Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Lees corps commanders at Gettysburg - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
Poll
Which Corps commander served Lee best at Gettysburg

View Results

Vote 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 9th, 2008 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Have to agree with those of you who think Gettysburg portrays Longstreet in a sympathetic light. And I think portraying his "slows" was part of that.  After seeing the film umpteen dozen times, I still think the slant is that Longstreet had a better idea to go around the right to Washington rather than fight there on Day Two, and throughout the movie he shows his frustration, telling Hood, when Hood talks about "all they have to do is roll rocks down on us," that he's "argued" with Lee about it and it's no use. And then when, after Pickett's Charge, he jumps on his horse to get ready for the Yankees counterattack. Probably all stuff of movies, true, but Shaara did make Longstreet seem a character to feel empathy for.

And Ewell WAS in the movie, just not the version you can buy in the stores. About ten years ago, there was a 6-hour version (versus the 4-hour one) that came out with a special collector's edition. That's the one we use to show the 9th graders at my school. However, Ewell's part is limited even then, and he's pretty much  reduced to a sort of bumbling fool, especially in the face of the fiery Trimble. So I can see why they cut his part. Sort of fits with historical reality, huh?

Pam

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Oct 10th, 2008 03:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

I've got an extended collector's edition that runs 271 minutes, almost 5 hours, but it's on laserdisc. I'm not certain if there's a VHS version, but I know only the theatrical version has made it onto DVD. Some of the extra scenes are nice and it's a shame they didn't make it into the theatrical release.

Posted: Fri Oct 10th, 2008 09:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Sam Elliot's Buford I thoought was very good - that whole monologue about "the high ground" great stuff... I liked the way Longstreet was portrayed but couldn't they spring for a better beard ...

As for the extended version, I guess thats why rodes and EWwell make it into the credits of the film in spite of the fact that they are never seen in the theatrical release...
Ken

Last edited on Fri Oct 10th, 2008 10:01 am by gettysburgerrn

Posted: Fri Oct 10th, 2008 04:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

JDC Duncan: Aye, laserdisc. I did some eBay scouring a few years ago. Machine and discs still work fine. I think it's entirely possible to transfer it to a computer, but I don't have the equipment for it.

Posted: Fri Oct 10th, 2008 05:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

JDC Duncan,

You CAN get the Collector's Edition of "Gettysburg" as a box set, I have it on VHS-am not sure about on DVD.  I found mine on ebay after pricing it in Gettysburg on a trip.  It was around 49.99 in Gettysburgh and I got my set for 12.00 on ebay. 

The set came with a video on the making of "Gettysburg", a book of Gettysburg art,  pictures of Longstreet, Chamberlain, Buford and Lee, the CD sountrack to the movie and a .50 caliber bullet.  Not too bad for 12 dollars.

Check ebay under "Gettysburg Box Set" that was the seach I found mine under.

Devils Den

Posted: Fri Oct 10th, 2008 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Well, had I known there was a VHS of the collector's edition I would have saved some time and money a few years back. :)

Duncan: Yeah, they're as big as LP's and thicker. I think they also similarly came in 10 and 12 inch sizes.

Current time is 07:52 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3827 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 34 queries executed.