Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Abraham Lincoln - Abraham Lincoln - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 20th, 2013 10:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
81st Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

Word choice is critical to creating discussion versus combat. A lesson for both of us.

Posted: Fri Sep 20th, 2013 11:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
82nd Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

Texas Defender,

What part of my first post set you off? Was it just that you saw my name?

"Did Linoln actually "install pro union govenments"? I did not see this reflected in the link you provided.

The link says that that he took steps to encourage loyal governments and pro union sentiment, but installing implies that he selected the leaders and put them in place. As in the Webster's " to put (someone) in an official or important job". Can you cite an instance where actully installed a state govenment offical in a border state?"

Posted: Fri Sep 20th, 2013 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
83rd Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

Last edited on Fri Sep 20th, 2013 11:35 pm by MildMan

Posted: Fri Sep 20th, 2013 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
84th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Mildman-

Please reread my Post #80. I'm implementing what we agreed upon, though I had hoped for more.

Posted: Fri Sep 20th, 2013 11:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
85th Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

My bad, We agree no more posts with the your or my name in them.

Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2013 04:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
86th Post
HankC

Mana: 

barrydancer wrote:
Hellcat wrote: If that's the case, then why apply it only to those areas in open rebellion against the federal government? The border states were slave states and the Emancipation left the slaves there in bondage...The only slave states Lincoln actually had authority over during the war were the border states, so why not free the slaves there?
I'm trying to remember my grad school lectures from 5-6 years ago, but I think Lincoln left the border states alone for a couple of reasons.  One, he didn't feel he had the authority to interfere with slavery in places not in rebellion against the Union.  Two, and I'm paraphrasing, he felt the "push and pull of war" in the border states would do the job for him, as slaves left those areas for the North of their own volition.  On the latter point he was mostly proved correct, as large numbers of slaves from Maryland, Kentucky, etc. took the opportunity provided by the war to head North, crippling slavery in those states.

though the EP freed slaves in the rebelling areas of the country, it was the next logical step up from the 1st and 2nd confiscation acts.

the 1st confiscation act allowed confederate 'property' to be siezed.

the 2nd act freed slaves of confederate officials.

the EP took the next step and freed *all* slaves in the unoccupied south, regardless of owner.

one interesting side effect is that slaves in Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri freed themselves by fleeing *south* toward the union armies...

HankC

Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2013 04:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
87th Post
Brad Watson, Miami
imitating Lincoln all my life

Mana: 

Texas Defender wrote:
Brad Watson, Miami-

I'm not surprised that you assign yourself the authority to announce when Judgment Day comes for others. If you had lived in the 1850s, you might have made a loyal follower of John Brown.

I am quite content to have all of the members read your postings on the: "4 score" thread and on this one, as well as my postings, and decide for themselves which of us has gone over the edge.

Texas Def,

I did live in the 1850s; all our eternal souls pass through eternity through reincarnation and this has now been proven through the scientific method (including experimentation).

John Brown was the John the Baptist of his day. His actions heralded the return of the Christ.

I also invite everyone here to decide for themselves how someone could still be "defending" the evil actions taken by Texans in the Civil War?

-----------------------------

Everyone,

Synchronism of GOD=7_4 or coincidence?

After yesterday's 2nd Round of the PGA Tour Championship, Zach Johnson was in 7th place and Dustin Johnson was in 4th place.

Last edited on Sat Sep 21st, 2013 04:36 pm by Brad Watson, Miami

Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2013 04:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
88th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

BradWatson, Miami-

In today's world, John Brown would be known as a terrorist. I'm not surprised that he is a hero to you. He was the cause of dozens of deaths. Did John the Baptist hack people to death with broadswords?

But, nevermind- I'll leave it to HankC to make you look even more foolish than you've already proven to be, if he wishes to.

This is javal's forum, and if he wants to tolerate your mumbo jumbo here, that is his business, though it doesn't seem to be selling at all. But I can tell you for sure that you'll get no further responses from me.

In the several years that I've been on this forum, I have communicated with over a hundred other members, and never had the need to use the Ignore Member feature before. Quite recently, I thought that another member would be the first subject I would use it on, but now that distinction belongs to you. So, spew on all you want. I won't be reading it.

Last edited on Sat Sep 21st, 2013 06:09 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2013 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
89th Post
Brad Watson, Miami
imitating Lincoln all my life

Mana: 

MildMan wrote:
Word choice is critical to creating discussion versus combat. A lesson for both of us.
Amen. ;)

Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2013 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
90th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

"I did live in the 1850s; all our eternal souls pass through eternity through reincarnation and this has now been proven through the scientific method (including experimentation).

John Brown was the John the Baptist of his day. His actions heralded the return of the Christ.

I also invite everyone here to decide for themselves how someone could still be "defending" the evil actions taken by Texans in the Civil War?"

This is not a religion forum. Keep your religious views off this board. I couldn't care less about your views on the subject, and trust me you wouldn't like mine. To base assertions regarding the Civil War on religion alone will not be allowed here. I'm sick and tired of hearing the dissension it causes. It ends now.

Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2013 11:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
91st Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

Java1,

I don't think that Brad Watson's posts were about religion. Besides, Readers can decide to read or not read his posts.

Sometimes when you draw attention to something, you get more of it.

You may want to comment of the "courtesey and respect" posters displayto each other, startng with this string,

Posted: Sun Sep 22nd, 2013 12:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
92nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Mildman, you weren't involved in my post, but since you wish to jump in, I'll say this - the moderation of this board is not to be mistaken for a debate. There are many banned members that will attest to that. Should you disagree, I suggest you open your own board.

Posted: Sun Sep 22nd, 2013 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
93rd Post
MildMan
Banned

Mana: 

Your post is way out of line, unnecessarily threatening and disrespectful.

If you choose to ban me because you do not like what I say, fine with me.

Posted: Sun Sep 22nd, 2013 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
94th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Mildman has been banned.

Current time is 11:00 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4238 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 29 queries executed.