Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Battle of FT stedman - Other Eastern Theater - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 06:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
44th VA INF

Mana: 

The Battle of t Stedman was Lee last ove to breake through the union lines and and deshrtoy the Union supply line at City point this battles was a very complicated battle that could have ended in confedrate victorie john goron smashed throught the union  line with 12,000 if the breakthrough could have been widened letting the ANV possibly slip through deshtroy city point and possibly turn the war around i know many of you will say the Anv didnt have the resuores but Lee had a habbit of poforming miracles in bad positions

Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 11:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

I don't think th ANV would have been able to follow it up and even had it been successful Grantwould have responded promptly and in an overwhelming fashion...just my .02$

ken

Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 12:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
BerryF

Mana: 

44th Va,

noticed your address was Suffolk Va,I was born and grew up in Suffolk,gradualated Suffolk High 1960...small world...there was a brestwork for A Union gun emplacement behind my Parents house ar 618 Butler Ave.Was pushed down in 50's when Pruden house was built.I live in Raleigh.

Berry Fitzhugh

Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 02:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
5fish

Mana: 

I use to think it was a daring plan but over time I come to think of it as Foolhardy plan at best. Lee went to Gordon an explained the predicament of the AoNV was facing and went over the options. They chose the attacking option trying to cause a break through and Lee had Gordon plan the whole operation.

I say it was Foolhardy because is was pure desperation not even based on the slimmest of opportunity. In most of Lee's daring moves there was always an opportunity to take advantage of but the was no such opportunity in this attack. I believe it showed Grant that the AoNV was now toothless after the whole FT. Stedman affair was over and within 20 days the war was over.

Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Wrap10

Mana: 

From what I remember of Fort Stedman, the goal was to force Grant to contract his lines so that Lee's army could hopefully escape Petersburg, and break into the open country once more. I don't think they were trying, or were capable of, destroying City Point. I'm not sure if that's a reference to Grant's headquarters or not, but I don't see how it was going to happen.

In my personal opinion the outcome of the war had been decided when Lincoln won reelection. Whatever faint hope the Confederacy still had left by the fall of 1864 vanished at the ballot box. From that point on, it was just a matter of when it would end and how many more would be killed or crippled. That may be a little more obvious in retrospect than it was at the time, but I think a lot of folks were starting to see the proverbial writing on the wall.

But assuming for the sake of argument that Lee does somehow escape Petersburg at this time...what is he going to do? I think the goal was to hopefully join forces with Johnston's army then in North Carolina, and somehow or another defeat first Sherman and then Grant. Not to be rude, but I think that idea had about as much chance as did Chattanooga of beating Oklahoma in football the other day. That game was 50-0 by halftime, and it wasn't as close as that score suggests. Even assuming Lee and Johnston join forces, and attack Sherman before Grant can arrive, all Sherman really has to do is hunker down somewhere, if he's so inclined, and wait for Grant. Plus, I think Sherman all by himself is a numerical match for Johnston and Lee, or close to it, although I'd have to double-check that.

But they have to literally destroy Sherman's army, and do so before Grant's even larger and more powerful army arrives to help. Look at the speed with which Grant, Ord, and Sheridan ran down Lee during the Appomattox Campaign. Does Lee honestly have a realistic chance of escaping these attack dogs a couple of weeks sooner, and make it all the way to North Carolina before they catch him? And even if he does, he then has to defeat not one, but two of the Union's most powerful armies, under their two most successful commanders. One of whom has never lost a campaign, and has a reputation of grabbing his opponents by the throat and twisting. Hard.

Lee's other option would have been to disband his army into a guerrilla force. To his everlasting credit, he refused this very option shortly before surrendering at Appomattox. I don't see him doing differently anywhere else. He waited until he was finally cornered to run up the white flag, but once he did, that was it, and he knew it.

I'm afraid the Confederacy by this point in the war was out of options, and out of chances. Their economy and infrastructure had largely been wrecked, their major cities were captured, what existed of their production capacity was destroyed, their links to the outside world had been severed, their landscape had been blasted apart, their armies were mere shells of their former selves, and their citizens were worn out. It was over, even if not everyone, such as Jefferson Davis, was willing to see it.

Lee was an excellent commander and Johnston wasn't bad, but by the spring of 1865, there is simply no way they are going to turn the war around, together or separately. Lee's gamble at Fort Stedman was truly a forlorn hope. That's the way I see it myself.

Perry

Current time is 03:14 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2343 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.