Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Franklin's Charge - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 03:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

http://www.franklinscharge.com/index.html

Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 11:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
izzy

Mana: 

Thanks for posting that.  Looks interesting. 

Posted: Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 02:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I just love the idea of the Tennessee Civil War Sesquicentennial license plate. It is very well designed. It is quite late, but I wonder if there would be any way to get the state of Florida to have a similar commemorative plate. We have so many special plates in Florida, I doubt the legislature or DMV would consider yet another one. STill it would be a wonderful thought.

Some people may think Florida had little to do with the Civil War, but Floridians fought in the Army of Northern Virginia and fought at Gettysburg among other notable battles. Florida also shipped much food to the Army of Tennessee because other Southern states, especially occupied ones could not raise enough food for the army and civilians both.  

Posted: Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 04:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Is Tennessee the only state with a plate like that?

Posted: Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 11:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I don't know. It certainly seems as if Pennsylvania, Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia should have such plates at the very least. Actually every state that saw any battles or skirmishes in the war should have such a plate, but I wonder if TN is the only one so far. I'm really glad folks in that state were on the ball. I wonder who got the ball rolling and what they had to do to get the plate accepted by the Powers That Be in TN.

Posted: Thu Sep 4th, 2008 04:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

http://battleoffranklin.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/from-mystery-to-history-the-story-of-gen-patrick-r-cleburne%E2%80%99s-once-lost-pistol/

Posted: Thu Sep 4th, 2008 01:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Iron Duke, thank you for that link. What a fascinating thing to see Cleburne's actual pistol and kepi! The kepi, by the way, is far nicer than I would have imagined. I can't describe the feeling of seeing Cleburne's name imprinted on the pistol.

I have printed out the entire story to put in my favorite book about Cleburne. It will be a valuable addition to the book. I wish I could go see this display. Are these items still at Carnton or have they gone elsewhere? My printed version did not show the pistol and kepi in such sharp detail as luck would have it.

By the way what an excellent web site that is! I have marked it as a favorite place.

Maybe I could persuade Hubby to go on a fall tour of the Nashville area, a place we enjoyed so much when we lived there and like fools never once looked into the incredible history. Oh well, it was a very different time of our lives. Now I really want to return with "new eyes" and visit Franklin, Carnton, Carter House, and then Stone's River in Murfreesboro...maybe even venture over to SHiloh. Hubby is just not as interested in history as I am, but he does love Nashville in the fall and spring. 

Posted: Fri Sep 5th, 2008 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
EricJacobson

Mana: 

Cleburne's kepi and pistol were on display at Carnton for just the one week in June.  I, along with Joanna Stephens, worked for nearly 8 months to get the two items together at the same time.  It was indeed a treat as we believe it the first time the two had been together since Cleburne's death.  Wait till you see what we have planned for the 150th anniversary!!!!

Eric A. Jacobson

Posted: Fri Sep 5th, 2008 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
EricJacobson

Mana: 

Please consider donating to Franklin's Charge.  We just purchased a single acre across Columbia Pike from the Carter House for $900,000.  Big price, but that ground saw several Congressional Medals won and thousands of men engaged in some of the most brutal fighting of the war.  Franklin's Charge also spearheaded the movement to buy the 110 acres near Carnton for $5 million to prevent it from being developed.  Over that ground Gen. W. W. Loring's Division advanced toward the Federal left flank on November 30, 1864.

Eric A. Jacobson

Posted: Fri Sep 5th, 2008 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Good work!

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Sep 6th, 2008 09:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Great news thanks for sharing. By the Way Eric - great book "For Cause and Country" I enjoyed it very much..

ken

Posted: Mon Sep 8th, 2008 01:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
EricJacobson

Mana: 

Thanks for the nice comment about my book!!

Posted: Mon Sep 22nd, 2008 04:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Don't know when I'll get back to Franklin, but enjoyed the hospitality there in 2000. The 1-acre property referred to -- was that near the Lotz House museum? Got to stick my nose inside there back then. Found the McGavock cemetery a very calming place, even tho kids were screaming as they jumped off the diving board at the country club right next door. Was that part of the golf club that's closing down? Hope so! Will enjoy seeing how the Eastern Flank gets interpreted.
ArtorBart in Tampa, FL

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 05:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

Franklin and the State seem to have awakened. The primary battlefield itself is covered with light industrial. The focus, The Carter House, is marvelously maintained and I hear that part of the Carter Garden has been purchased.

Standing on the Winstead Hill markers, you look over a sea of pre-fab steel buildings, but if your imagination works, you can see fields and scattered farm buildings en route to Carter's Gin and where the Union works were.

The former Pizza Hut is approximately where Cleburne fell. (Haven't seen many agree on the exact spot.) And the former golf course/country club, with Carnton, are the grounds across which Hood's right flank traversed.

Ft. Granger itself is preserved nicely and, standing there, you can clearly see Winstead Hill (again over the sea of metal-roofed buildings) and much of the ground over which all of Hood's forces advance.

If you're looking for pristine battlefields, Franklin isn't it; but the City has made a good start, and it is easy enough to visualize movements.

ole

Posted: Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 08:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

JDC  on the spot where Cleburne fell is now a monument.  There is a split rail fence around the area .  In the middle is the stack of cannon balls.   Much nicer than the Pizza Hut.  Now the Dominos pizza is across the street and as Tom Cartwright said to us last year . It should never have been built. 

I had a very emotional moment at the site where Cleburne died last year.  Glad to see he is finally honored there. 

Posted: Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 08:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n574JQb-PWE

Posted: Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Awesome video, Iron Duke. I marked it as a favorite. The speaker talks so fast, I will have to listen to him a few times to catch all of what he said. I love the way he is so emotional. He makes the battle come alive.

Last edited on Wed Sep 24th, 2008 12:16 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 12:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

That is Thomas Cartwright. He recently resigned as director of the Carter House at Franklin.

Current time is 04:04 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4086 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.