Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Newt Gingrich's Alternate History Trilogy - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 03:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
jeffand

Mana: 

I really enjoyed these 3 books.  Has anyone else read them? I recommend them to all Civil War Buffs!

Last edited on Thu Nov 6th, 2008 03:36 pm by jeffand

Posted: Thu Nov 6th, 2008 10:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Not bad what ifs.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I picked up the paperbook version of "Gettysburg" by Gingrich not realizing it was an alternative history. When I realized it, I pitched the book. It's just me. I prefer to read "real" history or historical fiction, but alternative history is a genre that just doesn't interest me much.

Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 04:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I am with you Fan.  I mainly like to read history. If I read fiction it is usually mysteries. I have read a few historical fiction but what if's don't interest me.

Susan

Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 11:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I personally loved the Gingrich trilogy. But then I think alt-history is one of the most interesting genres to explore.
There's also a series entitled "the Lost Regiment" written by his co-writer William R. Forstchen that is also really good. It centers around a regiment of union troops who are transported through a space/time rift to a planet populated by decedents of other people from different periods in time who have also been snatched away. Oh yeah...the planets native population are these giant, warlike, nomadic creatures known collectively as the Horde who have a taste for Humans. 9 books in all tell the story of how this out of place regiment of Yankees help the displaced people of this alien world organize and fight for freedom against the Horde.
I know it sounds pretty far fetched but trust me this series is well written and action packed.

And it is currently being made into a feature film from paramount studios!

http://www.forstchen.com/

Last edited on Fri Nov 7th, 2008 11:27 pm by Captain Crow

Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
izzy

Mana: 

You're quite a SciFi fan.  I have never heard of the series, The Lost Regiment.  I read a scifi book, The Doomfarers of Coramonde by Brian Daley years ago.  It's about some Viet Nam soldiers getting transported into a fantasy land.  I've never run across Civil War era soldiers being woven into a scifi novel.

Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 11:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

trust me on this one izzy...these are some darn good books.
This guy has a solid historical background(PHD in history from Purdue)so his research isn't your typical slap-dash fiction writer fare. These books are more like Civil war fiction with a sci-fi element.

Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I just checked out the website you posted.  Interesting.  He has written a whole lot of books!  I see that he is from my area, Western NC.  I am surprised that I have not heard of him through the local grapevine.  I think I will look into The Lost Regiment series.

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 12:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I hope you enjoy it izz! those are some of my favorite books fiction or no.

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

I liked Gingrich's books (I din't tihink I would but hell I got them as a gift..).. I thought they started getting somewhat stretched towards the end..but it did keep my interest as it played a few of the more interesting "what ifs" and then opened up a whole new scenario...

ken

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 09:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Ran into Newt a couple of times while out to dinner at DC/Virginia restaurants. Wish I'd read his books prior to the meeting to be able to compliment him.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 10:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

Although I'm reasonably certain that Newt's books make fine reading, I make it a point to avoid alternative speculation. Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts.

ole

Posted: Sun Nov 9th, 2008 04:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

To each his own I always say. Alt-history is just escapism with a reality twist. Some Love it, some hate it, some are indifferent. As far as straight history goes I've found to a large extent it all depends on who's "facts" you prefer. Most people tend to filter out those bits of information that don't prop up their biases or theories anyway so what's wrong with a bit of fanciful speculation that is at least clearly meant as such.=+-I love this emoticon by the way......

Last edited on Sun Nov 9th, 2008 04:22 pm by Captain Crow

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 01:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm w/ Susan, Ole & Fan. I avoid alternate history & what ifs. That said I keep hearing how good the trilogy is and that I should read it. I'm holding out as long as possible but one day I may succumb to the dark side.

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 07:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

What you said, Johan. Get enough "what if" right here. I don't have to go out and buy it. (Although I hear that he and his ghost-writer really put together a good book.)

Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 01:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

gettysburgerrn:I liked Gingrich's books (I din't tihink I would but hell I got them as a gift..).. I thought they started getting somewhat stretched towards the end

I am in total agreement, gettysburgerrn. However, I would go further than you by stating I ended up thoroughly intellectually insulted by its hypothesis near the end. Now, let me say that I have a degree of admiration for the author. Not to be political at all here, I disagree with many of the mans ideas, but I generally believe him to be one of the more brilliant individuals who influences policy in Washington. I spotted the opening book in his trilogy "gettysburg", at a bookstore and bought it to read on a trip I was taking. My reaction to the book was mixed, I believe it had a few interesting points, it was well written, and I could see where he rationalized the plot. Not to say I was in agreement with many of his assertions, but at least I could see where he was coming from. Suffice to say, it was downhill for me from then on.

I will not ruin any plot details for any who might want to read this series, but I will bring up one proposterous and insulting assertion made in the latter stages-that western federal soldiers were superior to their eastern counterparts. That idea, taken alone, would have been enough for me to dismiss the latter books, but taken along with the latters hypothesis (apart from the seize of washington, which was not really outlandish) of events following gettysburg-well, not so good.

Sorry, I realize that some on this thread are proponents of the series. That is fine, perhaps my language is too strong in condemning the series. Every one is different, "different strokes, for different folks" as it were. It could be that you might enjoy the read. It is alternate history, after all, and none can say with certainty that events might have unfolded as Gingrich summises. I can only say for myself, however, that I hated them-I hated them so very, very much. I finsihed reading them only because I had already bought the last two and felt compelled to "get my moneys worth" before trading them at a paperback exchange store.

Posted: Fri Feb 27th, 2009 12:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Mr Hess53

Mana: 

Newt should stick to politics

Posted: Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 06:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
cascoly

Mana: 

The first volume covers the battle of Gettysburg, though with strategic maneuvers beyond anything contemplated by the actual participants. Like any successful counterfactual history, the authors are careful in their initial changes - in fact, most readers will not even be aware of the changes in the battle to after the end of the first day's fighting, but by this point many small changes have already occurred - enough changes in fact to lead Lee to a strategic masterstroke on a par with Jackson's Chancellorsville march.  From here the story rapidly diverges from what we know as history, but never beyond possibility, and it's amusing to see various participants like Sykes, Sickles, Joshua Chamberlain and others perform in this parallel universe.
The battles scenes are excellent and provide a closeup look at the experience of individual troops.  They note often how the opposing sides would arrange unofficial truces when the battles end. You'll probably suspect that the climactic battle of the second book won't resolve everything since there's still that third volume!  But that never subtracts from the tension & suspense of these books. Great history -  my only regret is that Gingrich didn't start writing novels earlier, rather than spending so much time fighting other battles in Congress.

One small annoyance is the tendency of the authors to put anachronistic quotes in the mouths of their actors.  The most prominent one was during a race between the armies towards the coast in which a general remarks "let the man on the farthest edge of the flanking troops touch the sea with his sleeve" - a statement actually made 50 years later by a German general during their flanking attack through Belgium.  There are several more of these pillaged pedantries scattered thru the books, but their effect is minimal.

Posted: Sat Apr 10th, 2010 10:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
wxdavid

Mana: 

I am a BIG  fan of Newts  in other  areas  but his book  here  blows    chunks of  moose   crap. I mean it is   VILE.

In order to  make his  Book  counter factual  he   has to do something that NO   Good historian   should  ever do.

Newt  changes the character and  professional abilities of one of the most  Underated Union Generals   ever... George  G meade.

in his  Book  he  actuallys  has Meade  cowering  in terror   while his    HQ at  GB ( lecister  House) is under attack.

Ok lets be  fair Meade was NO   Grant or Lee.  He   was proabaly as good as  Jackson and sherman. But no matter   how you feel  about Meade   to have  his  cower  in fear.... is  Just a   real Low  blow... and  a   direct attack on his  character.  

Posted: Mon Apr 12th, 2010 05:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
ole

Mana: 

I'm also a fan of Newt, but I won't read "his" alternate history books. I don't have enough time to read real history, let alone some speculation on what might have been.

Current time is 10:11 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4350 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.