Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Good Books on confederate Diplomacy? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 26th, 2008 02:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

I recently received an interesting email from TOCWOC reader Alexandra.  Her friend from the Netherlands is looking for some good books on Confederate diplomacy.  She writes:

Hello, a friend in the Netherlands has asked me to find him a book to read on his vacation.  This is what he said he wants:

"Hello Alexandra,

I have been looking for information/a book about the American Confederation (The South) during the American Civil War.  You can't find any American history books here in the bookshops. I would like to know more about how the rest of the world dealed with that "new" state.  For instance which countries recognized that new state, who were their trading partners etc.
Mabey you can find something about this subject. I ussume these kind of books are only in English. I go on holiday the last week of September.

I've withheld the name of Alexandra's friend for privacy reasons, but his question is a good one.  Confederate diplomacy is not a subject I've spent much time on.  If you've read some books on Confederate foreign relations, Alexandra and I would be very interested in your answer!

Posted: Tue Aug 26th, 2008 02:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

nobody recognized the CSA officially. although England did sell them some arms and by the back door; some warships.

Posted: Tue Aug 26th, 2008 02:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

http://www.amazon.com/King-Cotton-Diplomacy-Relations-Confederate/dp/081735526X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219719185&sr=1-1

Posted: Tue Aug 26th, 2008 04:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

Captain Crow wrote: nobody recognized the CSA officially. although England did sell them some arms and by the back door; some warships.
Captain Crow,

Understood, but that's not what I'm asking.  Despite never being recognized officially, the Confederates did indeed send commissioners to foreign nations for that purpose.  I'm looking for books which discuss this aspect of the Confederate government.

Posted: Tue Aug 26th, 2008 04:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

The Iron Duke,

Thanks! Noted.

Posted: Wed Aug 27th, 2008 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Your Welcome.

Posted: Sat Aug 30th, 2008 06:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

bschulte wrote: Captain Crow wrote: nobody recognized the CSA officially. although England did sell them some arms and by the back door; some warships.
Captain Crow,

Understood, but that's not what I'm asking.  Despite never being recognized officially, the Confederates did indeed send commissioners to foreign nations for that purpose.  I'm looking for books which discuss this aspect of the Confederate government.
I see, pardon me for misunderstanding your question....maybe I should actually read the entire post more carefully before I respond eh?;) The duke's suggested reading looks like it fills the bill exactly.

Current time is 04:12 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1567 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 28 queries executed.