Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

i need help - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat May 10th, 2008 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
sassygirl

Mana: 

hi i need help i cant find most of the info. can some one help me? if so email me @ cheer10@swbell.net

Posted: Sat May 10th, 2008 03:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
1stsgtmacmillan

Mana: 

Sassygirl:

What exactly do you need help with? Neil

Posted: Sat May 10th, 2008 04:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

someone to do the work for her LOL , least thats what I would of been looking for LOL

Posted: Sat May 10th, 2008 05:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
sassygirl

Mana: 

i need help finding th number of actual hospitals durring the civil war not homes tht were turned into hospital how many there actualy were

Posted: Sat May 10th, 2008 06:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
1stsgtmacmillan

Mana: 

HAve you tried the army historical institute at Carlyle , PA or the web site for Walter Reed medical centre? Neil

Posted: Sat May 10th, 2008 07:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

In writing an article for Drum Barracks I found many sites that relate to Civil War hospitals.  I just googled Civil War hospitals.  Give it a try.

Posted: Sun May 11th, 2008 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

The Civil War Medicine Museum in Frederick, MD has a web site.You might even be able to call them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Posted: Sun May 11th, 2008 02:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Sassy, are you looking only for "brick and mortar" hospitals or would temporary field hospitals count? What about tent hospitals such as the very large Union  hospital co that included dozens of small tents constructed at Gettysburg after the battle was over.

Also, when you do your search, it might be helpful to separate your search into Union hospitals and Confederate hospitals.

Last edited on Sun May 11th, 2008 02:14 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sun May 11th, 2008 06:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
sassygirl

Mana: 

no the hosptal have to have been there befor the war started

Posted: Sun May 11th, 2008 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

That presents a challenge, Sassy Girl. Many hospitals were built in response to the Civil War  because the need for military hospitals on a grand scale did not exist prior to the Civil War. The last major war for the United States before the Civil War was the Mexican War from 1846 until the peace accord was signed in 1848. That was fifteen years before hostilities broke out in the Civil War. 

But now I am curious. No disrespect to your instructor, but it seems like a really unusual question..."How many brick and mortar hospitals existed in the US before the Civil War that became military hospitals during the war? Name them." Or is the question, "How many military hospitals existed in the US before the Civil War?"

I was a teacher at one time. I presume there is some point to this question or the exercise of researching such a question just for the sake of learning how to do research. Of course, it is probably taken out of context and the research is done within the context of a history course or a research course.

Your question might make a terrific trivia question over at our Trivia Quiz here.:D

Good luck in your research, Sassy Girl. Try a Google search using the words "Civil War military hospitals."

Last edited on Sun May 11th, 2008 11:10 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Tue May 13th, 2008 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
sassygirl

Mana: 

thanks but i have looked all over and still cant find it

Posted: Wed May 14th, 2008 01:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Sassy Girl, could you please tell us the EXACT question as your teacher phrased it? You see, so many ofthe hospitals were tent hospitals or were permanent structures with tents as auxiliaries that served overflow. Also, many hospitals were not permanent but were set up during and after major battles, but did not last for the duration of the war.

If you cannot supply us with your teacher's EXACT phrasing of the assignment, I suggest that you do a state-by-state search of Civil War hospitals on the Internet through Google. Be sure to include Pennsylvania, but do not include states that were not yet considered to be states from 1861 to 1864.

Last edited on Wed May 14th, 2008 01:59 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Mon May 19th, 2008 11:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
sassygirl

Mana: 

thanks but i got it right now im good i found the answer

Posted: Tue May 20th, 2008 12:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Congratulations, Sassy Girl. I hope you learned a lot.

Posted: Mon Jun 2nd, 2008 06:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
HistoryBummer

Mana: 

I wrote an article for Thomson-Gale a few months ago about Hospitals in the war and found a post-war report completed by...crud...was it the Surgeon General?  Barnes was his name, I believe, it's been a while since I looked at it...
anyway, I was able to download in PDF format his entire post-war report (more of a multi-volume report numbering in the thousands of pages) which had DETAILED reports on existing hospitals, numbers of troops in each one and...well, with thousands of pages, a myriad of information categories that I can't begin to list. 
Obviously not for our high school student, but an interesting find for those of you interested in the war's medical history...

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

Would like to hear more about links to that report, Bummer. No, you aren't asked to go back over it, just dig in your memory where you found it. Thanks for responding and welcome.

ole

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 11:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
HistoryBummer

Mana: 

I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home I'll check again. I seem to remember it was part of a University Website, and they had literally scanned in the entire book (all 6 of them) from cover to cover and you could download the monster files in high resolution PDF files. It's a pretty incredible report - I was amazed at first, having grown up in the computer age, that they were able to so accurately keep track of the massive amount of data, and then to report it so succinctly...I guess it's just another sign of the statistical and informational enfeebling that goes along with computer reliance...but I digress - I'll look into it and get back to you as soon as I can.

Posted: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008 11:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
HistoryBummer

Mana: 

Wow, I found that much easier than I thought I would!
It's a 6 volume text - the link will send you to a page where you can download one of the volumes, but if you click on the 'keywords' links, you will be able to find the other ones.  I seem to remember that one of the volumes was missing at the time I was writing.  Anyhow, it's a report compiled by Joseph Barnes entitled "The Medical and Surgical History of the war of the Rebellion (1861-1865).
And, as promised, here's the link:
http://www.archive.org/details/medicalsurgical32barnrich

It took a LONG time to download each one...they are obviously huge files!
Enjoy and let me know what you think.
-Bummer

Current time is 04:34 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2060 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.