Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

What's everyone reading these days? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 12:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

susansweet wrote:  Will also start They fought like Deamons this week also . I have books all over that are in various stages of being read.

This is an amazing coincidence! Today I just bought the paperback They Fought Like Demons: Women Soldiers in the Civil War because I had a Barnes and Noble gift certificate from last Christmas I found in the depths of my purse.

I started the book right away and have found it fascinating. Just one example, I didn't know there were any women sailors in the war! That blows me away. I also didn't know that no diary survives from any of the women who fought as soldiers or sailors in the war. Lastly it blows me away that some of these women were in the cavalry. I wonder if any were in artillery units.

It will be fun to see what you think of this book.

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 01:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

I'm half way through "The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat" by Earl J. Hess. Pretty thought provoking stuff.

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

David

Smith's Champion Hill is a really good book (the definitive book on the battle) on what I think was one of the most important battles of the entire cw. Unfortunately, little is left of this field.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 02:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm rereading The Phantom by Susan Kay, Trail of Memories by Louis Lamour, The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizibeth Moon, a PHD thesis The Genesis of Modern Military Small Arms by a friend and a set of letters by a member of the 15th IA VI.

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 05:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I just reread Hell in a Very Small Place which is about Dien Bien Phu.  Anyone who thinks the French don't fight should read this book along with The Price of Glory.

I'm waiting for Kenneth Noe's book on Perryville to arrive in the mail which will be my next read.

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 06:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Iron Duke, superb books both. Amyone who believes the French can't fight... is ignorant of military history. Foreign Legion has consistantly been one of the best units in the world since its inception. And the average French soldier has given good service at every opportunity.

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 06:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

Marie-I think a lot of adults remember Laura Ingalls Wilder and her stories with a lot of fond memories!

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 07:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
calcav1

Mana: 

I'm reading Trafalgar: The Nelson Touch by David Howarth.

In the evenings I read aloud to Browner and we are enjoying To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, a book we have both read before.

Berrydancer - I thought Six Frigates  was an excellent read.

Calcav

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

How fun to read aloud to someone . One of the things I miss about teaching is the time I spend reading to my students every single day. I love to Kill a Mockingbird . I bought a new copy a few years ago but have not gotten back to rereading it.
Susan

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 09:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Let's see... Right now I'm reading "Stonewall Jackson: The Man, The Soldier, The Legend". I'm up to the point when Jackson was a drillmaster in the VA army. At the same time I'm reading "KISS: Behind The Mask", "KISS And Make Up", "In the Hands of Providence: Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and the Civil War", Shelby Foote's "The Civil War: A Narrative", and I'm rereading Coddington's "The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command" for the 6th time. I guess you could say I'm also one of those people who reads more than one thing at a time.

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 09:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

I am re reading my Saki short stories again, and going to start Varina this weekend.

I have several on the nightstand I keep saying "hummm need to get the rest of this read!"

Susan, Tom has read me some pretty good books over the years, and one of my favorites was "Northwest Passage" by Kenneth Roberts. 

When I try to read to him, it just puts him to sleep!!

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 10:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
Sarladaise

Mana: 

"One Continuous Fight, the Retreat from Gettysburg" by Eric Wittenberg

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 10:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

I am currently reading An Unerring Fire: The Massacre at Fort Pillow by Richard L. Fuchs and American Indian Leaders: Studies in Diversity edited by R. David Edmunds.

Paula

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 11:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I've also been reading the regimental history of the 153rd PA (pretty specific, except that I have an ancestor in the 153rd), and also Mrs. Lincoln and Mrs. Keckley. I also read The Civil War News and Civil War Times pretty regularly.

Can I count If You Give a Mouse A Cookie as one of my reads, since it seems like I've been reading it every night lately. . . ?

And To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite book! I've read it at least a dozen times and it never gets old, which I guess is the mark of a good book.

Pam

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 12:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I Love If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.  One of the things I miss about teaching is reading children's books. 

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 01:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

http://www.idsabooks.com/cgi-bin/idb455/scan/mp=keywords/se=Civil%20War/st=sql/tf=title/tf=category/cs=no/em=yes

A site that endeavours to keep me in poverty...

Last edited on Thu Nov 13th, 2008 01:23 am by Johan Steele

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 01:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: http://www.idsabooks.com/cgi-bin/idb455/scan/mp=keywords/se=Civil%20War/st=sql/tf=title/tf=category/cs=no/em=yes

A site that endeavours to keep me in poverty...

wooo dogies, that site'll keep me in poverty too

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Mr. Steele,

The average American seems to have a very low opinion of the French military which is why I encourage everyone to read those two books.

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 03:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

The Iron Duke wrote: Mr. Steele,

The average American seems to have a very low opinion of the French military which is why I encourage everyone to read those two books.

I don't have a bad opinion of ANYBODY'S military or police, either.  That is a very dangerous opinion to hold. My philosophy of life is never understimate your enemy or even your friends.

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 10:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

I am currently reading the classic "Hell in a very Small Place" by Bernard Fall....I have had it on my shelf for like 100 years or so and finally opened it and am saying to myself "why didnt I read it earlier?"

KEn

Current time is 07:22 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2247 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 29 queries executed.