Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Antietam Battlefield photos - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 25th, 2008 04:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Greetings Fellow Civil War Buffs,

It has been a couple weeks since I have posted, or have had time to keep up with the new postings here.  I have been traveling a great deal, for work, and have been working on updating my web site [http://www.BattlefieldPortraits.com/].  For those of you, that are interested, I have added quite a few (79) photos from the Antietam National Battlefield.  This is one of my favorite battlefields - one which I always see something new, everytime I visit it.

These photos, from my last visit to Antietam, in September, were taken late in the day - and I had the battlefield to myself.  While there are some nice pictures of the Corn Field, and Bloody Lane, I concentrated on monuments, which I have a new fascination for.  It is my plan, to one day start a daily blog, that will focus on the histories of brigades, and regiments - perhaps even companies.  The purpose will be to discuss, and share, the more personal histories of the soldiers themselves.  While many web sites, and books, focus on the larger battles, and campaigns, it seems we sometimes forget that these huge armies were made up of brigades, regiments, companies and squads - and most importantly individual soldiers, with fears, ambitions and hopes of someday returning to their families.  This is what my future blog would focus on.  What do you think?  Would a blog like this be interesting to you?

Thanks,
Michael Noirot
http://www.BattlefieldPortraits.com/

Posted: Mon Oct 27th, 2008 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Excellent photos Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Posted: Mon Oct 27th, 2008 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Don

Mana: 

Mike,

It would be very interesting, but you'll probably have to focus it a bit on a particular unit or formation. A regiment might be too narrow, an entire army too big. Having said that, a lot of mine the last few months has focused on one regiment. Even to me, the guy immersed in the research, it feels a bit narrow at times. A blog within a corps framework examining the soldier's story would be a new approach. Especially if further focused on a specific battle/ campaign.

The individual stories are the most interesting pieces, it's really a question of how you frame them and choose which stories to tell.

The 48th PA Infantry has a good blog focusing on a regiment, and Brian Downey's fnatstic Antietam on the Web project is certainly worth a visit if you're interested in the battle.

Cheers,
Don
http://crossedsabers.blogspot.com/

Posted: Mon Oct 27th, 2008 09:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Don

Mana: 

And no, I have no idea what fnatstic means! 8^)

Current time is 05:48 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1503 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.