Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Some of my ACW battlefield pics - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2008 06:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

and while I'm thinking of it, where are some good places to grub in Vicksburg?

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 03:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
TheColoBearer
Bearer of the Colors

Mana: 

Captain Crow wrote: TheColoBearer wrote: The best advice i can give for vicksburg is to go visit the field early in the day for it gets really really really hot and humid there. See if you can find the spot where Pendlton surrendered to Grant. The battlefield is well perserved.
I plan on being up before dawn each day so I can get the outdoor tramping done before noon. I'm fairly acclimated to the heat from riding my bicycle to work 3-4 days a week during our balmy Oklahoma summer-90-100+ almost every day- but after last year's journey to Charleston SC in July I have learned to respect that swampy southern humidity)))(*gasp* so I plan on being in the visitors center and museums during the afternoons. I definitely want to get some sundown pics on fort hill and early morning shots at the Soldiers Rest.

The whole area is awesome to me. The late year event at Raymond is a must attend event. Usually in the 2nd week of November and always a good show to be had.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 01:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

How's the fried okra and/or gumbo out thataway? Can't beat the seedy pods for a tasty complement to an entree of fried or blackened Mr. Whiskers!

ArtorBart

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Okra!catfish!Gumbo! I'm gettin' hungry y'all!

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 12:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Awesome photos, Captain Crow! I can't wait to see the Vickburg/Champion Hill/Big Black River, etc.  photos. I know they will be the same high quality.

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 01:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: Awesome photos, Captain Crow! I can't wait to see the Vickburg/Champion Hill/Big Black River, etc.  photos. I know they will be the same high quality.Thanks! I will endevour to produce something worth looking at. I love to take pictures at these battlefields as a means of remembrance. Who knows what these places will look like in 50 years...plus every time I look at my photos it takes me back to the day/ place  where/when I shot them. Kind of an instant vacation if you will.

Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2008 02:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

While I do not have picture transitions, I have lots of pictures of Vicksburg (and a LOT of other battlefields), on my website: http://www.BattlefieldPortraits.com/.  When you bring up a photo gallery, just click on any picture for a larger view.  Vicksburg is one of my favorite battlefields.

Mike Noirot

Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2008 06:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Captain Crow,

What books have you read on Vicksburg?  I would highly recommend you read Vicksburg, by Michael Ballard.  It is a great study of the entire campaign, with an emphasis on Vicksburg.  I read this book before I went to Vicksburg, last year, and it proved very valuable, as I walked the park.  The nice thing about Vicksburg, is that you can park at the VC, and walk the park, after dark, or before sunrise.  Like yourself, I will often be on the battefield long after dark, or well before the first light of day.

Mike Noirot

Posted: Fri Aug 15th, 2008 12:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

47 days of Siege - Hoeing, Champion Hill - Smith, Triumph and Defeat - Winschel, and I'm just starting Beleaguered City by Shelby Foote.

Posted: Fri Aug 15th, 2008 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Nice photos Mike!I've actually run across your site before while searching for battlefield pics and such. I liked the Fredericksburg pics much better than mine because they appear more in season for the battle than my sweltering July pics. I was surprised that there were no Wilson's creek shots. I'm saving that one as well as Pea ridge for a long weekend when the weather cools down a bit.

Posted: Fri Aug 15th, 2008 12:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

I have a lot of Wilson Creek photos.  They are just waiting for me to put up.  My web site is constantly under development.  I have eight, or ten more new battlefields to put up.

Posted: Fri Aug 15th, 2008 01:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

mikenoirot wrote: I have a lot of Wilson Creek photos.  They are just waiting for me to put up.  My web site is constantly under development.  I have eight, or ten more new battlefields to put up.cool! I look forward to seeing them. There's a big reenactment-well that's what I've been told anyway- at Honey Springs(Indian Territory) this year where I'm hoping to shoot some pics.
http://www.honeysprings.org/content/calendar/index.html

Posted: Fri Aug 15th, 2008 11:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
texasrose

Mana: 

:D Hello Captain! I am new to this forum but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your pics of Fort Sumter. That's one place I have not been yet but look very much forward to seeing someday.

TEXASROSE!

Posted: Sat Aug 16th, 2008 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

texasrose wrote: :D Hello Captain! I am new to this forum but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your pics of Fort Sumter. That's one place I have not been yet but look very much forward to seeing someday.

TEXASROSE!
Thank you very much! I hope you get a chance to go there soon as Charleston SC has much to offer those of us who enjoy American history.

Current time is 03:35 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3337 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 33 queries executed.