Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Declaration of Independence - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 02:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure many will), but doesn't this all boil down to whether you believe the founding documents are static or dynamic?

Were they a complete house, ready to move in and live the rest of your life? Or was it just the frame of a house that could be built as needed for future demands?

I happen to believe the latter. Others are "strict constructionists" who believe the former. Really just a matter of perception.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 04:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Well Bama, take the example earlier - "All men are created equal". It was pointed out that at the time it was written, blacks weren't considered "men". I assume you believe that they are today. So therefore, evidentally, future laws (or beliefs) served to "evolve" the meaning of the DoI.

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 05:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

JDC Duncan-

The Vice President is the president of the Senate and can preside over it on a daily basis if he chooses to. (Though only casting a vote in case of a tie vote).

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Biden gaffe: VP is always President of the Senate

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 05:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

I'm sorry that I posted. I should have known better.

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 01:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

"...future laws (or beliefs) served to "evolve" the meaning of the DoI."

That's what I wrote. That's what I meant.

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 07:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Forgive me, Ed. I respect your opinions about the two documents, but mine differ a bit.

I feel that the DoI especially is not static document, nor was it written to be that way. A document that is historical is a document that has revelence, across the ages and phases of time and society. That's what makes the document so important, BECAUSE it can be applied across time. True, I agree that WE have changed since it was written, but I can hardly believe that the creators and writer of the DoI, forward thinkers all, would think that their new country wouldn't change--it is that change that made George III irrelevent to them.

I also agree that we as a nation have gotten far afield from some of the "anchor statements" in the DoI. Other historical documents, from the Magna Carta through works of Shakespeare and beyond, are either viewed through that generation's eyes and made relevent, or become obsolete. It's true that many differing perspectives of a document like the DoI create just as many passionate opinions, which is what I believe a document like that SHOULD do. The basis ideas contained in them should be not challenged but seriously considered, over and over, as support for what our country believes at its foundations. I think those last three statements can be applied to both sides of the Civil War.

I sound like a social studies teacher!

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just trying to maybe clarify it for myself.

Pam

Posted: Thu Oct 9th, 2008 02:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
HankC

Mana: 

IMHO, the Declaration of Independence was Jefferson's legal brief defending the American Revolution to the world. The Constitution is the attempt to put the themes of the Declaration into law.

Or, as I once heard, the Declaration is the music and the Constitution is the lyrics.

Regarding 'laws' concerning taxes, et al, remember that there are laws and then there are the regulations implementing those laws. The one is written by the legislative branch (Congress) and the other by the executive branch (the President)...

HankC

Posted: Thu Oct 9th, 2008 03:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
ole

Mana: 

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just trying to maybe clarify it for myself.

Highly admirable! When it comes down to what those guys had on their minds, I get lost. I like to believe that they were prescient enough to know that they couldn't know what tomorrow would bring. But there were things they knew. They knew that it was and still is human nature -- somebody is going to try to grab power.

So later, when these guys or those very much like them turned their attention to an agreement of how they chose to be collectively cooperative,

Ever stop to think about what we would be like today without those Washingtons and Jeffersons and  Madisons and Adamses? And those dozens of others whose names we can't recollect? That there wasn't a Josef or an Adolph or a Karl among them?

Current time is 10:27 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4460 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 38 queries executed.