Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg Remembrance Day - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 21st, 2008 11:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Hello Good People!

Every year the Sons of Union Veterans along with the Sons of Confederate Veterans hold a parade of their respective camps and re-enactors in conjunction with celebrating the anniversary of Gettysburg Address. There'll be a great many memorial services held by different re-enactment units at their unit monuments. The town literally crawls with uniformed Civil War "soldiers."
Is anyone going to participate or just be there this year?

Posted: Tue Oct 21st, 2008 11:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I will be there, to spectate, not participate. My family and I have been attending the Remembrance Day parade for years, before my son was born. Now six, my son LOVES the music and the horses; he's been able to tell the difference between Union and Confederates since he was three. We usually pick a spot near the start of the parade, closer to the "square" in Gettysburg, and then after the parade has passed, we head for the battlefield instead of the huge crowd on Cemetery Ridge. I think the memorial dedications the individual units have at their monuments are more touching than braving the huge crowds. We always go to the 153rd PA monument on Barlow's Knoll, because of my ancestor who fought in that unit. Last year, when I explained to my son that the flowers and red, white and blue ribbon at the base of the monument were put there in honor of the men who fought there, he asked, "Can we bring flowers next year, too?" That pretty much made my day!

If you haven't been there, it is an experience. If you don't like the tourists, stand on a side street for the parade and spend more time on the battlefield. And if you want some real fun, head to O'Rourke's for a little imbibing and music!

As an aside, the Confederates in the parade are way more "colorful" than the Union; that chant of "Virginia! Virginia! Virginia!" gets me every time!

Pam

Posted: Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 12:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Oh man, this makes me really wish I wasn't in college... Sure, I'm only 30 or so miles from Gburg, but I don't have a car, and I go home the Tuesday after Rememberance Day weekend for Thanksgiving break. I guess I'll read Coddington, watch Gettysburg, and wear one of my numerous Civil War t-shirts. Heck, I might even wear my forage cap around campus. I do it just about every day now anyway; what's another day going to hurt? How much you guys want to bet it rains this year? It just seems like whenever there's a big event in the Burg it rains lol.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 02:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

O'Rourke's gets little crowded for me. Besides, I always bring young and impressionable folks with me. To Gettysburg, that is. :-)
I'll be near the front of the parade. I'll be with the "boring" Yankees (LOL).
Truthfully, I dress and act a certain way because of my belief in what the parade stands for. I try not to be overtly critical of the many units that march in the parade because w/o them, there wouldn't much of a parade, if any at all. Let's just say (and leave it at that) that all my leathers are blacked, brass shined, gloves bleached white, uniform brushed clean and a certain decorum followed. As a brother in the SUV, this is the way I prefer to approach the parade.

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 08:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Marie

Mana: 

I was hoping to attend this year for the first time, but Nov. 22 is my father's 75th birthdayso there is just no way I can leave NW Ohio this year as there will be a milestone party thrown.   Maybe next year.

Regards,

Jana

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 01:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

I was at Remembrance Day this year! Marched in the parade near the front. The last I heard, the gentleman who suffered a heart attack near the end of the parade was stable. I haven't heard anything since Saturday.
I went to the new VC. It's okay. I probably will not pay to go again. I can see where it would be SUPER crowded during peak visiting hours. The movie was acceptable. The Cyclorama, which I truly wanted to see, was disappointing in that, one only gets to see it for the length of the audio program. After that, they really hustle you out!
I liked the old way better. You go up, listen to the audio program then, the park ranger gives a few of the interesting points. After that, you get to walk around and see the entire painting.
Now you're in then out...lickety split! And shame on you if you're not 6'6" or taller! You're not allowed to move around (others' view will be blocked) and you can't see most of the painting except where you are standing!
I spent most of my $$$ on Steinwehr Ave. More than likely, I'll spend all my time on the battlefield and in town. The new VC will not see much, if anymore, of my money.
That said, my family and I still had an EXCELLENT time!

Posted: Thu Nov 27th, 2008 03:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
TimK

Mana: 

A friend of mine sent these pictures. I enjoyed looking at them and asked if I could share. Obviously, he said okay.

There are three photos of the Remembrance Illumination of the cemetery here:

http://www.nycivilwar.us/remcem/index.html

And there are 80 photos of the Remembrance Day parade here:

http://www.nycivilwar.us/rempar/index.html

If anybody is interested, his entire sight is full of great information and photos - some historic, some modern. I've spent a lot of time looking and learning here.

http://www.nycivilwar.us/

He's a good guy, and I can tell he has put a lot of heart into this.

Tim

Posted: Thu Nov 27th, 2008 07:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Excellent photos Tim. Thanks for the link.

Posted: Fri Nov 28th, 2008 12:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Tim,
Those illumination photos are beautiful!!! Your friend knows a good shot when they see one!

Posted: Fri Nov 28th, 2008 01:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Tim, tell your friend great shots!

We used to stand at about where your friend was for the pics of the parade, but then we discovered someplace far less crowded: at the corner of Middle Street across from the Episcopal Church. It's literally at the first real turn the parade makes, and I can always get a curbside spot (I'm kind of short, so that's important!).

Pam

Posted: Sun Nov 30th, 2008 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

I heard recently the gentleman who had the heart attack is in stable condition.

Posted: Sun Nov 30th, 2008 03:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

I read in a newspaper article from one of the local papers that he is doing well, and underwent triple bypass surgery. Drs. also said that the quick attention he received most certainly saved his life.

Incident happened right near where I was watching the parade.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Sun Nov 30th, 2008 08:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Now that is Christmas come early for some family!

Posted: Tue Feb 1st, 2011 03:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
DarrenJoy

Mana: 

It good to read news that a few years old and then remember all the times that have gone by. It's one thing reading them in papers but a totally another thing hearing it from people who have had same experiences as you.

You may find lots of eat stop eat lovers with whom trust this particular fat burning furnace is a great one. You can test the diet solution and also the tinnitus miracle product. I just performed another link building services known as seo link monster. Partner seen the item after satellite direct from home.

Last edited on Sat Jan 7th, 2012 06:24 pm by DarrenJoy

Posted: Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 06:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Pardon my ignorance, but why on the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address? Why not on July 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? I'm just curious to learn why Gettysburg Rememberance day celebrates the anniversary of the Address and just looking for a little insight, that's all. Don't mean to be rude and I appologize if I'm sounding that way.

Posted: Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 07:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Hellcat that wqs my thought at first. Now that I have attended a couple of rememberance days I understand it is a rememberance of the establishment of the cemeter, and a rememberance of the sacrifices of north and south.  And quite frankly having done one anniversary the town is to crowded to do justice to this event.  IMHO the rememberance is more reverent and the anniversary is more like a fourth of july picnick. That may be why I attend more rememberance parades.  

Posted: Wed Mar 2nd, 2011 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Thanks J Harold. That clears a lot up so now I can understand it a little better even if I've not attended. Sometimes just need to be able to put things into perspective to have a little understanding of them. And obviously I was thinking Gettysburg Rememberance Day was a day to remember the battle. Being able to understand it's about remembering the establishment of the national cemetery there puts the day more into perspective for me.

You have chosen to ignore karinaga. click Here to view this post

Current time is 07:21 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2002 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.