Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

What's everyone reading these days? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 02:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
61st Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Fan, I'm the opposite. Around the house a narrator puts me to sleep but whilr driving I'm golden.

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 08:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
62nd Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

I put audio books on my MP3 player before going on long train journeys now. It saves having to lug fourteen CDs around and means I can enjoy the scenery at the same time.

Note to self: remember to turn the random function off before pressing 'play'.

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 12:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
63rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Fan, I thought books on tape would distract me but they don't. They have caused me to drive futher sometimes than I planned like the time I was listening to a Sherlock Holmes story and I reached my friend's house. I drove around the block a couple of times til I finished the story!!!
One of the best books on tape I listened to was Mary Queen of Scots. It was 25 tapes long. I was finding places to drive just to listen to it .

Johan I am a big mystery fan. I have come to love listening to Sue Grafton's alphabet series on tape only or rather cd now. I also love to listen to Larry McMurtry on Cd. I did his whole Berrybender series on tape instead of buying the novels .
Susan

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 12:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
64th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Fan, I'm with you.  I can't stand to have a talk tape on in the car.  Music is OK, but a talk tape distracts me and my mind goes off on some train of thought brought about by the subject and I lose my place in the story.  So I end up not paying attention to the road or what is going on in the narration all at the same time.  Within 30 seconds, no exageration, I just want to pop it out of the player and throw it out the window.  Frankly I just have an aversion to being read to.  I turn nasty if someone keeps reading aloud to me after I ask them to please stop.  The story has to go at my pace, not someone elses. 

Posted: Sun Nov 16th, 2008 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
65th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Usually around Veterans Day I try to reread my copy of Up Front by Bill Mauldin.  It reminds me of the men who were in the thick of it and it puts what they went through and survived in very human terms.  It's one of my favorite books Finished it last night... I mean this morning.

Posted: Sun Nov 16th, 2008 11:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
66th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Someone earlier mentioned young adult fiction, and I read a lot of it. It goes with the English teacher territory. It certainly isn't what I remember it being when I was a kid, if there was even such as category as "young adult fiction" then. There is some REALLY good writing out there for teens, with strong plots and realistic characters. Margaret Haddix, Jordan Sonnenblick, the Eragon books,etc. are good reads for teens. I can zoom through them fast, but I really do like some of them.

Pam

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
67th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I finished Kenneth Noe's book on Perryville. It was an interesting read but pretty much your stereotypical campaign study. Thomas partisans probably won't be big fans of this book.

Posted: Thu Dec 4th, 2008 06:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
68th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I'm now reading Shea and Hess's book on Pea Ridge.

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Dec 12th, 2008 02:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
71st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i like murder mysteries, pirate history books and war stories. not on cd though, it quickly puts me to sleep.

i like vampire/werewolf stuff as well, and the Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings series.

i mostly read historical stuff, im currently working on North Carolina And The Coming Of The Civil War, and just finished with The Pirates Of North Carolina.

Posted: Fri Dec 12th, 2008 03:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
72nd Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

Hi Southern Son,

Have you tried the Anne Rice series on vampires or do you feel those are way over the top?

nita

Posted: Fri Dec 12th, 2008 03:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
73rd Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

Currently reading 'First Lady of the Confederacy" and enjoying it very much. Still don't like Jeff too well.
Nita

Posted: Fri Dec 12th, 2008 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
74th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Just ran across this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/books/review/10Best-t.html?8bu&emc=bu

Doc C

Posted: Sat Dec 13th, 2008 03:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
75th Post
Kent Nielsen

Mana: 

Hi I'm in the middle of Shenadoah 1862: Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign by Peter Cozzens. It's quite good so far I must say. I had been reading books related to the Band of Brothers DVD series by HBO.

Posted: Sat Jan 31st, 2009 03:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
76th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

I see it's been a while since anybody's posted here, so maybe I'll bump it and see what happens.

I just finished reading two excellent historical mysteries -- SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD and QUEEN OF BEDLAM. They are both rather long; the first book runs well over 700 pages, and the second more than 600, but both are such excellent reads that I never once thought about the length, only how good they were.

The author is Robert McCammon. He began his career by writing horror stories, which is how I found him. His novels were, in most instances, a notch or two above the usual tripe found in the horror genre, and I read all his books. But eventually, he wanted to branch out into other genres--and that's where he ended up butting heads with the publishers, who wanted him to continue cranking out the same old thing. So he retired for about 10 years. Then, a few years ago, he came back with these two well-written, well-research historical mysteries set in the Colonies at the turn of the 18th century.

SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD is set in the Carolinsa in the fictional town of Fount Royal. The year is 1699, and a woman stands accused of witchcraft. The protagonist of the story is a young man, Matthew Corbett, who is the clerk of the magistrate sent to hear the case. There are mysteries within mysteries, but in the end, a series of seemingly unconnected events all start falling into place.

QUEEN OF BEDLAM continues Matthew's story. It is now 1702, and Matthew has moved to New York City, where a killer known as The Masker is stalking the streets. Again, intricate plotting, unusual and fascinating characters, and a fast-paced read.

I'm not always very good at writing reviews, but if you like to read historical mysteries, I can't recommend these two books highly enough.

Last edited on Sat Jan 31st, 2009 03:15 am by kj3553

Posted: Sat Jan 31st, 2009 01:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
77th Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

Just finished "Fanny Kemble's Civil Wars" and enjoyed it very much.(Thank you Susan) Now reading "Innocent Traitor" by Alison Weir.

Posted: Sat Jan 31st, 2009 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
78th Post
kj3553

Mana: 

I've got several other books by Ms. Weir. You'll have to let me know what you think of INNOCENT TRAITOR.

Posted: Sat Jan 31st, 2009 02:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
79th Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

I like the sound of the books you just mentioned.  Need to check those out!

I have read Alison Weir before and have a couple of others my sis-in-law sent me.  Always behind on my reading! 

Posted: Sat Jan 31st, 2009 03:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
80th Post
kj3553

Mana: 

I know what you mean about always behind. When it comes to fiction, my favorite books are historical mysteries. I've read mysteries set in just about every time and place -- Ancient Egypt, the Middle Ages, Colonial America and more.

I also like straight forward historical fiction, too. I ran across Allison Weir's books through my interest in Richard III. I believe she wrote a book about the Princes in the Tower, but I can't recall the name of the book.

Current time is 08:51 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5924 seconds (36% database + 64% PHP). 28 queries executed.