Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

What's everyone reading these days? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 06:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Crazy Delawares wrote: I'm half way through "The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat" by Earl J. Hess. Pretty thought provoking stuff.
Let us (me specifically :)) know what you think of that one.  I'm currently reading Shocktroops of the Confederacy:  Sharpshooters of the Army of Northern Virginia by Fred L. Ray.  I was thinking of the Rifle Musket as a follow up.  I am finding I enjoy reading about technical subjects as well as the more mainstream (?) historical events.

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 06:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Marie - I just finished reading Little House on the Prairie to my daughter (bedtime story) and now she wants me to find LIW's other books as well.

Susan - the Mouse books were some of my kid's favorites (they want something a bit longer now).  My son really liked If you Take a Mouse to the Movies.

My current list of books:

Shock Troops of the Confederacy
Systematic Design of Instruction
(for my class))))(
Order of the Phoenix (for my son)
Dixie Victorious
(counter factual)
Molly:  An American Girl (for my daughter)

There may be something else in there somewhere, but I get mixed up sometimes. 

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Tim, if you haven't already pick up Edwards Civil War Guns as it is a superb read and gives a good look at the CW era arms and their impact.

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 09:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Return to Bull Run : the campaign and battle of Second Manassas by John Hennessy. Pope really was oblivious...and a horse's patoot! I like Samuel Sturgis' comment, "I don't care for John Pope one pinch of owl dung!" This is the first scholarly examination of 2nd Manassas in quite a number of years; it's well-written and supported with lots of resources.

ArtorBart

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Tim , I was lucky enough to meet the author of the Mouse books at a conference. She was delightful to talk to . The American Girl books are great for girls. History and dolls all together . I hope you are reading to them everynight. It is so important.
Susan

Posted: Thu Nov 13th, 2008 10:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Johan

I've heard through the grapevine that for my for upcoming GB test they might ask several questions regarding artillery. In my reading there were primarily 3 artilery pieces at the burg - napoleons, parrots, ordinance rifles and 2 whitworths (csa). I'm guessing but I feel that they will throw up images of the various pieces and ask for recognition. Any good websites for study?

Doc C

Last edited on Thu Nov 13th, 2008 10:50 pm by Doc C

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 12:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

TimHoffman01 wrote: Molly:  An American Girl (for my daughter)
when i was little i read the American Girl books (i loved em) and i even had some of the dolls, then i got older and became more interested in playing with boys than dolls and all of them went into a bin with my baby clothes and baby blankets and stuff like that. but i still do have one doll that sits out on a shelf. she was a special order doll that was created to look like me, but i dont know if they still do that anymore.

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 02:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Doc C wrote: Johan

I've heard through the grapevine that for my for upcoming GB test they might ask several questions regarding artillery. In my reading there were primarily 3 artilery pieces at the burg - napoleons, parrots, ordinance rifles and 2 whitworths (csa). I'm guessing but I feel that they will throw up images of the various pieces and ask for recognition. Any good websites for study?

Doc C

Actually  Doc no site needed.  The 3" Rifle is the simplest w/ the cleanest lines.  The Napoleon has the swell at the muzzle (except CS which look like a 3" on steroids.  Parrot has the distinctive band around the breech and the Whitworth is pretty distinctive... I don't think I've ever seen a pic that doesn't show off the breech, even that said it's the slimest most dainty looking of the group.

As a note the CS also hauled about a dozen howitzers & 6 20 lb Parrott guns as well, I'm not certain what batteries they were w/ though.  There were actually 4 Whitworth's one each w/ Dearing, Henry, Eshleman & Garnett's Battalions.

http://www.newulmtel.net/~municipal/battery/

http://www.cwartillery.org/artillery.html

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 11:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Thanks Johan. My source, Pfanz, has that the CSA had 2 whitworths at GB, with McIntosh's Bat., Hurts Hardaway Art. (Ala) primarily in the Schurz woods area. One had intermitent break downs during day 2/3. Also, I looked through Newton's - Silent Sentinels (a good resource for GB Artilery, also George is a great GB guide). If you have any information regarding the numbers of whitworths let me know.

Thanks,

Doc C

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 05:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
David White

Mana: 

I've always heard there was just a section of Whitworth's under Hardaway.

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 06:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
13PA

Mana: 

Doc,

There were indeed only 2 Whitworths present at GB during the battle.
There are actually 4 in the GNMP's possesion though.
2 on the field and 2 at the VC/in storage.

Good luck on the exam!

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 09:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

What I have shows 1 w/ Dearing's Bttn that was attached to Pickett's Div of 1st Corps, 1 w/ Henry's Bttn which was part of Hood's command, 1 w/ Eshleman's Washington Lt Arty of 1st Corps Arty Reserve & 1 w/ Garnett's of Heth's Division.
That came out of Zimmermans Unit Organizations of the Civil War

But on further research and comparing that w/ a couple other TOE's I have for Gettysburg things don't quite mesh up.  I'll leave it to the experts as to why Zimmerman made the mistake.

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 09:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

I just finished listening to a pair of books:  Dick Francis Under Orders, a pretty interesting murder mystery.  Theses are the kind of books the better half likes and i often grab one to listen to while driving.  I have to admit I really enjoyed it, even learned something about the horse racing industry.

THe other book was The Boys' Crusade by Paul Fussell.  I couldn't stand it and I don't know whether to blame the narrator or the book.  But to make things frustrating I can't quite pin down any one thing that made me so cold to the book.  What may be to blame is that I just finished listening to a batch of Stephen Ambrose works which IMO the worst of was ten times the boook of this one.  Oh well, I'm off to see what audio goodies the better half brought home from the library today.

An Audio copy of Caesar's Commentaries is supposed to be in there.

Last edited on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 10:00 pm by Johan Steele

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

ole wrote: Ladies. Please! I have two older brothers and one younger. I really can't handle yours. Work it out as best you can; I want no part of it.

I'm still schlepping through "Southern Storm" by Noah Andre Trudeau. It takes a while, as I make copious notes on a copy of the "orders of battle."

Neat note: I watch CSpan 2 on the weekends when they do two days of watching and listening to authors. Saturday, who'd they have on? Noah Andre Trudeau talking about "Southern Storm." That doesn't happen. But it did.

Ole (I hope you've noted, Captain Crow, that I've gone back to capitalizing.)
:D

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 11:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

currently reading:
 1. Like Men of War-Noah Andre Trudeau
 2. When in The course of Human Events-Charles Adams
 3. Shelby's Expedition To Mexico-John N. Edwards
 4. The Battle Of Kursk- Glantz and House
 5. Sepp Dietrich: Hitler's Gladiator- Charles Messenger
 6. The Stand-Stephen King

I made the mistake of actually pulling all the unread books from my shelves a couple of days ago......a grand total of 46 books:shock:!!!

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 12:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
ole

Mana: 

I made the mistake of actually pulling all the unread books from my shelves a couple of days ago......a grand total of 46 books:shock:!!!

I can only wish I had only 46 unread books. One of my addictions is to buy a book that someone recommends (with good intentions), or when I happen upon a bargain. I can't tell you how many I've read, let alone how many I haven't.

Which reminds me, I really must reorganize and recategorize.

Ole

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 01:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan I use to haunt the outlet mall bookstores for books on tape when I was driving interstate 5 alot to visit friends and go to Oregon .  I built up quite a collection and passed them on to other friends.  Just loaned the last of the collection to a friend who was hit in the face with his chainsaw.  He is okay now and his eye was not damaged.  He loves to read so I loaned him my best ones to listen to while he recovered. 

I would find the strangest books in the outlet bookstores but listened to some interesting books.  I remember I found Joseph Wambaugh's true life story  The Firestarter at the outlet outside Gettysburg .   Found an interesting set of radio plays called Midnight Cab somewhere on the road.  They are Canadian.  I loved them , never did find all of them wish I had.   I need to get some new ones to listen to just driving around .  One of the strangest but most interesting was on the Circus fire in Hartford in the 1940's .  I kept finding reasons to drive to listen to it.

Susan

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 01:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Susan, I think there are just three books on CD left in our library that I haven't at least started listening to. Thank God for interlibrary loan. I have to admit that I never would have read many of the books I've listened to; adolescent books that stunned me by how well written they were such as the Artemis Fowl series & the Percy Jackson books. And my wife getting me hooked on some of her mystery writers that I never would have read such as... Elizabeth Peters & Sanford.

Ahhh the love of a book, your best friend. Sleeps when you put it down and ready to speak to you again when you pick it up.

Heh, I think I'm in the mood to read Susan Kay's the Phantom again.

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 01:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
59th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Susan, I'm weird about recored books while driving. I don't like to listen to talking, but prefer soft jazz instead played low. For one thing, I'm afraid the voice of a anarrator would act like a lullaby and put me to sleep.)))(

My sister, in contrast, listens to recorded novels on all her long trips.

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
60th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

oh and I'm sytill waiting on my Caesar's Commentaries... ARGHHHH!!!!!!

Current time is 08:59 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2217 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 30 queries executed.