Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Thomas Jackson photograph - Thomas Stonewall Jackson - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Apr 26th, 2008 08:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
renee

Mana: 

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but.... I've been searching in vain for a photograph of Thomas Jackson that I saw in the Ken Burn's Civil War series. I'm not even sure where the photo was taken, but he's standing in front of a tent, sort of sideways and his arm is resting on a fence.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Posted: Sat Apr 26th, 2008 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Renee - I've seen it and may have it here somewhere. May be in "Photographic History of the Civil War". I'll see if I can locate it.

Posted: Sat Apr 26th, 2008 09:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
renee

Mana: 

Oh, that would be awesome! Thank you for looking- I've hunted for that photo off and on the last couple years now.

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 08:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Renee
Try going to http://www.whonu.com and search for Thomas Stonewall Jackson.  Then look at the "Images".  There are hundreds of "hits".  Perhaps the image you are seeking is one of them. 

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 12:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
renee

Mana: 

ashbel, I actually tried that the other day when I saw the link posted under 'research techniques' but still couldn't find it! The only place i have ever seen this particular photo is in the Ken Burn's series! I wish I knew where it was taken, maybe that would help.

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 02:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

If I recall the photo Renee's talking about correctly, it was a very informal pose - facing left, one foot resting on botton post of fence. Thing that got me was that I believe he didn't have the coat of his uniform on. Some type of white shirt I believe. That sound right Renee?

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 07:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
renee

Mana: 

No, that doesn't sound like the photo I'm talking about. Maybe I'd like to find that one too though. Sure sounds like one I haven't seen yet.

Maybe this will work- my son pointed out to me that the Ken Burns series has been put onto youtube so I searched and found the part with photo: it's episode 3 and if this link works, it's shown beginning at 6:37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ksS-KjYs_Q&feature=related

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 08:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
renee

Mana: 

yes, that's it. I'd really like to get a good copy of it if it's in a book somewhere?

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 08:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
renee

Mana: 

yes, that's it. I'd really like to get a good copy of it if it's in a book somewhere?
do you know where the photo was taken?

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Renee,

I don't, but maybe someone else will. Gotta say, I'm still not 100% convinced it's him - just my opinion. I still think it may be in the Photographic History of the Civil War, but I'm currently ripping my office apart to reconfigure it for the new job and it may be some time before I have time to search. Good luck with it!

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 11:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Javal, I agree with you that it might not be Jackson.  Many men had dark untrimmed beards, and the crushed kepi was common.  That figure is tall and lean, but again, so were many others.  Still, it's fun to think about.  Patty

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Renee,

I also have to agree with Joe and Widow that the odds are long that it's a picture of Jackson.

First off, there are only two known photographs of Jackson taken during the war years, and both of them are portraits. One of them was a front view taken in Winchester in 1862, and the other was a famous three-quarter profile taken two weeks before he was killed at Chancellorsville.

My volumn of the 'Photopgraphic History of the Civil War,' under the last picture of Jackson taken, states "Only once had a war photograph of Jackson been taken up to April, 1863, when, just before the movement toward Chancellorsville, he was persuaded (by his wife) to enter a photographer's tent at Hamilton's Crossing, some three miles below Fredericksburg, and to sit for his last portrait."

I have seen the picture above previously that Joe has provided, and for the life of me, I can't find it in any of my books. Although the man on the left bears a passing resemblance to Stonewall, there are some things that don't 'feel' right about it. Most apparent is the jacket he's wearing — most officers wore jackets with a double row of buttons (as seen in the two wartime photos of Jackson), and this man has a single row. Also, there is no indication of rank, although I think Jackson wore an unadorned uniform.

Another thought is that there just weren't that many photos taken of Confederates by Confederate photojournalists, especially in the field, mostly because there weren't that many Confederate photojournalists. A photo like that would be intrinsically rare. Case in point: How many pictures of Confederate officers can you think of that are not portraits or CDVs? A few do exist, like the picture of Lee on Traveller in Petersburg in 1864, but apparently not many.

I would also hazard to guess that if this were a picture of Jackson, it would have been identified as such years ago, and most surely by the photographer who took it.

This is not to say it's not a picture of Jackson, but I'd say the odds are long against it. But I'll keep looking.

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 05:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
renee

Mana: 

Well, I don't know what to say or think now. I wasn't intending to debate whether or not it was him. I assumed since they were talking about Thomas Jackson and showing that photo and zooming in on that figure, that they were saying it was him. Maybe if I could find the photo somewhere else it will give some sort of explanation??? another source? I don't know.

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 05:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
ole

Mana: 

Seems to me that the photo of "Jackson" is skinnier than my mind's picture of Stonewall. And yes, no rank insignia, however subdued, and I don't see TJ having a casual conversation with a couple of "the guys."

Just a thought.

ole

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 05:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Renee,

No worries - this is actually a "fun" debate. And if Burns used it as a pic of Stonewall, it certainly deserves scrutiny. I personally am pleased you brought it to our attention.

Ole - agreed about the casual posture of the subject. Nothing I ever read of the man gave me the impression that he would be this casual among his men, let alone stand still for it for the period it took in those days for the pic to be taken. And that uniform is just way wrong...

Current time is 09:44 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2259 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 30 queries executed.