Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Allow me to Introduce Myself - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 06:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
funhistory

Mana: 

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I've just joined the Discussion Board, and I thought that a proper introduction was in order.

As executive director of the Museum of Funeral Customs in Springfield, IL, our curator and I completed seven years of research on CW field embalming and funeral service in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and then we went public in 2006 by offering field demos at re-enactments in Illinois.  We portray embalming surgeons Drs. C. B. Chamberlain and Benjamin F. Lyford, and with the help of volunteers, we're able to walk spectators through the process of preparing remains on the field for shipping or burial.

Our backgrounds are in American history and museums, and we see this as an extension of the Museum's educational programming efforts.  You might like to visit the Museum's web site at http://www.funeralmuseum.org.  Feel free to stop by as well as ask questions.

I've always been fascinated by the War, and my CW ancestors served the North and include the Regimental Chaplain (direct line) and Regimental Surgeon (collateral line) of the 122nd IL Infantry Vols, the Hospital Steward of the 18th KY Infantry Vols, and various privates, corporals, and sargeants in IL regiments.

I look forward to meeting you in time.

Your humble servant,

Jon Austin

aka Dr. Benjamin Lyford, Embalming Surgeon, Washington City, D.C.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 07:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Marie

Mana: 

Welcome  :)

A group of us from the Civil War Home Chat room visited your museum in October of 2006 and found it fascinating. 

I hope to return one day.

Regards from NW Ohio,

Jana

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 10:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

welcome, we're glad to have you on here

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 05:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Widow

Mana: 

funhistory, what a great handle!  Welcome to this place.

At the reenactment of the Battle of Cedar Creek, sutlers' row featured an enterprising mortician with a list of prices chalked on a display board, something like this:

Privates, $2.  Sergeants, $5.  Lieutenants, $10.  Captains, $15.  Yankees, $25.

Widow, aka Patty

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 09:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Hello Jon.

Sounds like a fascinating collection.

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 02:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Welcome Jon!

Glad to have you here and hope to learn more about your "hobby" in the near future!

Chuck

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 06:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

Are you a man of weath and taste, who's been around for a long, long time? ;)

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Jul 21st, 2011 12:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
bubba389m

Mana: 

Hello all from England.

There is always an arguement over past lives.Many will say rubbish others agree.Myself I have an affinity with 11th Alabama and Fredricksberg (first battle) I call my partner Melanie 'Bubba' and haven't a clue where that is from?

As a 15 year old in the 70's was part of 13th Alabama in the Southern Skirmishes Association in U.K.always preferred gray to blue and generally would frightened the hell out of anyone with mt rebel yell !

Be I mad or not I will always support the South not slavery though !

Have a great day all !

Paul in Devon England

Posted: Sat Jul 23rd, 2011 04:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ole

Mana: 

"Bubba" can be taken two ways. Some will find it jocular; some will find it insulting.

"Bubba" may be the 6'6" 400-pound man you might have to share a cell with for the next ten years. Or he might be the guy you spend a whole night with drinking beer and telling jokes.

He might be the guy that you spend all night with hunting raccoons with or the guy that flips you off while cutting closely in front of you in traffic.

It might be associated with "trailer trash" or it might be your best buddy.

Posted: Wed Jul 27th, 2011 12:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
seicken

Mana: 

Hello everyone,
I just came back from Gettysburg and WOW what an experience!! It sure has sparked my interest in the Civil War. I have a great grandfather who was in the War.
I live in west central Illinois and trying to find someone to get in touch with??
Looks like I can learn alot form this forum.

Posted: Wed Jul 27th, 2011 03:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

ole wrote: "Bubba" can be taken two ways. Some will find it jocular; some will find it insulting.

"Bubba" may be the 6'6" 400-pound man you might have to share a cell with for the next ten years. Or he might be the guy you spend a whole night with drinking beer and telling jokes.

He might be the guy that you spend all night with hunting raccoons with or the guy that flips you off while cutting closely in front of you in traffic.

It might be associated with "trailer trash" or it might be your best buddy.

Or he might be the guy in your baby sisters class in high school who tended to stick up for half the girls in the class. That was the case with one of the guys in my baby sister's class, guy was nicknamed Bubba (guessing because he was a big guy though certainly not 6'6" 400lb) and if he considered the girls friends of his he'd stick up for them even against his own buddies.

Current time is 05:05 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3717 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 29 queries executed.