Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Quake/tremor - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 18th, 2008 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Posted: Fri Apr 18th, 2008 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

hmmmm Elvis was born in Tupelo Mississippi and Andrew Jackson was born in South Carolina .  Davy and Al were born in Tennessee. 

Now Dolly Parton was born in Tennessee as was Loretta Lynn.

Posted: Fri Apr 18th, 2008 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: hmmmm Elvis was born in Tupelo Mississippi and Andrew Jackson was born in South Carolina .  Davy and Al were born in Tennessee. 

Now Dolly Parton was born in Tennessee as was Loretta Lynn.

(But Elvis died at and is buried at Graceland in Memphis, TN. I have visited his home and grave.)

BACK to EARTHQUAKES:  One time in Venezuela, Hubby, my eldest son and I were having a very heated argument at the top of the stairs of all places. Suddenly a very bad earthquake hit and the entire house was rocking like a cruiseship in a Cat 3. We could hear the walls grinding and had little confidence the house would remain standing.

Well, that argument ended  FAST.  We forgot what it was about and the three of us ran down those stairs so fast and out of the house at the breakneck speed. In fact, we were skipping steps as we ran down the stairs, taking two and three at a time.

That city had been totally flattened by a severe eathquake in the 1800s. We weren't going to stay inside while we waited to find out if this one would be a repeat. All our neighbors were outside too and spent the night outside.

Posted: Sun Apr 20th, 2008 09:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Widow

Mana: 

We lived on the top floor of a brand-new 17-story apartment tower in Caracas, Venezuela.  On New Year's Eve we felt the building sway and saw cracks form in the walls.  My husband said "Let's get out of here!"

So we took the elevator down.

The next morning we asked our friends if they felt anything.  No, they didn't, because their house was on the ground.

We didn't know that 10 years earlier, a quake had destroyed the building on the very same site, as the fault is only a block away.  You can see the fault line running down the mountain side into the downtown area.

Posted: Sun Apr 20th, 2008 10:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Gosh, that is amazing and what a coincidence! Could we have been in Venezuela at the same time? I think that earthquake hit us in Valencia about 1991 or 92. I am not sure. Our ten foot high garden wall separated from our house. We had wall cracks too.

In 1812 there was an earthquake near Caracas that killed 26000 people, an enormous sum for those times in South America. I cannot find out for sure, but that may have been the same one that flattened Valencia, Maracay and Barquisimeto.

Posted: Mon Apr 21st, 2008 12:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Gunner

Mana: 

Great! Now we will probably have a tornado rip up Southern California!

(it has occurred here on a small scale)

Gunner.

Posted: Mon Apr 21st, 2008 04:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
ole

Mana: 

When we get earthquakes in flyover country, Gunner, you are surely in line for tornadoes. (And you are welcome to them.)

Heck. Next thing you know, Iowa will be under water and y'all will be in Oz. One thing you learn early on the plains, is what a wall cloud looks like.

ole

Posted: Mon Apr 21st, 2008 04:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Sure did Gunner.  We had a tornado in Huntington Beach about 20 years ago that took off the roof of a friends house , peeled it back.  Her son was in the bedroom and was hysterical I have heard .  I was out of town at the time so didn't experience it .  By the way theirs was the only house so damaged.

Susan

Posted: Mon Apr 21st, 2008 04:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole , Keep your tornados thank you very much.
Susan

Posted: Mon Apr 21st, 2008 06:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

One of the problems with the UK is we only have to suffer a couple of inches of snow, a minor tremor, or similar, but 'END OF CIVILISATION' is still heralded from the TV and newspapers whilst the transport network collapses. All a bit embarrassing, really.

Posted: Mon Apr 21st, 2008 02:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
64thNYDrummer

Mana: 

Widow: You are lucky you could take the elevator down. I was in a hotel in Orange County when the last big one hit down there. Don't recall the floor I was on but the elevators stopped working and it seemed like a long way down the stairs carrying a garment bag and a large, full briefcase.

I think David is right about the New Madrid fault, but we are overdue for an ice age as well.
Dennis

Posted: Mon Apr 21st, 2008 05:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Dennis , isn't it nice others get to experience earthquakes ?  They are always saying they don't want to live in California because of them.  Now they have come to the midwest. 

Seriously I have always been taught to never get on an elevator in an earthquake for exactly the reason you stated.  They tend to stop. 

A friend of mine was just going to step into the elevator at the City Hall in San Jose just as the Loma Pirita Earthquake hit.  She made a big dive for under her desk instead.  The building was tall enough they figured it sway several inches both ways during the quake. 

She had an Old California style bungalow which had to be inspected before she could re enter it  .  Soooooo she camped in her backyard for several days.  s

Susan

Posted: Mon Apr 21st, 2008 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
Marie

Mana: 

Here in flyover country when the tornado siren goes off we stand outside and watch the sky.  An earthquake would scare the sh*t out of me( if i was awake.)

Regards from NW Ohio, where I slept through the frame destroying one last week.

Jana

Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 03:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
ole

Mana: 

At O dark 30, AM, you just gotta know that I was tucked snugly beneath several blankets and missed the whole thing. Checked around and saw no books spilled, no crockery broken and the dog didn't seem to be overly excited. Oh well. Guess I'll wait for the next storm front to stand in my front lawn looking for tails.

ole

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 09:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Widow

Mana: 

CleburneFan, our little tremor in Caracas was Dec. 31, 1980.  We lived in La Floresta district, just a few blocks from the American Embassy, where I worked.  No doubt the whole town has rocked many times since then.  Valencia is a pretty town.  We loved Venezuela!  Patty

Current time is 06:26 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4063 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.