Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg 2008 - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 03:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Sounds like it was a great trip, Bama. What do you think of NPS' efforts to restore Gettysburg to a more 1863 appearance??? I was there not long ago and the view from LRT is totally different. The Slaughter Pen area is much more visible.  I was overall quite impressed.

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 05:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Well said, Bama.  While not negating the valiant defense of LRT by Strong Vincents' brigade, I have always felt that the fight for Culps Hill was far more critical to the final union victory (and is far too often overlooked). 

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 10:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Bama

Agree with the above. LRT, even though an intergral part of GB, imho, highly over rated. I believe Chamberlain had a great deal to do with it's later elevation. East Cemetery and Culp's Hill were much more important than LRT in the whole scheme of things. By the way who was your guide. This same discussion concerning the relevance or lack thereof of LRT always gets 'em going everytime I visit.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 07:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

sounds like you had a great time.....im plannen on gettin up there one of these days. i think my folks are fixin to plan a trip up yonder but when we go we're gonna hit the Amish country and Hershey and i think the pretzel place. i wanna hit it all in one trip so they will take me to Vicksburg or Shiloh or somewhere else on another vacation

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 06:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Tom Wiehle

Mana: 

Bama46,  I envy your trip to Gettysburg, looks like you had John Krohn for your guide.  A very interesting man, he was originaly from MN not far from where I live.  Met him at a seminar about a dozen years ago or so and really enjoyed his company.  At that time he was studying for the guide test.      He had 3 Gr. Uncles in the war, one a Union doctor if I recall and two in Kershaws Brigade.
Tried to hook up with him my last visit to Gettysburg but it was late in the year and he had gone home to NC.  Hope to see him again if I get back to visit, and like I say, wish I had been with you!

Tom

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 12:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Bama,
I love the Burg but since visiting since 1991 I have learned alot about what the guides will tell you and sometimes what really happened. It seems you had a good one and if you ask questions and they know you have some kind of smarts about the battle they will indeed tell you more of the truth of the story as to the basic 2 hr tour. In fact LRT was not that important at all and although I have seen on video and written in books how important it was to the battle it really had little effect. Lee himself knew that and that is why he ordered the attack up the Emittsburg Road..Hoods men because of the tangled mess of the landscape ended up there and not by choice. That was the reason for Hoods protest of course is that he was orderd to attack up the Emmittsburg road in front of the round tops...There are more facts as such all around the field if you want to read about it...
Huma

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 03:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ed, how did you get them to stand still long enough to count them?  As a retired school teacher I find myself in sites with school tours and tend to want to start organizing them so they behave .  Drives me crazy when kids run amok.

I want to go to Gettysburg again sooooo bad. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 03:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

join the club Susan........i wanna go to Gettysburg real bad too

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 03:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I have been to Gettysburg twice but just want to go again.  I want to see the new visitors center and how the tree removal has changed the views.

Susan

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 02:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I should have known that!!!   Sounds like your trip was outstanding. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Jun 10th, 2008 03:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Bama,
Have to agree with youthere...I also felt that the exibits were confusing and the quarters are tight. I thought that the laying out of the Visiters Center may have been done a bit better..There are displays set up before you go into the Museam that take a lot of room up for such a small display and that room could have been used to expand the room in the exibit area. I was a bit dissapointed in the film they showed I think it was called "A new birth of freedom" that I paid 8 bucks to see. Informative to the non history buff but for someone who studys this period it really was a waste of money..The sound and projection are first class as is the seating so there was some plus to the endeaver. I like to looks of the outside of the building and think it does blend well with the landscape..The gift shop is a bit pricey but I guess they have to make some money somewhere..The airport style lines to get to the desk are a little unwelcome and seems to add an odd touch to the overall setup. The food in the cafeteria was nothing to write home to Mom about other than it also was a bit costly.
But all in all it is an improvement over the old visiters center that lies where Zieglers Grove was and I am told that once the Old center is down the Grove is to be replanted there...And thats a whole other story for Picketts charge that can be studied on. Hence I am convinced that the attacks were to end up there at the Grove
and not the Angle..A little study into the attack will convince the non believer since the Copse of trees at the time of the battle were only about 12 feet high and breaking the line there had no advantage..But the Grove had many advantages to assult Cemetery Hill...Well I could go on and on but thats not what this post is about...
Hope you all get to go there this summer it is my favorite field and I love the place..Would live there if it wasnt for the wife...;)
Huma

Current time is 09:39 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4641 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 35 queries executed.