Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > If You Would Like Kids to Know One Thing about the CW (Question from Pam C.)

If You Would Like Kids to Know One Thing about the CW (Question from Pam C.) - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 06:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
ole

Mana: 

That's scary, David. I just opened the thread to post something very similar.=+-

To expand on it just a touch: Take lessons from the passions generated before the war. They're not that dissimilar from today. Situations change; people don't.

ole

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 09:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Pam

Teach your students that the Civil War was the pivotal event in American history.  An Knowledge of what happened before, during and after the war are critical for understanding where we are today.

Posted: Tue Sep 9th, 2008 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Bighouse

Mana: 

It's bad enough that re-enactors are prohibited from bringing weapons to classroom demos, but in the last year, at an reenactment to which school groups were invited, a Principal contacted our event coordinator to express concern that we displayed weapons in the camp and at sutler's tents. He was told that obviously no sutler would sell a gun or knife to a student and it was thier responsibility to make sure no one returned to school with anything they shouldn't have.
As to weapons displayed in the camp, he actually requested that we not have them out during the school tours. We of course denied his request.
At another school presentation, a re-enactor demonstrated to students what a typical soldier carried in a haversack. He displayed a piece of salt pork, and one of the students threatened to touch a Muslim student with it, which led to a call requesting we no longer make pork products part of the demonstrations.
And of course, let's not get started on the whole flag issue.
My question is, when does all this stop? How far are we going to water down our country's history because someone may be "offended" ?

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 05:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
TimK

Mana: 

The history of this battle flag could make for an interesting lesson. How an honorable piece of history as been transformed over the years to an icon for hate groups. I'm guessing most Americans only see the latter rather than the former.

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 02:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Bighouse

Mana: 

It amazes me the number of people who are upset over the sight of the battle flag. It is an example to me of how we teach "selective history" in our schools. I've always wanted to write a book on what I call the "black pages" in the history of our country.
The battle flag is seen by some as a symbol of racism and subjugation, but to the native americans, could not our own stars and stripes have been viewed in the same manner? For many years it was only seen by them at the head of a column of trops charging through their village and killing everything in sight.
I'm by no means placing the battle flag on the same level as our country's flag. But I do beleive people are far too sensitive about this issue, when we face so many other problems.

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 05:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Agreed, Bighouse. Unfortunately, we can't regulate the sensitivity of others. The sensitive vote, added to those who just don't care, is a voting bloc that must be heard.

ole

Posted: Wed Sep 17th, 2008 03:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

SS when you are looking into the history make sure you look into both the history of the Stars and Bars which was the first Confederate national flag but also look into the history of the battle flag.  They are two very different flags.  The flag that seems to offend people today is not the Stars and Bars which the average person on the street has no idea what it looks like.  The one that stirs the blood of so many is the battle flag made into a rectangle.  The one with the Cross of St. Andrews designed by PTG Beaureguard and William Cabell and made by The Cary sisters and their cousin Hettie Jenny and Connie often called the Cary Invincibles .  The orginal was a square . 

This flag was designed to use in battle so it could be reconized as different than the US flag .  The Stars and Bars and the US flag looked too much alike in the haze of battle

The battle flag or rather the Confederate Naval Jack is what was used by the Kan in the 20th century and now is seen by many as a flag of hate.  Sad to say considering the men that died fighting under that flag in the war. 

Many people called the battle flag the Stars and Bars but it isn't .

Susan

Posted: Wed Sep 17th, 2008 04:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Bighouse

Mana: 

I'm glad you pointed that out. During re-enactments we fly both the battle flag and whichever version of the Confederate National flag is appropriate for the part of the war we are portraying that weekend. 1st National, etc.
I've made that point in some the history talks we've done. Most people beleive that the Battle flag and the Confederate National are one and the same.

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 01:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Actually Son I didn't have to look it up.  I am a docent at a Civil War Museum here in Southern California and explain the flags every so often.  Also a daughter of Union Vets and A Daughter of Confederate Vets.   It drives me crazy when people called the battleflag the Stars and Bars.

Susan

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 02:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Pam,

I'm going to turn the tables on you. I hope this doesn't put you uncomfortably on the spot, but being a teacher and the moderator of your schools Civil War club, what would you consider are the most important points that you make to your students. This is not a challenge - I'm just curious as to what students in PA are thinking. I'm getting a pretty clear picture what at least some students south of the Mason-Dixon are thinking.

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 02:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
ole

Mana: 

I'm getting a pretty clear picture what at least some students south of the Mason-Dixon are thinking.
This is starting to get some meat on it. Lay on MacDuff!

ole

Current time is 10:21 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > If You Would Like Kids to Know One Thing about the CW (Question from Pam C.)

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4477 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 35 queries executed.