Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War News/ Press Releases > 1st Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry Monument Dedication

1st Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry Monument Dedication - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 9th, 2008 07:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
butlermochamber

Mana: 

After 9 years of planning, a life size bronze sculpture of a 1st Kansas Colored Volunteer soldier will be unveiled and dedicated on the Butler, Missouri Courthouse square.  Many events are planned for the weekend culminating in the unveiling at 3 PM Sunday afternoon.  Bates County Missouri was the sight of the 1st battle that African Americans engaged in actual combat.  They "fought like tigers" and proved their ability and dedication to fight against white soldiers.  Come honor these soldiers with us.   Pat Decker, Executive Director of the Butler Chamber of Commerce.

Posted: Wed Sep 10th, 2008 12:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

On behalf of the Col. Louis R. Francine, Camp #7, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, I congratulate you and all who were helpful in the raising of this monument! Well done, Butler! Well done!
CD
Sr. VC, Camp #7, NJ

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 03:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

This monument resides at the Cabin creek Battlefield near Pensacola OK

Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 06:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
butlermochamber

Mana: 

The Battle of Island Mound was fought in October 29th, 1862.

Posted: Wed Sep 17th, 2008 12:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I'm sure you're correct. I believe the marker pictured above is making two separate statements:

1. that the 1st Kansas colored was the first to engage in battle, as a bit of background. And also....

2. on July second they fought in the first battle of Cabin
creek.

I just thought this added something of further interest to the subject. I did not realize the wording on the marker might be interpreted as an attempt to question the accuracy of your initial post. I apologize if it appeared that way and assure you it was not my intention. I am sure you know much more about this particular unit's history than I do...considering that until I saw this marker a few months ago I knew nothing LOL!
Now I'm interested in knowing more...oh great now I gotta buy more books!

Current time is 02:11 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War News/ Press Releases > 1st Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry Monument Dedication

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3147 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.