Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

What's everyone reading these days? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 12:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

We haven't talked about books lately, and though I know everyone one here HATES that subject (ha!:D), I thought I'd bring it up.

Whatcha reading lately that might be worth sharing? Could be CW related or not. Do we read anything NOT about the Civil War??

I just finished a fine first novel by Steph Penney called "The Tenderness of Wolves," a mystery that takes place in Canada's fur trading territories in the late 1860s. Good strong characters, a couple good twists to the mystery. One of those you hate to see end but at the same time you want to end so you can find out what happens.

Humorous note: we have Reading Workshop each Monday in my classes where we spend all class--gasp!--reading silently and/or discussing what we're reading. That means--I suppose we all have to sacrifice something in our lives--I HAVE to read all period for five periods in a row.

Anyway, I'm reading "Nothing but Victory" at school, and one of my students looked at the cover today thoughtfully, and then said, "Dude, isn't that a football book? Do you like football?"

Pam

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 01:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

My current reading isn't CW related. I'm finishing a book called Moral Capital: Foundations of British Abolitionism, by my friend and old professor Christopher Brown. A wonderful look into the origins of the idea of abolition of the slave trade and slavery in the British empire in the late 18th century.

Next on my list is Six Frigates by Ian W. Toll.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

im working on Labyrinth, Little Women (i just cant get into that one) I Rode With Stonewall (or something like that) all seven Harry Potter books and two on kidney disease/failure/transplants

im one of those people who always has more than one book going at a time

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

In between studying, Stauffer's new book Giants - the paralled lives of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I just yesterday finished Albert Castel's book on William Clarke Quantrill: His Life and Times. What a homicidal maniac, but several of his fellow bushwhackers were even worse!

I have a brand new book on its way from Amazon. It is American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham.

In my pile of unread books is This Horrid Pit about the Battle of the Crater, Stephen King's Duma Key, and a book about General "Black Jack" Logan. So far I have managed only one chapter of The Bloody Crucible of Courage by Brent Nosworthy.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

oh, im also re-reading, White Christmas Bloody Christmas and The Meaning Of Our Tears. they are books on a murder that took place in the 30's or 40's in NC

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I just got back from our Community College.  I'm auditing a web site design class that uses the software Dreamweaver.  A friend dragged me to it and the professor is allowing me to audit the remainder of the course.  I plan on taking the entire course this winter along with Photoshop.  All that study will burn my brains down.  No CW for the next few months.

I moved my parents into an assisted living facility last August.  They loaded my SUV with a four drawer filing cabinet stuffed full of our family history and photos.  My brother, the computer geek, is going to set up a server in my house along with scanning equipment so that I can convert all that history into digital form.  I am coming to strongly suspect there is a circle of Dante's Hell reserved for scanning and web site design.

I am learning that Dreamweaver is just another name for "endless drop down menus hell".  It's like getting into the space shuttle for the first time and trying to figure out how to drive it a couple of blocks to the grocery store.

Help!  Boo hoo!  I'll see you on the other side. 

Ole:  Want my older brother, too?  I'll ship him out for free.

Last edited on Tue Nov 11th, 2008 09:56 am by izzy

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 02:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

izzy wrote: Ole:  Want my older brother, too?  I'll ship him out for free.

ole, ill ship you my younger brother for free also

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 03:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I am reading Harvard's Civil War the 20th Mass. , Just finished Baseball in Blue and Gray, also reading Just Plain Pickled to Death a mystery. Starting the Army of the Pacific , 1860-1866, and Have Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain to finish. Will also start They fought like Deamons this week also . I have books all over that are in various stages of being read.

Little Women is my favorite childrens novel. Jo March is my favorite character . I have read it many times in my lifetime and visited Orchard house a couple of times

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 04:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Currently reading "1491" by Charles Mann. Fantastic book that will enlighten you about the America's in the pre-Columbian 15th-century.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 06:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Currently reading:

'The Coming Fury' by Bruce Catton;
'Not War but Murder - Cold Harbor 1864' by Ernest B Furgurson;
'Battle Tactics of the Civil War' by Paddy Griffith

I do have some non-ACW books that I've just finished and are now horribly overdue at the library.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 02:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

Tim Smith's Champion Hill

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 03:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

"Johnny Reb" by Merritt Parmalee Allen

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 04:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Retreat from Gettysburg by Kent Masterson Brown

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 06:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

Ladies. Please! I have two older brothers and one younger. I really can't handle yours. Work it out as best you can; I want no part of it.

I'm still schlepping through "Southern Storm" by Noah Andre Trudeau. It takes a while, as I make copious notes on a copy of the "orders of battle."

Neat note: I watch CSpan 2 on the weekends when they do two days of watching and listening to authors. Saturday, who'd they have on? Noah Andre Trudeau talking about "Southern Storm." That doesn't happen. But it did.

Ole (I hope you've noted, Captain Crow, that I've gone back to capitalizing.)

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 07:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Would you believe a biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder?

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 08:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I've been in the mood lately for a good memoir/journal/diary, either Civil War or not. I mean a good one, because I don't often read them. They don't even have to be about/by someone well-known, just interesting or intriguing would be fine.  Any suggestions?

Pam

I just saw that I've reached 200 posts since I joined you folks back in June. Looks like I said a lot in the last six months, and no one's told me to zip my lip yet! A minor miracle!

Last edited on Tue Nov 11th, 2008 08:05 pm by pamc153PA

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Pam: Well, suggestions might depend on what you've already read. CW related, you can't go go wrong with Porter Alexander's Fighting for the Confederacy.

Posted: Tue Nov 11th, 2008 09:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

For the Union side, I highly recommend Frank Wilkeson's 'Turned inside out'. Not technically one I'm currently reading as I devoured it last week, but it's probably the best memoir I've read, at least since 'Co H'. His style is crisp, devoid of the Victorian flourish, and, at times, brutally frank*. There are even some bits that haunted me after I put the book down.

*pun not intended.

Last edited on Tue Nov 11th, 2008 09:20 pm by Kernow-Ox

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

pamc153PA wrote: I've been in the mood lately for a good memoir/journal/diary, either Civil War or not. I mean a good one, because I don't often read them. They don't even have to be about/by someone well-known, just interesting or intriguing would be fine.  Any suggestions?

May I suggest one of my favorite Civil War jounals Co. Aytch First Tennessee Regiment by Sam R. Watkins? He is so appealing. He was a private but quite literate so his writing is a joy to read. he was with the Army of Tennessee throughout the entire war and fought in its worst battles. It is amazing that he survived and that his writings survive. It is also instructive to read about the war from the "bottom", so to speak, rather than from the "top" by reading about generals and campaigns.

Current time is 04:00 pmPage:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4008 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.