Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Favorite Civil War Subject to Talk About

Favorite Civil War Subject to Talk About - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 11:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

My major interest has always been the run-up to the war and the arguments about the right to secede, although following Johan's lead I am reading more and more about the common soldier.

Posted: Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 06:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I enjoy reading about the different characters from the war; their personalities, accomplishments, and leadership styles. Beyond that, the Army of Tennessee is my next favorite subject to discuss.

Last edited on Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 06:11 pm by The Iron Duke

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 12:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Iron Duke... the more I read about the AoT... both of them the more impressed I get w/ those men what they accomplished and what they went through. THey were men of the kind I enjoy studying and learning about.

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I didn't think this was a simple question when Pam posted it, and I still don't. After some considerable thought, I think it is the personal stories. As mentioned in a different thread, I think photography has a lot to do with it. One can see a photo, look into the subjects eyes, and see their soul. I can't stop staring at some photos and wonder about the subjects fate.

But then again, the fascinating circumstances that surrounded battles like Fredericksburg and Shiloh have also captured my imagination.

Well, there you go. I simply cannot narrow it down to a favorite topic or two. I'll stop, continue to read this thread, and keep thinking - "yeah, me too".

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Tim I have spent so much time staring at those pictures wondering the same thing.  I always look at them and wonder did you survive ?  What was your life like after the war .   Of course the picture that really gets to me is the young soldier whose picture we see often that was killed by a cannon ball to the head.   He is so young and innocent looking staring out from his photograph.  I am at a lost right now to remember his name or company.  He was featured on the cover of Civil War Times last year with an update on where he is buried.   His eyes were featured in the picture.    Civil War Preservation trust recently also used his picture in there mailer .

Susan

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 03:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Mr. Steele,

To quote Sherman at the Battle of Atlanta, "Let them fight it out!" That to me shows the kind of confidence the Federal generals had in the Army of the Tennessee.  And hindsight makes Lee's belief that they wouldn't be able to handle the Mississippi climate around Vicksburg to be ludicrous. 

If the Army of Tennessee's combat record is viewed from a purely tactical standpoint, there's only really two major battles, Missionary Ridge and Nashville, where the army did poorly. I think they performed much better than traditional history has given them credit for.

Last edited on Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 03:23 am by The Iron Duke

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 11:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Gettysburg or Chickamauga..or anything involving those long forgotten about US Regulars....

ken

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 12:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
EricJacobson

Mana: 

Spring Hill and Franklin, Tennessee

John Bell Hood

Atlanta

How the War was won and lost in the Western Theater

(That last one ought to get somebody fired up).

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 04:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
David White

Mana: 

Whoops forgot what the topic was, never mind.

But I support Eric on where the war was lost, of course some of you already knew that.

Last edited on Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 04:14 pm by David White

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 02:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Currently it's the ACW in Indian Territory that gets me going. But truthfully the individual stories such as Dixon's gold coin, the angel of Marye's heights, letters home from soldiers, stories that have been passed down from my great Grandfathers, and of course the strategy of the great campaigns...really it all just keeps me hungry to learn more.
I believe that the American civil war for better or worse shaped this nation and changed the course of history for each and every one of us. I also believe it is impossible to understand the present without a working knowledge of the past.

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 02:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Captain Crow-

We are all accidents of history. If the Civil War had not taken place or had ended differently, it would have not been the same nation afterwards. In all probability, my predecessors would not have come here, and i would not now exist.

Last edited on Fri Oct 24th, 2008 02:27 am by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 02:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Captain Crow-

Sometimes it seems that even a substantial knowledge of the past is no indicator of any great understanding of the present.

A few years ago, I found a lengthy history test online the subject of which was the 20th Century. The test was divided into ten sections, each covering a decade of the century. Since I witnessed most of the century, I thought I would test my knowledge of it.

When I looked at the answers, I discovered that I scored 100% on the first six sections, representing 1900-1960. I missed one question on the 1960s, one on the 1970s, and I believe two on the 1980s. What amazed me was that I missed the most questions on the decade of the 1990s. That indicated to me that I knew more about what was going on in 1905 than what was going on in 1995. I must not have been paying attention.  :?

Last edited on Fri Oct 24th, 2008 02:38 am by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 06:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Richard Kirkland's grave is in Camden S.C.  When I was there there were two real canteens hanging on the side of the headstone.  I burst into tears when I saw it.

Susan

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 11:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Texas Defender wrote:
Captain Crow-

We are all accidents of history. If the Civil War had not taken place or had ended differently, it would have not been the same nation afterwards. In all probability, my predecessors would not have come here, and i would not now exist.

TD,

Something tells me that you still would have shown up in some form or another, except that now we'd be calling you 'Italy Defender' or some such and discussing lasagna on the European cuisine board. ;)

Go Phillies.

Last edited on Fri Oct 24th, 2008 11:19 am by PvtClewell

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 11:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Pvt Clewell-

"Italy Defender?" I don't think so. If my predecessors had wanted to defend their places of origin, they wouldn't have come here. Hell, I wouldn't even want to defend my place of origin. My chosen place, however, is entirely another matter. ;)

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 12:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: Richard Kirkland's grave is in Camden S.C.  When I was there there were two real canteens hanging on the side of the headstone.  I burst into tears when I saw it.

Susan

A local SCV chapter does that every year, IIRC they then auction off the two from the year prior.  They've been doing that for quite a while.  It's that kind of thing that organizations like the SCV & SUVCW are supposed to be about.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Oct 26th, 2008 05:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Honoring the fallen; respecting and keeping the memory of those who have fallen alive. Maintaining and repairing monumentds and gravestones etc. Both the SCV & SUVCW do a splendid job of it. When they get into political manueverings they aren't doing what they need to be doing.

Back in 95 or 96 I bought one of those canteens that had been hanging on Richard Kirklands grave. The proceeds were to be used for monumnet restoration and maint. I think I paid about $150 for it at a benefit auction and it was money well spent. I then gifted the canteen to an individual in Charleston who had helped get me into reading the diaries and letters of the men. I spent many an hour in Charleston and Columbia reading letters, period newspaper articles and diaries.

I've been the Vice Commander and was just elected the camp commander of my Sons camp. I'm also working on getting a monument set at Allatona Georgia for the Minnesota men who fought there. Our camp educates on the life and times of those men of 61-65 through Living Histories, monuments & graves restoration and repair.

Bama; that's what they are supposed to be about. Keeping their memory and their history alive and not forgotten.

Current time is 06:05 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Favorite Civil War Subject to Talk About

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4429 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 37 queries executed.