Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

good riddance - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 08:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
izzy

Mana: 

I just pulled the plug on my cable TV package.  I'm tired of paying $80 for a whole lot of nothing.  I can get all the info I need on the web now.  I'll suffer withdrawal for about 3 minutes, if that long.  I think I will rid myself of AT&T while I'm at it.  I don't need both a cell and land line.  Here's to more money in my pocket! +_  I think I'll go buy some more CW books.  :cool:

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 09:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Haven't had cable since 96 when lightning blew up my TV. I can't say as I've missed a thing and judging from what is on the toob when I'm in hotels it was a worthy decision.

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 09:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
izzy

Mana: 

No wonder you read so much!  Frankly, I prefer to read.  It engages the brain more than staring at the boob tube.

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 10:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I'm human - I have vices, and one of them is college football. I like ESPN and my wife likes the Food Network. Everything else is pretty much wasted, but I benefit greatly from both of those.

Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 11:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I have to agree that if you love sports, you have got to have your TV! (And a beer(s), popcorn, easy chair, etc.)

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 12:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i watch tv but only at night, and even then i dont really watch it, im usually on the computer. i spend my time during the day outside

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 06:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I don't have cable or a dish.  I do watch tv in spurts.  sometimes quite a bit sometimes I go weeks without watching it.  I just don't have the money to pay for cable or a dish.  I am like Johan I do watch it when I am traveling or at a friends' house . 

Watching something on TV has led me to investigate many subjects over the years.  I watch a program and want to know more about the subject so there I am at the library or bookstore finding more about the subject.  My bookcases reflect this . 

There are good and bad in everything.  It can be the Vast Wasteland that Neton Minow talked about or it can be used as a teaching tool. 

Depends on how it is used.

Susan

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 08:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

I'm not a great TV watcher but as Susan says there is good and bad in everything. It was on TV where I first saw Ric Burns Civil War series that led me to Shelby Footes' books and then to over 10 years of reading on this seemingly inexhaustible and fascinating subject. Prior to that TV series the USCW was just one of those things mentioned in "cowboy" films that put the guys in blue and the gray coats on opposite sides.

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 12:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Want to break the tv habit. Go to europe. Unless you're in some predominantly english speaking country, speak their language, essentially all you have on the box is CNN (which reruns practically 75% of its programming) and BBC. Glad to be home after 3 weeks in Italy/Spain.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Oct 31st, 2008 03:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

ive tried to give up tv before but found that i can not live without Bones and House and Survivor and a few others

Posted: Sat Nov 1st, 2008 02:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

no Military channel? no History international? no National Geographic? no TCM? no Fearnet? no NFL network? no Learning channel? no Fox news?.........I might get more reading done LOL!

Posted: Sat Nov 1st, 2008 03:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Wish I could do what Izzy has done, but I do have a few favorite channels and programs I would sorely miss. Hubby could not live without CNBC. He is addicted to that. Still, if I did what Izzy did, I'd have so much more time to do something...maybe the thing I put off most---exercise.

Posted: Sat Nov 1st, 2008 03:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

oh no the dreaded E word

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 08:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Oh yes the dreaded E word.  I have actually started walking to our library every afternoon.  That is a couple mile round trip over hill and dale.  Huff puff.  :P

Another thing I seem to have much more time for is cooking.  Gee, I wonder where I got that inspiration from.  Hmmmm.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 08:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

My computer screen is directly in front of me. Just a bit off my left elbow is my TV. About 80 percent of the time it's on news. Most of the rest of the time, it's on COPS. Tomorrow might be different.

Ole

Posted: Mon Nov 17th, 2008 01:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

izzy wrote: Oh yes the dreaded E word.  I have actually started walking to our library every afternoon.  That is a couple mile round trip over hill and dale.  Huff puff.  :P

Another thing I seem to have much more time for is cooking.  Gee, I wonder where I got that inspiration from.  Hmmmm.

some might dread the E word but i love it. i mostly work on my biceps, triceps and abs, im currently taking physical therapy so thats taking care of my legs. i gotta get tone now, so i can eat junk through the holidays so i wont have to lose that much weight come the start of the year. i gotta fit back in my size 2 bikini come May :D

Current time is 06:05 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3949 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.