Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War Battlefield Maps. - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 29th, 2008 01:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
ole

Mana: 

slowtrot: That link came up with listings for the "Official Atlas." Will take it that it was intentional.

I note that one bookseller lists the Barnes & Noble edition for $160 and another for $30. I saw it in a B&N store sometime back for $20, brand new, no shipping.

Lesson, look at several sources. Abebooks.com insists that the condition be listed. From top to bottom, the cryptic descriptions are (approximately) new, as new, very fine, near fine, very good, good, fair, poor, and reading copy. Probably missed a few in here, but you get the idea.

Suggest that you contact your nearest B&N to see if it can be ordered and the price. Also suggest that, in an idle moment, you select a random book and get used to reading the listings in abebooks. Sometimes they can be elusive, but I've never had a bad experience with them.

ole

Posted: Sat May 3rd, 2008 06:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Here Come the Rebels!

Mana: 

Through your insight, I ended up getting both the West Point Atlas of the Civil War, and the Military Atlas of the Civil War.  The latter being the most massive tome to bend back the legs on any good coffee table!!

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Posted: Sat May 3rd, 2008 08:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Thank you all for your suggestions.

There is no greater compliment than to be asked.

ole

Posted: Sun May 4th, 2008 03:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

It is a massive book and trust me don't run into it barefooted when it is leaning against the coffee table.  It hurts

Susan

Posted: Sun May 4th, 2008 03:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Knew it would double post.  

I keep looking for a small atlas that I can carry with me.  I have decided to just look in the books I have and find the maps I want and make me one copy to carry with the book to refer to as I read.  Also the ones you get from Civil War Preservation Trust help somewhat with some books. 

Susan

Last edited on Sun May 4th, 2008 03:32 am by susansweet

Posted: Sun May 4th, 2008 04:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Here Come the Rebels!

Mana: 

Hi Susan,

One "thin" book that you might consider is "A Battlefield Atlas of the Civil War".  I took it with me on a weeklong trip and it 'quietly slipped' into my backpack quite unnoticed, yet holds a great deal of information.  I like it because it gives an overview of each battle, and each campaign, has maps that are "talked through" so you get the feeling of the movement of the battle day, and Craig Symonds adds a little bit of arcane minutia into each battle or campaign.

(Also, it doesn't weigh as much as the car, nor take up as much room in the garage!!)

Posted: Sun May 4th, 2008 01:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

I agree that Craig Symonds' Battlefield Atlas of the Civil War is a must.  I have taken it on every battlefield tour I have made.  Clear maps and good, concise explanations of each battle.

The book was created from a course Symonds' taught on the Civil War at the U.S. Naval Academy.

Posted: Sun May 4th, 2008 04:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks so much for the information .  I found a copy on amazon used books for less than two dollars plus shipping .  I ordered it right away.  Who knew Goodwill sold books on line now. 

Susan

Posted: Sun May 4th, 2008 08:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I can't really add anything to what has already been said, but I must say, as a cartographer myself, my eyes glaze over and a little bit of drool slides out the side of my mouth with all this map talk. Keep up the wonderful discussion! I love this kind of stuff! You guys are talking about some of my heroes.

Posted: Sun May 4th, 2008 08:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

I had never heard of Symonds' Battlefield Atlas before this thread and as I too am a lover of maps I have just ordered a copy from Amazon UK knowing that if all you guys recommend it then it must be good.
I have Gottfrieds' Maps of G/burg sitting on the shelf which I cannot bring myself to start until I know I have the time to devote to it as I know that once started all else will be left unattended until I have finished it

Posted: Sun May 4th, 2008 09:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Tim,  My mother always said I was born with a book in my hand.  If that is true , my father would have told you the other hand held a map. 

I always tell people my brother and I were personally responsible for people having to pay for maps in gas stations as  when I was a child traveling on old Route 66 each summer every gas station we stopped at was hit up for maps.  We would walk back to the car with handfuls of maps.

I collected maps everywhere .  My dad taught me to read a road map when I was five. I taught others in High School when as part of drivers ed you had to learn to read a map.

I was told as a first grade teacher I did not need a set of wall maps and a goble when the school purchased those for other grades.  I just needed a map of the United States. 

I managed to change two different principals minds .  My classroom had up to date world and US wall maps , a primary globe that sat on the floor where my kids could use it , a huge floor puzzle of the USA and a set of placemat type us on one side world on the other laminated maps. 

Needless to say  I taught my kids to read maps.

So when I got involved with reading about the Civil War I have to have maps to tell me where I am .  I am so excited about getting a new map book in the mail

When I won the  Offical Military one at a Conference my friends said I had the biggest grin as I walked back to my seat hugging my new book.

So glad to know there are other map lovers out there. 

Susan

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2008 08:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

ole wrote: Sounds like what you want is the "official Military Atlas of the Civil War. It was done to accompany the Official Records.

At one time, it was worth $75, and it's way too big to fit on your shelves. Just guessing here, but it's about 16" by 20 ". The good news: Barnes & Noble has reprinted it. Last time I saw, it was about $20.

These are mostly maps made at the time, if not on the spot. Some are very good. Many are not. But all are what was known about the field at the time.

ole

I highly, highly recommend this one as well.  I think I got incredibly lucky and purchased my copy out of a bargain bin at a brick and mortar Barnes & Noble store for something like $15!

Posted: Tue May 6th, 2008 01:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
caswain

Mana: 

I've found for my on the road atlases, the "Civil War Battlefield Guide" from the Conservation Fund (in both editions) quite useful. While topographical maps are given overlays of the major tactical movements, not all battles are so illustrated. For instance many of the Shenandoah Valley battlefields were shorted. A close second is the "Official Virginia Civil War Battlefield Guide." While restricted to Virginia, the guide offers (non-topographical) maps for nearly every battle in the Commonwealth. The maps also indicate locations of interpretive markers for the lesser known sites.

Posted: Wed May 7th, 2008 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I have not seen nor heard of the "Official Virginia Civil War Battlefield Guide". I guess I found another way to stimulate the economy.

Posted: Wed May 7th, 2008 07:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
ole

Mana: 

Seriously, for a today map of the battlefield, you must have one by Trailhead Graphics. I'm not kidding. (Tim, when can I expect a check?)

ole

Posted: Wed May 7th, 2008 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Thanks, ole. As soon as I get my stimulus check, I'll bounce some your way. Honestly, I appreciate the kudos. I'm humbled.

Current time is 01:28 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4170 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.