Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Battle of Monterey Pass - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 01:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
alicia

Mana: 

Hello All,

In my research of the Gettysburg area, I stumbled across a website for the Battle of Monterey Pass. The website is an excellent one, providing a ton of information about the battle that was part of the retreat from Gettysburg. The website was created by John Miller, who is the founder of the Monterey Pass Battlefield Association, an organization dedicated to the preservation and education of the battle. According to the website, Mr. Miller has dedicated the last 10 years to researching and preserving this little known battlefield, which reserves the honor of being the only battle fought in 4 counties within 2 states. Mr. Miller has a book available on the website that I just received and it is a very well written and very educational read! All of the proceeds from the book go toward the installation of an interpretational marker to be placed on the battlefield. Anyone who is interested in learning more about the Battle of Monterey Pass and it's preservation efforts should check out the website at http://www.emmitsburg.net/montereypass
It will be well worth your time!

Posted: Thu Aug 21st, 2008 11:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Great looking site I think Ill check the book out thanks'

ken

Posted: Thu Aug 21st, 2008 12:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
alicia

Mana: 

I was very excited when I came across the website as well as the book.  The book truly is a wonderful piece of work, you won't be sorry!

Posted: Sat Jun 11th, 2011 07:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
mickeybrown

Mana: 

alicia wrote: I was very excited when I came across the website as well as the book.  The book truly is a wonderful piece of work, you won't be sorry!

Yeah, read the book. Not that it is outstanding but great read. Thanks

Posted: Sat Jun 11th, 2011 11:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Just last summer on our annual summer week in Gettysburg, I did the "tour" of the battle, with the help of North and South Magazine, which had maps and explanations of the battle. I know Gettysburg pretty well, and am working on the battles associated with it.

The tour was good but I didn't know much about the battle beforehand, so aside from the Fairfield Hotel, I was pretty clueless about what I was looking at. There is little to almost no signage; there was one small park/wayside along the line that had an explanation of the battle, but that was it. You'd never know a battle took place there!

The thing that sticks with me the most is the terrain: as we drove up and over South Mountain and the gap, on windey, wooded roads with nothing but huge drop-offs on one side, I could not imagine travelling them with wagons, in the torrential rain, and fighting by the flash of lightning. Put up against the three-day battle that preceded it in Gettysburg, the battle of Monterey Pass seems like nothing, but in the aftermath, at night, in the rain, over dangerous mountain terrain, and travelling with hospital wagon trains, after being defeated and having to give up and head south, I don't think the 1st Marylanders under Emack thought it was any walk in the park as Kilpatrick's cavalry dogged them every step of the way.

I plan to return to the battle this summer when we head to the 'Burg.

Posted: Mon Jun 13th, 2011 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
alicia

Mana: 

John Miller, who wrote the book on the Battle of Monterey Pass is also offering tours of the area on his website http://www.emmitsburg.net/montereypass 

I have been on one of his tours and they are outstanding.  For me, it really made what was a confusing battle, more clear and easier to understand.  If you do plan on making a trip back to Gettysburg this summer, I would recommend a guided tour of Monterey. 

It is my understanding that he will also be giving a tour of the Monterey Pass Battlefield on June 24th that is open to the public.  The website listed above would have more information. 

Current time is 12:05 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2619 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 26 queries executed.