Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

"If Practical"-- General Lee and Initiative - Robert E. Lee - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 4th, 2008 07:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
ole

Mana: 

"If practicable" was, if not expressed, understood. If the Army commander is standing behind your left shoulder and says, "I want that hill," there is no discretion allowed -- he knows the situation.

If, however, he is a mile or so away and says, "I want that hill," you may assume that he's expressing a tactical desire and that he might well be unaware that there's four batteries and three brigades up there. If he really, really wants that hill, he'd say, "Take that hill at all hazards."

Obviously, Lee wanted Cemetery Hill and perhaps Culp's Hill, but not so desperately as to order Ewell to effuse excessive blood.

Lee gave Ewell the discretion -- kinda gentlemanly, wouldn't you say? I doubt that Ewell could have taken the hill when the "wish" was issued. So then we have to figure how badly Lee wanted the hill(s). Perhaps he hadn't yet assayed its (thier) importance?

Just a thought.

ole

Posted: Thu Sep 4th, 2008 09:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Another great book to read is Scott Bowden and Bill Ward's book "Last Chance for victory" which analyzes the if practable debate in depth...I highly recommend it. I have to get ready for work so I can't articulate their thesis but rest asured it is impressive and thought provoking to say the least...
ken

Posted: Thu Sep 4th, 2008 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ashbel

Mana: 

I have read the Bowden and Ward book several times.  I would highly recommend it.

Their thesis is that Lee gave the order to Ewell to attack Cemetary Hill on the first day of Gettysburg with the ending "if practicable" as a matter of courtesy.  The staff officers who transmitted the message, Ewell's subordinate officers and Ewell's troops understood that they were to attack the Hill and said so in their after action reports.  Only Ewell interpreted the orders to mean "if I could do so to advantage" as he stated in his report.  Even on its face Ewell's argument is weak in that he did not know if he could take the Hill "if he could do so to advantage" unless he tried.  The fact is he didn't try until it was too late.

Posted: Thu Sep 4th, 2008 04:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
David White

Mana: 

Ole:

Nice analysis, I buy that more than the Bowden/Ward theory that it was an unequivocal order.

Current time is 05:40 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3021 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.