Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Franklin's Charge - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 04:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
EricJacobson

Mana: 

The 1-acre site is just south of the Lotz House, which is opening to the public once again on Oct. 30, 2008.  It is a drastically undertold story, especially considering the fighting on that side of Columbia Pike is every bit as severe as what occurs in the Carter yard area.  Franklin's Charge intends to rebuild both the section of Federal earthworths which ran thru this 1-acre site and the Carter cotton gin.  Our goal is to have everything complete by the time of the 150th anniversary.

Thank goodness the Country Club adjacent to the Confederate Cemetery at Carnton has been closed for three years.  No more screaming kids or people playing tennis and golf.  The City of Franklin has just begun work on the old Country Club to convert it into a Battlefield Park.  They are working on rebuilding the historic creekbeds thru the property and will soon begin work on the restoring the 110-acres to its 1864 appearence.

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 04:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
EricJacobson

Mana: 

The site of the former Pizza Hut is tremendous.  However, it is not simply commemorative of Cleburne's death, but also the sacrifices made by his men and the Federal soldiers who helped to stem the Confederate attack.  The interpretive sign erected there on Nov. 30, 2006 tells the story of both sides.

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 07:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

For you Cleburne fans, there's to be a ceremony in October 2008 to unveil a new PRC bronze statue by Ron Tunison in Ringgold Georgia. Don't have a specific date yet, but am waiting for an announcement from somebody at the historic train depot there. As soon as I hear, I'll post it here.

Should be some autumn colors in the trees by the time of the ceremony.

Artor"Be There Or Be _______"Bart

Last edited on Wed Sep 24th, 2008 07:25 pm by ArtorBart

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 07:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I think our roundtable has toured every single little town between Kennesaw and Tunnel Hill.  I don't think we ever got to Ringgold.  I will put it on the list of things to do for our group.  Is the Cleburne statue being put at the railroad depot or elsewhere in town?

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 11:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Eric thanks for the correction to what I posted. I stopped there on the way back to the hotel after the day with you and Tom touring other sights and must have missed the sign, I was stopping to view the Cleburne mememorial and didn't see anything else. I will remember now what you said when I show people my pictures of the site.
You and Tom were such amazing guides last year for the Muster tour. Thanks again
Susan Sweet

Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 11:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Wow, if my passion and my knowledge were even a quarter of this man's, I'd be blessed. Terrific video, Duke!

Pam

Posted: Thu Sep 25th, 2008 12:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Glad you guys have enjoyed the video!

Posted: Thu Sep 25th, 2008 12:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Scout

Mana: 

i think the cleburne statue is going to be placed in the actual gap (in the ridge) on county owned land. it will not be far from where he actually observed the movements of Hooker's troops against the defensive position he laid out.

izzy, let me know when your group may be going. i've moved to knoxville now and have been thinking about visiting ringgold. I even drove through it after my last chickamauga visit...

per the cleburne memorial in Franklin. there is a separate memorial, made of stone that veterans placed after the battle. it was later used as part of the foundation of the Holt structure (which is the house that sits on the acre most recently purchased). I'm sure Eric can help me clarify, but I had heard that this memorial is intended to be rebuilt using those same stones on the newly acquired property.

Last edited on Thu Sep 25th, 2008 12:13 am by Scout

Posted: Thu Sep 25th, 2008 12:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Scout - Keep an eye on our roundtable newsletter for our group activities at http://www.wnccwrt.org .  I'll put it in my notes to send you a private message when we put Ringgold on the schedule.  It will probably be next year sometime.

Also check out the Knoxville Roundtable.  The Longstreet Society is having a conference the weekend of October 10-12.  The local expert from the Knoxville roundtable will be leading a tour of Knoxville on one of those days.  

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Sep 25th, 2008 01:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
EricJacobson

Mana: 

Just so everyone is clear, there is no Cleburne memorial in Franklin now.  The stack of cannonballs on the site of the old Pizza Ht is simply commemorative of the Battle of Franklin.  I actually served on the Task Force that, for the most part, decided what the site was going to look like.  We opted to make it neutral with the hope that as more property is purchased other opportunities to be more specific would arise.  And so......

Back to the 1-acre site where currently the former Holt house stands.  It is true that when George Matthews built that house in the early 20th century he dismantled the cenotaph which had been erected to Cleburne (the ONLY battle monument ever erected in the 19th century) and used the stones to construct a portion of the house foundation.  We fully intend to rebuild the cenotaph, whether with what we can determine are some of the original stones or otherwise.

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Sep 27th, 2008 07:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
ole

Mana: 

I suspect, JDC, that some are convinced that they know exactly where Cleburne fell and that that's where the monument will be placed .... eventually. The problem is that not everyone will agree. (So your speech needs only to be modified to the extent that the spot was very near the Pizza Hut -- leaving clear your message that development vs. preservation remains with us.)

On the other hand, if Eric says that the centaph was the exact spot, I'm inclined to agree. If he says it wasn't, I'm inclined to agree. (Thank goodness for experts!)

ole

Posted: Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 03:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Well, I never heard from the folks at the Ringgold Railroad Depot, from whom I got the basic info back in the spring. Don't know if any ceremony was held or not, or even if the statue was completed, transported, the base built, etc. Was supposed to have been last weekend, Sat. 18th.

There's a little roadside park a bit south of the Ringgold Depot where, I believe, the statue will be sited...eventually.

Sorry if I sent anybody on a wild goose chase.

ArtorBart

Current time is 07:29 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4342 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 28 queries executed.