Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Got Any Suggestions??? - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 01:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i have recently decided to start studying each individual general of the Civil War. for the past month or so i have been studying Stonewall Jackson and NB Forrest. i have moved on from them and have started studying A.P. Hill and Patrick Cleburne. if anyone has any suggestions on books i could read on these men, or knows any good sites that i could get some info from please let me know. next i plan on studying Grant, Sherman, Stuart, Longstreet, Burnside, McClellan, Sheridan and Lee. my whole point of doing this is to try to find out more about the lives of these men as well as their military careers.

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 03:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Ever hear the expression, "biting off more than you can chew"? If you don't mind deviating from the order of your list, start with those books that discuss groups of generals. "Lincoln Finds a General," available in one volume. "Davis and His Generals." "Lee's Lieutenants," Look for an abridgement.

Better still, find a copy of "Generals in Gray" and "Generals in Blue." Or "Who was Who in the Civil War." These smaller looks at all generals will help direct you to where you want to really get started.

ole

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 04:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I love my copies of Generals in Blue and Generals in Gray.  also have More Generals in Gray.  Have Who's who in the Civil War too .  Good sources for information .

So many books on generals.  Only one good one on Cleburne .  Stonewall of the West  by Craig Symond.   

Best bet is to go to Amazon and put in the name of general you are interested in.  Plenty of books will come up .

Susan

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 07:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Wow DG, Jackson and Forrest in a month, that's some studying. As I'm sure you know, studying a life is more than just reading a book, there are so many perspectives to look at and with the list you have prepared I can only wish you luck and say I admire your ambition because you have undertaken one heck of a big project. It's 15 years since I got bitten by the ACW bug and I'm ,maybe, about half way through your list. I know a bit about some , a lot about others but a complete study of these men is, dare I say it, a lifetimes work

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 10:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Wow Dixie Girl that is quite the daunting task.  How did you finish Jackson and NB Forrest in one month? I could spend a year reading about either one of them.

One of my favorite "little" Jackson books was "Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims" by James I Robertson. 

http://www.amazon.com/Stonewall-Jacksons-Book-Maxims-Jackson/dp/1581822960

It is an interesting little read that does not have to be read "straight through".  It lends some insight into that brilliant yet sometimes very wacky mind of his.

Mike

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

well it was a little over a month, but i have a ton of free time sinse im not in school. i get up at 8 and get all my chores done and then i read all day up til midnight when my mom gets in from work and then i stop. i just got a new book so im really excited and this is the first break ive had from reading today.

Posted: Tue Jul 22nd, 2008 04:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Good for you!! Keep reading!!

Posted: Wed Jul 23rd, 2008 12:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Dixie,

Wow, I'm very impressed--and a bit jealous. Wish I had time like that to read, read, read!

Reading biographies of the various generals is a good start, but don't forget to read about the battles they were part of, especially those they had important parts in. A general's actions and own words are just as important an indicator of the man as what others say about him.  For example, if you looked at Grant earlier in his career, you might be tempted to think he sucked as a general ( he did do a lousy job in business!), but you have to look at what he did after 1863, too, to really get a good idea of what kind of general/man he was. Helps you get a more well-rounded picture of the person,especially those you eventually decide are your "favorites!"

Have fun reading!

Pam

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

Dixie girl, I have no reading suggestions that haven't been talked about already. I am writing to save you the trouble someday and propose we get married. Forrest, Jackson and reading obesessed, I'm almost speechless. The only problem is that I'm a Yankee but then again that didn't stop John Pemberton. I also have a little Irish in me (think Cleburne). This is only a suggestion though, you have time to think it over.

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 03:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

well BB i thank you very much for your offer but my heart belongs to a singing buccaneer scallywag who will challenge all who try to take me from him to pistols at 10 paces.

Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 01:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Consider not just restricting yourself to the great generals. Read about some of the controversial ones too, such as Kilpatrick, Sickles, Custer, Wheeler, etc. There is much to be learned from their failures, shortcomings, follies, scandals, controversies and idiosyncrasies.

Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 03:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

There's an interesting supplemental volume to Ezra Warner's "Generals in Gray" aptly titled "More Generals in Gray" by Bruce S. Allardice. Just saw some $11.00 used copies on Amazon. The generals contained therein were those men whose promotion papers were lost but there was sufficient evidence to go ahead with the promotion, promoted after certain deadlines of the Confederate Congress and other such strange vagaries of paperwork, legislation, and skewed standard operating procedures. A surprisingly large number of generals got to that rank in strange ways. Enjoy!

ArtorBart

Last edited on Sat Jul 26th, 2008 03:53 am by ArtorBart

Current time is 10:14 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3288 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.