Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Chamberlain Resources Online - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Aug 27th, 2008 12:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Hey guys,

I'm about to write a manuscript for my college's history journal. I'd like it to be on Chamberlain's actions at Gettysburg. However, I'm coming up a little short on the online resources. I'd use print, but alas, I left all my books on the Civil War with the exception of Coddington's "The Gettysburg Campaign" at home. If you could point me to any online resources relevant to my research, I'd be very grateful. Thankis in advance.

Lawrence

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Aug 27th, 2008 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Ed,
That's a great idea. I wasn't sure what angle to analyze the LRT, but the idea that it's surrounded in myth is a nice topic to research. Thank you very much.
Lawrence

Posted: Thu Aug 28th, 2008 11:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Wrap10

Mana: 

Hi Lawrence,

Adding to Ed's suggestion, there are a couple of magazine articles you might also find helpful, if you can locate copies. They're both a few years old by now. The first is an article titled "What Really Happened on Little Round Top," by Jeffrey Denman, in the August 2005 issue of Civil War Times. The other article is from North & South magazine, and is titled "Joshua L. Chamberlain and the Road to Immortality," by Glenn W. LaFantasie . It's in Volume 8, Number 4. I think LaFantasie's article was based on a book he was working on at the same time, but I have not read the book.

I used these two articles a few years ago as the basis for an online article I wrote about Chamberlain at Gettysburg, back when I was running the Civil War topic on Suite101.com. They're very good, and speak to the difference between the myth and the reality of what took place on Little Round Top, and how Chamberlain's version of what took place came to be the largely accepted version. But not without some controversy.

Here's a link to the main site for Civil War Times, and North & South -

http://www.historynet.com/magazines/civil_war_times/page/2

http://www.northandsouthmagazine.com/index.php

I'm not sure if these issues are available for back-order, but they might be, and you could contact the magazines to find out. You might also be able to obtain copies through a local library, through inter-library loan, if they don't have copies on hand.

Best of luck in your research. It is a very interesting subject you've chosen.

Perry

Current time is 12:25 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3499 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 27 queries executed.