Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The "To Read" list - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 09:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

If it's a library book, I tend to give them two or three chapters then give up. I still end up paying overdue fines, though. I seldom give up on a book I've bought: thankfully I can return to them after a long time and know where I've reached.

When I give books to people, I always inscribe a message on the title page. Getting secondhand books that say 'To X, Happy Birthday, from Y 3rd June 1934' or whatever is always a thrill.

Last edited on Thu Jul 24th, 2008 09:59 pm by Kernow-Ox

Posted: Thu Jul 24th, 2008 10:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

when I find a book to be uninteresting I just put it on the night stand and grab another one. I usually have 3-4 books going at one time: one for bedtime, one for recreational reading on the weekend, one or two at work for the down times between cases (I work in the O.R. in a large hospital here in OKC). I find that it helps to mix it up a bit to keep my interest. Funny thing is I usually end up finishing 2-3 on or around the same day.

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 12:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

and now I've gone and done it again! Add these to my previous to read list:
1. Confederate Submarines and Torpedo Vessels 1861-65-Angus
Konstam
2. Hunters of the Night(Confederate torpedo boats in the
war between the states)-R. Thomas Campbell
3. The Beleaguered City-Shelby Foote
4. Triumph and Defeat vol.2-Terrence J. Winschel
5. Vicksburg is the Key-William L. Shea & Terrence J.
Winschel
6. The Saga of the Confederate Ram Arkansas-Tom Z. Parrish
7. The Lost Account of the Battle of Corinth-author unknown

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I still need to read Kenneth Noe's book on Perryville and George Rable's book entitled The Confederate Republic. I'm also anticipating the new Cleburne biography which is coming out at the end of September.

The Confederacy's Last Hurrah is an excellent book. Sword's description of Franklin alone is worth the price; I still think it's the best account of a Civil War battle I've ever read.

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I've long had a soft spot for Cleburne but have yet to read a book dedicated soley to his life. Any out there you would recommend?

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 02:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Captain Crow wrote: I've long had a soft spot for Cleburne but have yet to read a book dedicated soley to his life. Any out there you would recommend?
One I particularly like is Stonewall of the West: Patrick Cleburne and the Civil War by Craig L. Symonds. You can find this paperback book at Amazon.com. There are some good photos in the book.

Last edited on Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 02:34 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 02:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Cap'n,

These are the two biographies that I own:
http://www.amazon.com/Stonewall-West-Patrick-Cleburne-Studies/dp/0700609342/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219459024&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/METEOR-SHINING-BRIGHTLY-Mauriel-Phillips/dp/0865546932/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219459125&sr=1-1

Here is the new book that is being released:
http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Hero-Patrick-R-Cleburne/dp/0881461083/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219459024&sr=8-2

I don't know how anyone couldn't like Cleburne. His actions at Ringgold Gap remind me of Marshal Ney during the retreat from Moscow! The Bravest of the Brave!

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 04:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Well great now I'm going to have to add those to the list as well....I suspect I'll have to come back from the grave as a bookworm ghost to finish off all these books!

Posted: Sat Aug 23rd, 2008 11:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Thanks for the heads up about the new book "Invisible Hero: Patrick Cleburne." I like to read about Cleburne around St Patrick's Day, so this would be a great book to add to my collection.

Posted: Mon Sep 8th, 2008 03:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

http://www.amazon.com/Confederate-Struggle-Command-Longstreet-University/dp/1603440526/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1RMAUX81KCQQE&colid=2RJ69OGXQ1JA0

Posted: Tue Sep 9th, 2008 02:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
ole

Mana: 

Have just acquired "Southern Storm" and am most anxious to get into it. But first I need to learn something about Wilson's Creek. Then I will be free to sort through the stack and pick the next.

ole

Posted: Tue Sep 9th, 2008 01:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

The book I have staring me in the face right beside this computer is The Bloody Crucible of Courage: Fighting Methods and Combat Experience of the Civil War by Brent Nosworthy. It is 730 pages long, but at least the print is a reasonable size. It won't kill my eyes to read it. As much as I enjoyed One Continuous Fight, the print was so danged small and pale that it actually hurt to read more than a few pages at a time.

I have several books, as do many of you, that I intend to read, but a new one comes along and for whatever reason seems more compelling at the moment. One I keep pushing back is This Horrid Pit about the Battle of the Crater, a battle I find perplexing in the incredibly bone-headed way it was conducted by Union forces. For some reason, not a logical one, I enjoy reading about battles and campaigns at the time of year they actually took place so maybe I'll get fired up to read "This Horrid Pit" next summer.

I have just completed the excellent General Lee's Army from Victory to Collapse by Joseph Glatthaar. I highly recommend the book to those interested in the Army of Northern Virginia.

Last edited on Tue Sep 9th, 2008 01:34 pm by CleburneFan

Posted: Tue Sep 9th, 2008 04:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

The Drum Book discussion group is Reading Conquering the Valley by Robert Krick.  I have read and read and for what ever reason I can't remember a thing I read after I put it down for the evening.  I finally stopped reading it for now.  It just wasn't going in and sticking . 

Last night after giving up on the Krick book I picked up one I bought on Trip to Springfield last month.  Stealing Lincoln's Body by Thomas J. Craughwell.  It is more than I thought it was .  It goes into the detail of what happened to Lincoln after his death and last train ride home.  The history of embalming , and now the history of conterfeiting all leading up to the story of the three stooges type attempt to steal the body . 

I was sitting here last night really enjoying a book again .  I am so glad I got this book at the Museum of Funeral Customs in Springfield.  There are several other books I bought in Springfiedl calling my name too. 

Oh and seems I rebought one book.  a second hand copy of A.P. Hill but the good news is I had it in paperback and this is hardback.  My friend in S.C. doesn't have it , likes paperbacks so guess what he is gettting for his birthday in two months. 

Now back to my book.

Susan

Current time is 05:44 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3863 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 27 queries executed.