Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Vacations - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 03:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

if yall could go anywhere in the world and do anything while you were there, where would you go and what would you do?

i would go to every island that i can think of by ship and hang out with all the locals. id relax and party and have a good time. only problem is when i got down there i wouldnt leave.

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 11:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Take my wife back to Crete for a couple weeks then come back home.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 03:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
booklover

Mana: 

I'd love to travel through Europe like I had planned to do when I was young and foolish and poor...now, of course, I'm older, foolish and poor, so the chances of that happening are slim to none.

I'd like to go back to Gettysburg and get to stay as long as I want to this time.

Best
Rob

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 04:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

I'd like to take a trip to the Holy Land wtih the kids. Assuming, of course, that we wouldn't get shot at, blown up, or otherwise disembowled whist there. Like with the battle fields we go to I'd like to show them that the places they hear about every Sunday aren't just names or something from another dimension. They are real places with real stories. Probably go with my priest and his family....his kids are the same ages as mine and we have the same love of digging up historical minutia. HOWEVER, there are two main things holding us back...Political Instability and, of course, $$$$.

Failing that, similar to Bama & booklover, go explore some more battlefields. Sharpsburg would be nice. I really want to take the kids there. Maybe even camp nearby. Probably not this year though. Gas prices have put the kabosh on most of our summer ideas.

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 04:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

I would love to follow the trail of Lewis and Clark, go to the beaches at Normandy, ANY Civil War battlefield, or basically anything historical!

But since Gettysburg and Antietam are so close, I will visit them when I can (this Sunday for one!), and will have all kinds of info on the new visitors center on Monday morning! 

Chuck

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 04:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Oh, just about anywhere. Why should reality interfere with my travel plans?
My dream trips currently include:

- getting on a train at the top of Scotland and riding the railways all the way across Europe and Asia to Vladivostock (day 4 of the Trans-Siberian...more tundra)
- driving a '57 Chevorlet across the continental US
- Hiking in South America

Of course, I'm happy enough sitting by the river with a book and a pint (I did that yesterday afternoon, in fact)...

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I would like to finish my trips following the Oregon Trail and Lewis and Clark Trails.  I have done parts of them but not the whole thing.  Big section in the middle I missed on Lewis and Clark,  Beginings of Oregon Trail. 

Spend more time visiting battlefields .  and other historical sites all over the United States. 

I did the Eurail pass when I was young substitute teacher  and living at home so saved money for the summer .  Loved it then.  Not sure I wouldn't want to travel first class all the way now.  That said I would love to return to England and see more of the country outside London.  Never did get to Cantabury or Stonehenge. 

Spend time seeing the historical sites and museums of Washington .  I have two friends whose names are on the Wall.  I need to visit them. 

See the sites of New York.  Go to the top of the Empire State Building .  Ride a carriage in the park.  Go to the Museums.  Visit Tiffany's .  I loved the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's .  I don't look anything like Audry Hepburn but I can pretend.  See a Broadway show.  Stand in Times Square . 

Guess that is enough for now.

Susan

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Sorry, can't choose between mine:

1) Back home to Pa. to see 2 grandkids I've never seen.

2) Israel. I'm not religious, but all religious connections aside, it's some of the most historic land on earth.

3) Rome - again for the history.

Posted: Sat Apr 26th, 2008 12:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: if yall could go anywhere in the world and do anything while you were there, where would you go and what would you do?

i would go to every island that i can think of by ship and hang out with all the locals. id relax and party and have a good time. only problem is when i got down there i wouldnt leave.

Dixie Girl, there is a fairly cheap way you can do a similar thing and come close to the experience you crave. Take Royal Caribbean's  Majesty of the Seas four-night cruise out of Miami during off season when the prices are lowest. That ship has port calls in Nassau, its fabulous private island Coco Cay and in Key West.

Both Coco Cay and Key West are tropical islands. In Key West you can hang out with the locals with no anxiety because they speak your language and use American currency. If you hurry you will not even need a passport, but that requirement kicks in soon and a passport will be required to travel on a cruise ship out of  US waters. Key West is such a cool ,neat , zany little city. It has Civil War history too. Its harbour was where the US Navy took all the captured blockade runners and their ships. 

Coco Cay is a piece of Paradise, so tranquil and the ocean water is jeweled shades of blue. The palm trees sway and there are hammocks to enjoy. The ship has a free beach barbeque.

Nassau is NOT what it used to be, a British-influenced outpost where several James Bond movies were filmed. It is much more commercial and "touristy" now, but a treat none the less, because you do get a taste of the tropical and British and Bahamian rolled into one.  

The ship is one of Royal Caribbean's smallest and oldest, but the crew is very friendly, the food is great and included in the price and the entertainment is spectacular given that it is on a ship and not land.

By the way, if you do find that one day you can visit some Caribbean tropical islands by ship, please let me know. I'll be happy to tell you what islands I find to be extra special and what ships are good bets. You can also visit the Hawaiian Islands by ship.

Last edited on Sat Apr 26th, 2008 12:45 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sat Apr 26th, 2008 11:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Some of my favorite vacation places:

1. Hawaii - fabulous surf and beaches

2. Nevis - my favorite island in the Carribean

3. Florence, Italy and Brugge, Belgium - two of the richest art and history cities in Europe

4. Any battlefield

5. Scotland - visited there last year for a golfing trip.  I love the old courses and the Scottish approach to golf.

Posted: Sat Apr 26th, 2008 06:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Would want to go to Sicily and see my Fathers Family of whom we have not had much contact with over 60 years. I called there once and got one of my cousins on the phone and they "No speakie' the engel-ish" so I not speakie the Italian either. But still would like to go...2nd choice would be take a year off (like I can afford it) and go across country and visit all the CW fields I could in that time...WIfe would not take to it to well so I probably would have to stop in Omaha Nebraska to see her brother and his family..( may take some of the fun out of it but one has to comprimise )
Huma

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 03:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Have just returned today from 2 weeks mouse hunting in Florida with the grandchildren, had a terrific time but now need another holiday to recover, so tiring, unfortunately though it is back to work tomorrow! Given the chance I would be back to Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania for a battlefield fix or to Upper New York State, the Finger Lakes and the Adirondaks, possibly the most restfultrip I've ever been on, finishing at my friend's place in rural Connecticut.

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 04:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Fedreb, I gotta ask, what the heck is mouse hunting?  Does it mean taking the grandkids on walks in the woods, looking for mice or moose or tigers?

I live near so many battlefields, and haven't seen enough of them.  So my Civil War vacation would start here at home.

My second love is opera, from early childhood.  A dream vacation would be a luxury hotel suite in Manhattan with the best seat in the house for the entire season of the Met opera.  Then the next season in Milan for La Scala.  St. Petersburg for the Kirov.  Paris, London, Vienna.

Hm.  To do that, ISO a sugar daddy.  I'd have to outlive him, of course.  I don't know any lonely rich old men.

Guess I'll stick with what I've got, I'm happy right here.

Patty

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 04:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Widow wrote: Fedreb, I gotta ask, what the heck is mouse hunting?  Does it mean taking the grandkids on walks in the woods, looking for mice or moose or tigers?

Patty

My guess is he is referring to Mickey Mouse and that he took the kids to DisneyWorld, a very tiring activity indeed.

Widow, if you want a sugar daddy, there are good pickings in Palm Beach, FL. Trouble is, those guys maintain an entire corps of estate lawyers, body guards and an assorted cast other charatcers to see that you don't come within a mile of them.:D

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 04:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Sorry for being so obscure Widow , Cleburnefan has it right, we have spent 2 tiring weeks doing the Disney( and other) theme Parks.

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 05:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Fedreb and CleburneFan,

Duh-me (smacks forehead with palm).  I truly live in the wrong century, to forget about Disney World etc.  Never been there myself, though my step-grandchildren have been.

CF, thanks for the tip about sugar daddies in Palm Beach.  Believe I'll pass, thanks anyway.  :=))  Patty

Posted: Mon Aug 4th, 2008 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I'd go to England, Scotland, and Ireland. All my ancestors are from that area so it would be like a homecoming of sorts.
I'd also love to go to Napoleon's tomb and Waterloo.
I'm fulfilling one of my goals next year with a trip to Japan.
First Okinawa then off to Tokyo...and any other spots we can fit in.

Current time is 12:36 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.6937 seconds (45% database + 55% PHP). 29 queries executed.