Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

On a Sherman's March Kick - William T. Sherman - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 11:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Okay, my latest area of interest is a large area, physically--Sherman's March to the Sea. Was at Borders today and looked at Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea by Trudeau. It looked interesting but it's only in hardcover at the moment. Has anyone read it yet (I think it's only been out for a month or so)? Amazon has it for less than Borders, but I want to make sure it's worth the buy--my book budget is a little thin at the moment!

Also, any other ideas of books/links for me to check out? It could be the march itself, or any specific battle along the way, or the people involved (though, thanks to a lot of you folks about a month ago, I got tons of  information about Judson Kilpatrick). I'd appreciate any ideas you throw my way!

Thanks in advance!:)

Pam

Posted: Sat Aug 30th, 2008 12:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I really don't know what information Trudeau could present that isn't already known. There wasn't much fighting during the march. This is one of the books I own:

http://www.amazon.com/Shermans-March-Full-Length-Narrative-Devastating/dp/0394757637/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220055315&sr=8-4

Posted: Sat Aug 30th, 2008 12:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

PamC, I bought Trudeau's book used at Amazon.com. It came in perfect condition and I paid far less than the new price. That is how I buy most of my Civil War books, used at Amazon.

Also, I have another suggestion. Instead of concentrating on Sherman's March, check out the Atlanta Campaign. That follows Sherman vs Johnston then John Bell Hood as they fight their way from Northern Georgia down to Atlanta. There are several very interesting battles such as Kennesaw Mountain. For myself, I find this phase of Sherman's presence in Georgia more compelling. It is also instructive how Johnston struggled as he fell backward toward Atlanta.

Two excellent books about this campaign are:

Atlanta 1864: Last Chance for the Confederacy by Richard M. McMurry, Paperback

Decision in the West: The Atlanta Campaign of 1864 by Albert Castell, Paperback

You really do not need to read both of these books unless you are really super interested in the Atlanta Campaign. I bought both books at Amazon used.

I came back to add one of the most interesting battles of Sherman's post-Atlanta March is the battle of Griswoldville, the battle I call the "old men and boys" battle. You can find descriptions of this battle on the Internet. Just do a Google search. I don't know if any book has been written about it.

Last edited on Sat Aug 30th, 2008 01:03 am by CleburneFan

Current time is 04:07 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2878 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.