Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Battles and Campaigns > Battle of Gettysburg > The Battle of Monterey Pass and the Retreat from Gettysburg

The Battle of Monterey Pass and the Retreat from Gettysburg - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 18th, 2008 01:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
alicia

Mana: 

Hello All,

In my research of the Gettysburg area, I stumbled across a website for the Battle of Monterey Pass. The website is an excellent one, providing a ton of information about the battle that was part of the retreat from Gettysburg. The website was created by John Miller, who is the founder of the Monterey Pass Battlefield Association, an organization dedicated to the preservation and education of the battle. According to the website, Mr. Miller has dedicated the last 10 years to researching and preserving this little known battlefield, which reserves the honor of being the only battle fought in 4 counties within 2 states. Mr. Miller has a book available on the website that I just received and it is a very well written and very educational read! All of the proceeds from the book go toward the installation of an interpretational marker to be placed on the battlefield. Anyone who is interested in learning more about the Battle of Monterey Pass or Mr. Miller's book should check out the website at http://www.emmitsburg.net/montereypass
It will be well worth your time!

Posted: Sun Sep 21st, 2008 12:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Good stuff Alicia thanks for sharing..I just finished "One Continious Fight" by Eric Wittenburg and J Petruzzi (Sorry for mispelling any names) and it really perked my interest in this little known about engagement...

ken

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 12:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ethn1956

Mana: 

Get Kent Masterman Brown's "Retreat from Gettysburg" for a thorough account not only of the Battle of Monterey Pass but also of the travails of Lee's other wagon train that went from Gettysburg to Williamsport by way of Greend wood and Greencastle. Great read.

I have corresponded with Miller and it is a good source for various locations in the Monterey area.

I grew up in Waynesboro and have a special interest in this engagement.

Posted: Thu May 14th, 2009 12:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ethn1956

Mana: 

The wagon train that went through Monterey pass was reportedly 35 miles long and then followed by all of Lee's infantry.

The other wagon train was managed by General Imboden and contained mostly wounded. It was over 17 miles long.

The heavy rains after the battle made travel on both routes almost impossible

Current time is 03:26 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Battles and Campaigns > Battle of Gettysburg > The Battle of Monterey Pass and the Retreat from Gettysburg

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1846 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.