Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

1861 Kentucky - The Battle of Shiloh - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 03:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
izzy

Mana: 

Did the Confederate government consider an invasion to take over the government of KY in 1861?  Did Governor Magoffin ever invite (officially or unofficially) Confederate troops into KY after the (pro Union) state legislative elections in early August 1861?

I am only running into references of piecemeal Confederate moves into KY:  Polk occupies Columbus to block the Federals from supposedly moving into western KY and down the Mississippi River; and, Zollicoffer, at Cumberland Gap, is ordered into southeastern KY in response to Grant's move to Paducah KY.

A.S. Johnston takes over Department Number Two on September 10th.  Does anyone know if Johnston discussed a stategic plan to take control of KY with anyone in the Confederate government before he travelled west?

Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 03:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
izzy

Mana: 

Sorry, I got this in the wrong forum.   I don't know how to move it.

Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 03:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I don't know of any plan for taking over Kentucky. Neither side wanted to be the one to break the neutrality of the state but that changed when Polk and Pillow took over Columbus.

Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 03:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I don't know of any plan either, which is why I ask.  Did A.S. Johnston, Polk, Buckner, Zollicoffer, or anyone else ever put forth a strategic plan regarding the 1861 state of KY other than the defensive line that A.S. Johnston cobbled together?

Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 04:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Not that I can recall off the top of my head. Connelly's book Army of the Heartland would be probably be the source to consult for that.

Last edited on Fri Aug 29th, 2008 04:14 pm by The Iron Duke

Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 06:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Thanks for the tip on Army of the Heartland.  I've just read the first three chapters.  What a mess.  TN Governor Harris' focus on the defense of the Mississippi to the detriment of his northern border and the Unionist sentiment in East TN created real problems later.  Then throw in Polk/Pillow.  Add in the overblown idea that as soon as A.S. Johnston arrived, all would be straightened out. Then top it off with ASJ's inexperience.

It looks like the only one that had a good idea of what to do about KY was Buckner.  Too bad he was not in charge.

Still, Connelly's book does not say much about what the Confederate govt thought about the situation.  Were they dominated by Harris' Mississippi River defense and invasion of Trans Mississippi theories?  Or did they not know what to think and just threw the whole problem into Johnstons court?

Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 07:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

They seem to have preferred the defense of the Mississippi River. Don't forget that Mississippi is Davis's home state.

"Add in the overblown idea that as soon as A.S. Johnston arrived, all would be straightened out. Then top it off with ASJ's inexperience."

Is there an echo?

Last edited on Fri Aug 29th, 2008 07:08 pm by The Iron Duke

Current time is 11:49 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1638 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 25 queries executed.