Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Group for Facebook Users - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 06:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Greetings CWI members,

I have recently joined this site, and look forward to reading your posts.  I am very involved in Civil War battlefield preservation, and am involved with the Civil War Preservation Trust.  I am also an amateur photographer. 

I wanted to let you know about a group I created on Facebook.  It is American Civil War Battlefields and has quite a few posts and pictures.  I created this group because I believe the younger people (less than 30) know very little about this important time in our country's history.  Since many in this age group use Facebook I thought this was a perfect venue for getting information out to them.  I find many of them will research assignments on Facebook, so it definitely reaches the younger audience.  For those of you with profiles, on Facebook, you can easily find American Civil War Battlefields by searching groups.  For those of you that are not on Facebook, but are interested, you can create a profile quickly, and access it.  For those of you that have no interest in social networking websites, such as Facebook, you can check out my website, dedicated to the same principles - raising awareness of the American Civil War.  It can be found at http://www.BattlefieldPortraits.com/.   I would appreciate your comments on these sites.

PS.  Message boards, and list-servers are still my primary source for networking with people with similar interests.  I do not ever see a Facebook group replacing this type of forum. 

Thanks so much for the bandwidth.

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 07:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
izzy

Mana: 

I checked out your website, Battlefield Portraits.  Good job.  Do you take photos for the CWPT?

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 07:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Yes I have taken quite a few.  They also link to my website from http://www.civilwar.org.  Thanks for the comments.

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 07:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

I'm not into the Facebook thing but have just added your website to my favourites. Have looked through some of your Battlefield portraits, impressive stuff. I love the Lookout Mountain pics,the fight for Chattanooga is a favourite study of mine, makes me even more determined to get there one day.

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 08:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Mike,

Do have photos of the Skirmish of Island Mound in Kansas and the Battle of Dug Springs in MO?  I expect to get a fund raising letter from CWPT about those two sites.  CWPT took us to those sites in April to show us what we are going to be buying in the near future.  Pictures of battlefields that need to be preserved would be a welcome addition to your site.

Fedreb,

If you go to Chattanooga, you may as well rent a place for a couple of months.  You will be in the middle of a battlefield rich area: Murfreesboro, Tullahoma, Chick/Chatt, Atlanta campaign!  Oh my!  It will be very hard to extricate yourself!

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 08:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Izzy,
Thats just a dream, we only ever get to the States for a couple of weeks every 18 months or so and the wife has to have her New York fix as well as my battlefield wandering, but you never know, one day............

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 08:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

I have been to Mine Springs, in Kansas.  It is a site they CWPT has already supplied a lot of funding for.  I also recently visited Netwonia & Carthage, MO.  Carthage is fairly well done.  Newtonia needs a lot of help.  I have pictures of all these sites, but my web site work takes a lot of time.  They are on the list of updates I need to get done.

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 08:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Typo...

I meant to say I was recently at Mine Creek battlefield, in Kansas - not Mine Springs.

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 08:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Newtonia does need a lot of work!  I think they got hammered by a tornado this spring. 

Your project sure does take a lot of time.  I appreciate your efforts!

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Did you meet Arnold Schofield at Mine Creek?  Isn't he a trip!  He was our guide for Island Mound.

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 10:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

I have some pictures of the tornado damage at Newtonia.  It is a very small town, and obviously without a lot of resources.  There is a lot of battlefield left, but it is all prime farm land.  Doubt that much will ever come of it.  I will say the Old Confederate Cemetery, while difficult to find, was very cool.  I like taking pictures of soldiers graves, and there was some excellent opportunities there.

Current time is 03:38 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1735 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.