Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Stonewall's Arm - Thomas Stonewall Jackson - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

In the News section today there is an article about the "grave" of Stonewall Jackson's arm, at Ellwood, which at the time of the Battle of Chancellorsville--where Jackson received the wound that, along with pneumonia, ultimately ended his life--was in the Lacy family, relatives to Jackson's chaplain.

First of all, the article mostly talks about how if you can you should really visit Ellwood and the gravesite. I totally agree. I was lucky enough, back in 1999 before the NPS began allowing people to tour the place, to know to ask a guide at the Chancellorsville Visitors Center about the place and could I get one of their "special passes" to go see it. At the time, it was like a big secret, and you couldn't drive back the long lane--you had to park off the road and hike back about a half mile. It was so worth it, though. It was truly one of the few times that I felt like I'd stepped back in history. There was no one there, or within shouting distance, but my husband and I, and we had the place to ourselves for a couple hours. The nearest reminder of the present was a tractor in a field a coupe miles off. The last time I was there, a couple years ago, it was a bit more crowded, and there was a lot of work going on inside the house, restoring it. But the article said about 3,000 people visit a year, and I believe it. So if you ever get the chance, go! Even if you have to walk in, its absolutely worth it.

In the article, there was what I think is some misinformation. It says that the Rev. Lacy, Jackson's chaplain, rescued his amputated arm from a pile of arms and legs at the field hospital where Jackson was taken, because he "recognized the uniform." Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Dr. Hunter Mcguire, his doctor, have had to take off Jackson's shirt and uniform to do the operation, or at least cut the sleeves of both off first? And didn't amputees often simply pin/sew the empty sleeve/leg up, rather than cut the clothing off? I don't doubt Lacy would have wanted to "save" Jackson's arm, but I doubt he would have recognized it by the uniform.

I have always had a fascination about Jackson, and have read as much as I can about him. His brillance, his blind faith in God and the Southern armies, and even his quirks make him a fascinating person to study. Why is it that many of the Southern generals make more fascinating topics of study (in my honest opinion, that is)?

Pam

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 12:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i am so jealous. i wanna go find all these battle fields and grave sites and stuff but no one in my family has a interest in history so i can never get to any of it. Jackson is my favorite general so im very interested in seeing any site where he fought or taught and where he lived and is buried.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 02:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Dixie,

I thought Forrest was your favorite general?

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 02:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

its half and half for me. i like em equal, both have traits that i admire

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 05:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Back to the orginal discussion. Pam I missed Ellwood when I was in the area. I am sorry I missed it . That area has so much to see and I had so little time . Traffic was bad so I even missed the sign that said Stonewall's arm is buried here . I saw it on the way back. I did get to the site where he died. I was the only one there , it was closed . No one there . I tried to peek in the windows. I do enjoy reading about Southern Generals as they are a colorful lot of men.
Susan

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 07:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

I took the detour to see the site of Stonewall's arm when I was in the area a few weeks ago. An fun diversion, especially as I didn't go to the Shrine. Not much more to add, other than the fact that the landscape around it is rather beautiful.

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 02:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

Enjoyed my visit there as well.

Pam, my understanding is that Stonewall's arm wasn't just tossed out on a pile of limbs either.

Current time is 05:00 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1620 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 27 queries executed.