Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

How to research - Where to begin & how to get started - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat May 17th, 2008 02:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
deidreconine

Mana: 

I have recently started to trace my family tree and my father asked me to find a relative who fought in the war. I promised him i would but i have no idea where or how to start.  Could someone please give me some advice!!!

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun May 18th, 2008 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

The easiest place to start, (from what I gather from reading this sort of thing -- there are others who know a whole bunch about it) is what is the relatives name? Where was he born?

From what I gather from our genalogy geniuses, you have to have a starting point. A name is required. Where he was living in 1860 is an even better place to start. You will get some fine responses if you can narrow the search to, at least, a name.

ole

ole

Posted: Sun May 18th, 2008 02:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Yes every bit of info on the person counts. Some time discriptive information can tell a person apart from another once we get a name.

Posted: Sun May 18th, 2008 03:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

As mentioned in previous posts, the nps soldiers/sailor website, ancestry.com are quick ways to start if you have a name and state for the individual.

Doc C

Posted: Sun May 18th, 2008 07:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

footnote is cheeper to get a copy of the records if they have it much cheaper when they do.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 06:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

Having gone through this process for my mother's family, starting with very little information, here are my suggestions:

1) see if your family surname has a genealogy forum on the internet; just "google": "[Surname] famly forum" and the URL will come up; usually there is a "parent" of the forum (normally women) who have CDs from services, etc. and are family experts; most likely someone has already done your line or parts of it and you'll find cousins.

2) go to your local library anf find out what genealogical sources they have: database services to ancestry.com, etc. With ancestry.com you can view, not only the census, you ancestor is listed on, but also his CW service record--which doesnt' say much, unfortunately; also use the old census books, as sometimes mistakes are made in both.

3) if you have to back track from start--start with a gparent who was living in 1930 at the latest--this is the last year all the names of persons in a family were listed on the census individually (and 1850 the earliest)--go back as far as you can--identifying males by name you're looking for

4) find the county your ancestor was living in and find the county history done probably in the 1880s (for help go to http://www.nypl.org > CATNYP > keyword search); and some are being redone currently; look for other local information such as books on marriages. Use the nypl.org to look for family books, too.

5) go to http://www.findagrave.com -- look for grave site

By going back and forth between the Genealogy forums (also search related families), the census data, and county histories, I was able to quickly fill in most of my mother's line. However, sometimes, people just are not in the census (if they were not at home when the taker came, they did not get listed) or you have to go back very far (one ggggmother finally turned up in 1840 in NYC and was missing in the census book, but found on anceestry.com).

Also once you find the county your ancestor lived in you can write the county clerk for any records. The cost is about $2 a piece. The local library there might also have cemetery listings and other books.

Good luck!
CKL

Current time is 02:15 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1618 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.