Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Genreal sherman hero cold blooded killer - William T. Sherman - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 8th, 2008 11:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
61st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

44th VA Inf,

Unless you are taking a break to read up on those questions asked of you, don't quit now.

The folks on this board have read and discussed long and hard about the war we all are fascinated with, and are still, though it might not look like it to you at the moment, very interested in expanding their knowledge. I have to give you much credit for jumping in on some really intricate topics that I myself probably would enjoy reading more than entering. Great to learn from, but a little cut throat for my taste. Kudos to you.

However, just know that when you jump into the waters here, make sure you have plenty of facts (make that real facts, not opinions) and quotes to back you up. That's part of the deal here. Notice how many people quote from books or websites? They have a degree of ease with this because they've done it for years, but you have to start doing it to get good at it. This isn't Wikipedia or a personal blog, so people are going to expect you to back things up. But you already seem to have a rudimentary knowledge and a passion for the subject, so you've got a good start.

Good luck, 44th, and I look forward to your posts!

Pam

Posted: Tue Sep 9th, 2008 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
62nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Another year or two and 44th is going to discover that girls don't smell all that bad. I'm giving it about 15 years before we hear from him with any hope of his being a regular. Meanwhile, we get to try to point him where he ought to be looking.

ole

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 10:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
63rd Post
44th VA INF

Mana: 

We can always argue who was worse when it comes to unconventional warfare it was needed to crush the souths hope which was always never competely wrong

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 10:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
64th Post
44th VA INF

Mana: 

thanx for the coment i havent put anymore post up because ive been busy and out of town

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 11:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
65th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

To be brutally honest any who say Sherman's March was unconventional warfare for the time, for the timr prior or for the time since has read precious little history.

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 11:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
66th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan I was pondering that statement and how to reply when you posted the thought I was having .  Thanks you put it better than I could .

Susan

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 02:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
67th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: To be brutally honest any who say Sherman's March was unconventional warfare for the time, for the timr prior or for the time since has read precious little history.
Yes, especially ancient history...even medieval history...even Napoleonic history. Sherman often considered Napoleon when he decided to have his own army live off the land and cut his supply lines.

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 02:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
68th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

to sum this up for ya 44, in the south Sherman was (and still is) considered a cold blooded killer. for us he was basically looked upon as Satan and him and his soldiers were releasing hell on earth. though in the north he was (and probably still is) considered a hero. the yanks thought he was doing the right thing and was putting us in our place so we would be held under their thumb for forever never to secede again. he probably though burn em down and that will show em who's right but he wasnt. all it did was make us struggle to survive and i will never in my life look upon Sherman as anything more than a killer.

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 03:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
69th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Interesting summary but needs more reading

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 03:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
70th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl, do you have documented evidence that Sherman's forces killed civilians? As a military general in a war, he would be expected to kill enemy combatants. How many civilians who were not engaged in espionage, partisan, criminal or militia activities did he kill?

Granted, he made life hard for the civilians from whom his troops plundered food, livestock and even personal items. But were any civilians outright murdered in cold blood by Sherman's army?

Last edited on Tue Sep 16th, 2008 03:16 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 05:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
71st Post
ole

Mana: 

I had just spent about a half-hour in crafting my most eloquent response to Fan's and Girl's posts and the page expired under my nose. Too late to start it again.

However, Dixie Girl, you're of about an age where you must start distinguishing between what you've been told and what you've learned -- on your own. Don't trust anyone over 25; find out for yourself.

ole

Last edited on Tue Sep 16th, 2008 05:28 am by ole

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 10:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
72nd Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

I know that I am late weighing in on this but I must say that to me Sherman is and will always be a national hero. 

He ended the war by breaking the souths "will to fight".  For every civilian that was inconveinienced there were many more soldiers that would have died had the war carried on.

The march will never be popular in the south no matter how much time goes by.  However Sherman said it himself:

'War is hell"

Mike

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 01:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
74th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Southern Son -

I'm going to very nicely tell you to moderate your rhetoric - now. It is not up to you to tell other members to stop discussion. And frankly, if you ever tell others older and wiser than you that they don't know what they're talking about, you're going to be banned.

I'm all for the enthusiasm of youth, but this isn't a place to shout out and start flame wars.

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 02:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
75th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Southern Son, might I ask what is a Loyal Southerner? Where do the 250,000 odd southerners who fought for the US stand when the total under arms for the CS was in the neighborhood of 750,000? One thing I learned after I began reading on the Civil War was just how wrong I was in the belief that it was North vs South. Before I began actually studying I firmly believed the lines were clearly drawn at the Mason Dixon. Then I learned about North Alabama, West Virginia, East Tennesse, North Georgia etc. Every single CS state had large areas that were very pro US. I was suprised and when I discovered that these were areas where slavery was at a minimum I was further suprised. I began to ask questions and started to read further.

I think the term "Real" or "Loyal" Southerner is not an accurate nomicker. More accurate might be "Real" or "Loyal" Confederate.

Last edited on Tue Sep 16th, 2008 02:47 pm by Johan Steele

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
76th Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Well put Johan. Well put...

Mike

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 05:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
78th Post
ole

Mana: 

You got that right buddy. Hey in fact in the Civil War times issue of Apr-May-2008(i think), a guy was readin about sherman and the guy next to him said sherman deserved all the angry comments from us LOYAL Southerners.

In fact, why don't y'all just stop while yer ahead because y'all don't know what you is talkin about. Y'all is Yankees and from the territories. And leave Dixie G alone.

Southern Son:

If, instead of using the "quick reply" feature, you hit the "reply" button, you will have access to emoticons that will tell us if you are kidding or not.

ole

Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 06:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
79th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Sherman moves into unsuppliable territory as he crosses the fall line from the western theater to the eastern. The rivers run the wrong way and the railroads are virtually nonexistent for the purposes of Union supply.

The only way to supply any Union army in these parts is off the land.

Please recall that the 4 largest cities in Confederate areas after 1862 are the the armies of Northern Virginia, the Potomac, Tennessee and the Tennessee. Their supply needs dwarf all local populations.

HankC

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Current time is 04:36 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4699 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 30 queries executed.