Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

4 interpretations of TWBTS - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 02:02 am

21st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

I'm glad that I don't have a dog in this fight.......      

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 02:47 am

22nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Don't worry TD... unless I seve you up some roast beef and you can't find your dog. ;)

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 03:06 am

23rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Dog gone.....

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 01:33 pm

25th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Let's all take a deep breath.

Bama, on one hand I understand your frustration, but you insinuate that you knew this website was controversial in your original post. Let's face it, conservatives will disregard anything written on the ACLU website, even if it's true. Liberals will discount anything reported by FOX news, even if it's true. It's the nature of the beast.

On the other hand, I think the thread would be more productive if the concentration was on 1) the qualifications of the author, and 2) the merits of the article on a factual basis.

It's a nice relaxing Father's Day weekend. Let's not stress.

Posted: Sat Jun 14th, 2008 02:47 pm

26th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Bama46 wrote:
Lwe Rockwell is simply a place where a divergent number of folks publish their thoughts. Some write satire, others report on the economy, yet others poke fingers at the government and still others discuss politics. One even writes about his love of food...
Johan admits he has not read the article and still dismisses it because it appears on LRC and goes on to declare the writers to be Anti US...HUH? Which ones?, why? do their articles appear elsewhere or is LRC the exclusive window to the world for these anti Americal folk? Yes, and often.  On everything from a New Rebellion site that preaches outright support of the belief Timothy Macveigh was a martyr and goes so far as to support Al Queda, several White Supremist sites a couple neo nazi ones and my favorite is a staple of the Holocaust Denial movement.  I see nothing credible from the site, ever.  My opinion of the site is just that, my opinion but frankly I wouldn't spare the sweat from my left...  arm.  You are smarter than that and I have more respect for you.  Whenever I see someone I know to be intelligent and decent link to that site I shake my head in disbelief and realize that even the best can be suckered. 

Ole, when I state that Lincoln has become deified, does everything but pat me on the head and say "there there little boy, its all right, I know you aren't one of THEM". meanwhile everyone else is circling the wagons to protect Abe.

If I sound fustrated and angry, it is because I am.

Ed

Get frustrated get angry, now you understand how we who study history and the words of the people who were actually there feel about the nutbars at Lew Rockwell.  Just don't try to post too much that might be viewed as positive toward the US, her history or the men who defend her (past and present).  There are those that would call such a view a lie or ill informed... dare to praise the Emancipation Proclomation, the USCT or the accomplishments of the US soldier there and see what happens.  And God forbid Lincoln be viewed as anything but the anti-christ there.

Yes I rank that site up there with klan, nazi & holocaust denial sites.  I see little difference as all share one common thread; an absolute hatred of the US.  Though they cloak it in something else, dig deep enough and it's there... and I have never had to dig very deep.

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 05:44 pm

28th Post
David White

Mana: 

Bama:

Wow, Ted Rall does not further your argument that a rational argument may be found on that site. On the contrary anyone that wastes their time reading his drivel needs their head examined.

I always love the argument that you can't comment on the content without reading it. Well let's put the shoe on the other foot, if someone said there was an article about slavery and Lincoln by James McPherson, I could reasonably tell you what it says based on reading his material in the past. The same is true for LewRockwell.com.

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 07:39 pm

30th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Unless the libertarian Lew Rockwell tribe has changed stripes lately, I suspect a paraphrase of Jarvis’ 4 interpretations will be:

1)      Slavery, but probably not,

2)      Different economic systems in the North and the South, (but not based on 1) above ;)

3)      Trade deficit between the north and the south (the north was complicit and profiting from the non-issue of 1) above) who was forced, forced!, to pay for northern services it did not really need.

4)      Political rigidity on both sides that refused compromise (about non-issue 1) above) and was a precursor to the global political failures leading to World War One

5)      Nothing, including 1-4, above that libertarians would not have avoided…

The general tone at Lew Rockwell is to arrive at a conclusion and then find some (any) evidence to cling to...

HankC

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2008 02:06 am

32nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Well, I gotta say, this thread has me befuddled. Bama opened it with requests for feedback on an article. Instead, we've had nothing but criticism of the website itself. So I'm a liittle confused as to why, if for watever reason, you're not going to read the article, you even bother to respond?

I have of course heard about the website and never have visited it. So before I posted this I did. What I found was this: I didn't find it "Un-American. I did find it chock-full of your usual Liberterian drivel. I purposely didn't read the article because I have no desire to argue about the causes of seccession. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Having said all that, I would never presume that a particular article on there was crap if I wasn't willing to read it first. So let's go this route - agree that nobody is going to change anybody's mind about the website. Simply agree to disagree. But if anyone wants to actually read the article in question, then give your INFORMED opinion on it.

As usual, I've taken the route that will please no one. Therefore, I've done my job... =+++

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2008 02:36 am

34th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Actually Bama, I owe you a slight apology. I really was trying to be peace-maker, but I was working from memory and I recalled your original post as saying it was 4 interpretations of the causes of the war. I see now, upon checking, that you said "there is an excellent essay (MHO) by Gail Jarvis on the 4 interpretations of the war." So I apologize for that, but stand by my other comments which, by the way, agree with you. Namely, read the article if you want to debate the article, and don't judge it if you're not willing to.

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2008 05:21 am

35th Post
ole

Mana: 

Read the article and commented on it, as did izzy. Jarvis simply regurgitated the same stuff that's usually found on the site and others. Nothing new. I might have appreciated it more if he had something new to say. He didn't.

ole

Last edited on Tue Jun 17th, 2008 05:22 am by ole

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2008 02:46 pm

36th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Bama

Read the article.  It seems to me the "interpretations" are a justification for Jarvis's political agenda.

For those that haven't read the article the four interpretations for the causes of the War are:

1. Nationalism - saving the Union

2. Economic conflict - trade, tariffs, taxes, etc.

3. Inflexibility of the leaders - both North and South

4. "Social Justice"

Number 4 Jarvis explains in the following way:

"The decades preceding and following World War Two included a Marxian push for egalitarianism that wrought a significant change in the thinking of historians.  They decided that history should be written in a way that promotes "social justice."  So a fourth version of the causes of the war developed; a "neo-national" point of view.  According to this interpretation, the War is portrayed as a collision of conflicting social values; a culture of stagnating, repressive traditions (the South) versus a progressive and virtuous culture (the North).

"This clash of disparate social values, especially views on how to deal with slavery, culminated in the War.  Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. maintained that the institution of slavery was so inhuman that the violence of war was necessary to end it.  This school of historians claims that the War eliminated slavery in the South, dethroned an aristocracy; uplifted the less privileged and opened the door for the creation of a classless society for all races and groups.

"This is the version that is currently in vogue; favored by many contemporary historians, PBS, the History Channel and other media "experts."  This version will be frequently cited during next year's Lincoln Bicentennial celebration."

Jarvis goes on to explain that teaching this interpretation has led to our government's use of armed forces to "impose its concept of democracy upon other nations" and to excessive Civil Rights legislation.

I think Jarvis's own words do justice to his own "misinterpretation."  I don't blame those who have chosen not to take his article seriously.

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2008 05:01 pm

37th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Bama, you asked why someone wouldn't read it. I told you. I've not been back to the site in years; never had a reason big enough to overcome the disgust I got from it the first time.

If it's changed for the better excellent, I wish them all the luck in the world. If it hasn't... I haven't wasted anymore of my time there.

I do not fear words, any more than I fear absurdity. What I fear is when absurdity is believed. And those who will believe absurdities will commit atrocity.

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2008 08:54 pm

39th Post
ole

Mana: 

The kitchen is warm when dinner's in the oven. Pull up a chair, it won't take long.

ole

Posted: Tue Jun 17th, 2008 09:18 pm

40th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I've had enough. Watch for an announcement concerning the future of this board in the near future. Thread is locked.

Current time is 08:55 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4115 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 34 queries executed.