Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Locks Of Love - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Sep 20th, 2008 03:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

any one ever heard of the charity Locks Of Love? it makes wigs for children with cancer and other diseases. a guy that my mom works with got me started doing this. he grows out his hair and then gets it cut and sends it in and waits to do it all over again. i started doing this at the beginning of the year, my hair was long enough i could sit on it and it was a hassel trying to keep it clean and keep up with trims and stuff so i cut it all off and it ended up with the sides being up to my jawline and the back about a half an inch longer. it has grew back out but its not quite long enough to sit on and im fixin to cut it off and send it in again. they will accept hair from any age, race, and gender. here is a link to their site,

http://www.locksoflove.org/

here is another link with the where you can print out the donation form and it also has a donation form for Wigs For Kids and i think also a link to the Wigs For Kids site.

http://www.charityguide.org/volunteer/fifteen/locks-of-love.htm

guys hair doesn't have to be as long as females hair, just ask your local hair salon or barber shop how long exactly and they should know. this is a very worthy cause cause they donate them to family's who cant afford to go buy a wig for their children, and if they do have to pay its only a small amount.

Posted: Sat Sep 20th, 2008 03:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Good for you, DG. It's a very worthwhile thing to do.

My wife has made three donations of her unusual strawberry blonde hair over the past decade.

Posted: Sat Sep 20th, 2008 03:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

strawberry blond is a very pretty color. mine is almost black

Last edited on Sat Sep 20th, 2008 01:03 pm by Dixie Girl

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Sep 20th, 2008 05:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

Agreed! It is a very fine thing to do. Hat's off, Dixie Girl.

ole

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Oct 1st, 2008 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Locks of Love is a very cool thing. I have several friends who regularly donate. I can't suffer having my hair long enough to do it though, so I'm just a cheerleader for those who do!

Pam

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

My sister, who had mid-length hair, was going to donate her hair just before she started her chemo-therepy sessions for breast cancer because she knew she would lose her hair anyway. But as luck would have it, the lymph node surgery she had just had got infected, so she had to take care of that infection. Then it was time to start chemo. Much to her surprise she lost most of her hair and her eyebrows after the first chemo session!:(

I worry so much about her. She now has only two more chemo sessions, "rests" a month, then starts radiation. She has been so courageous. I am a notorious coward and I don't see how I could go through what she has been through. I salute all women who have ever dealt with  breast cancer. Well, truth to tell, any cancer is such a terribly difficult challenge. 

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 03:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan I am 14 years out from surgery and radiation and 10 from finishing tomoxifin . I have clear tests ever since. I will tell you it is amazing where you find your inner strength to go on .

I had tickets to go to the Shakespeare Festival in Oregon in August of that year purchased before I discovered the lump. I told everyone do what you like I am going to be in Oregon in my seat August 13 that year. I was , burned, cut and poisoned as they say. A friend drove me everywhere as I could only walk short distances after the treatments. I had the last treatment the day before I left.

I was teaching then too. I only missed a couple of days of school after the 20 days I missed from surgery. My kids were amazing . One little girl appointed herself to be hair checker. She would walk around me every morning and tell me where the bald spots were. I never totally lost my hair although I was told it would happen after the first chemo. I lost eyebrows eye lashes and other body hair but not on my head so much. Doctor said it happens sometimes.

Give your sister a huge hug for me and wish her well
Susan

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 06:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

God bless you all.
I lost my father in January after a 5 year struggle. He fought to the end and was much stronger than I can ever imagine being myself!
But I want to send my thanks to all those who donate their time and give to all the wonderful causes that help those who are suffering so much and my thoughts and prayers and love to those who are helping them to keep going.
Devils Den

Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 11:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Devil's Den, I am so sorry about your father. What a difficult five years!

Susan Sweet, thank you for your encouragement. I will tell my sister about your experience. She will love your "burned, cut and poisoned" phrase. I'm going to write to her about that and I know she will get a kick out of it. That would make a cool charm bracelet with a chram for each word and the little pink ribboin charm.

You are much braver than I am being as I am a self-confessed coward and would have been the first to slink to the rear in any Civil War battle. I wish you continued health.

Today I signed up for an Avon-sponsored national health initiative for breast cancer research called an "Army of Women" headed by Dr. Susan Love. You register and then they will contact you about various sutudies they are conducting. I was hoping they would select me for the "Sister Study."

Any woman who wants to register can go to http://www.armyofwomen.org.

Sorry, guys, they are not asking for men although men can and sometimes do get breast cancer.

Well, we have gotten away from the Locks of Love subject.  They give to people besides cancer patients too. There are other causes of hair loss including a disease that causes the loss of ALL body hair! :shock:I know someone who got it in Thailand.

Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

nah, if anyone has a story bout someone who has either survived cancer or died form it feel free top share it.

my mema got breast cancer in the 80's and had radiation treatment but it still spread to her female organs. she had all of her female organs removed and just the cancer in her breast removed. it came back in 93 and then she just had her entire breast removed. it has been 15 years that she has been cancer free but the radiation really messed her up. it burned her lungs and it is now hard for her to breathe.

Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl, I am so sorry about your Mom's trial by fire. You have to be very careful and get regular mamograms as soon as the doctors will allow you. Send your mom my best wishes.

Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 02:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Cleburn, it was my grandma(mema as i call her) not my mom but i will send her your best wishes. she is only my grandma by marriage so im hoping that might reduce my risks but we have had several scares in my family, my aunts have found several lumps that have turned out to be nothing but it does keep me trying to do anything i can to stay healthy and take care of myself. i try really hard to eat right and exercise and take all the vitamins i can but i know that just by doing all that it isnt gonna prevent cancer but it may keep me from getting other problems that my family has year down the road.

Current time is 09:48 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3741 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 30 queries executed.