Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

What's everyone reading these days? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 4th, 2009 11:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
101st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

KJ3553, maybe you have read this book already. I read it last year. It is Irish Confederates: The Civil War's Forgotten Soldiers by Phillip Thomas Tucker.

I bought used it in paperback from Amazon.com, but it came looking brand new! It is an enjoyable book. Near March, I'm fond of reading about the participation of the Irish in the Civil War.

Posted: Wed Feb 4th, 2009 11:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
102nd Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

No, I haven't read that one. Thanks for the rec! Yeah, I get my Irish up around March, too. Might have something to do with having a great-grandfather named Timothy Patrick Leahy. ;-)

Posted: Thu Feb 5th, 2009 07:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
103rd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

The Irish Brigade in the Civil War:The 69th New York and Other Irish Regiments of the AOP by Joseph Bilby. Only a short book, 132 pages, with another 100 pages of Appedix, Ordnance reports and photos. Well worth a look.

You have chosen to ignore yankhater. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Feb 9th, 2009 04:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
105th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Has anyone picked this up? I read his book on Grant and Sherman. I personally think 1864 is the most interesting year of the war.

http://www.amazon.com/1864-Lincoln-at-Gates-History/dp/1416552286/ref=pd_sim_b_17

Posted: Mon Feb 9th, 2009 06:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
106th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Iron Duke, that book looks very interesting. In fact, Flood's book on Grant and Sherman is another one I have been considering reading for quite some time.

Posted: Mon Feb 9th, 2009 07:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
107th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Just joined the Paperback Book Club (as if I need more books). My first order is below:

THE SPICE AND HERB BIBLE, SECOND EDITION -Here's how weird we are. We have two bathrooms. One has a huge tub big enough for three people, which we never use because of the amount of hot water it takes to fill. The other has a regular tub. So we converted the big tub into an indoor herb garden. Laid in a plastic liner, added soil and fertilizer and hung a heat lamp over it. Presto - a bug-free, disease free herb garden (and the best smelling bathroom around  )

JAMES MADISON  - Made the mistake of ordering this before reading some of the reviews, many of which say it reads like a text book. We'll see.

AERIAL ATLAS OF THE HOLY LAND - Not a religious person by any means, but the history and sites of the lands intrique me.

WE INTERRUPT THIS BROADCAST - Nice looking book + CD's with recordings of news casts of important events of the 20th century.

HOW TO COOK EVERYTHING - I LOVE to cook. Everyone says if you could only have one cookbook, this is the one it should be. Almost 1,000 pages! Can't wait.

CENSORED 2009  - According to the blurb: "Beyond a media fixated on Joe the Plumber and lipstick on a pig, events that forever changed the lives of millions around the world went unnoticed, underreported and sometimes out-and-out ignored."

I KNOW none of us have enough books!

Posted: Mon Feb 9th, 2009 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
108th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Wow, get out, Joe! I wonder if my husband would go for the herb garden in the tub idea. . . we only have one tub, however. I'd love to be able to stroll upstairs for some fresh basil or cilantro in the dead of winter. And, you know, it gives a whole new meaning to an herbal bath. . .

Pam

Posted: Mon Feb 9th, 2009 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
109th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Wow! In South Florida indoor "herb gardens" usually refer to another variety of plant. :shock:

Posted: Mon Feb 9th, 2009 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
110th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Wow! In South Florida indoor "herb gardens" usually refer to another variety of plant. :shock:

Cleburne, please note I didn't say WHICH herbs I was growing ;) As a former resident of the Everglades though, I know you're right!

Posted: Mon Feb 9th, 2009 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
111th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: Wow! In South Florida indoor "herb gardens" usually refer to another variety of plant. :shock:

Cleburne, please note I didn't say WHICH herbs I was growing ;) As a former resident of the Everglades though, I know you're right!

Enjoy your herbs---er, ah, ghost orchids!:D:D:D

Posted: Tue Feb 10th, 2009 02:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
112th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

CleburneFan,

Flood's book on Grant and Sherman is more of an introduction to the subject, IMO. I didn't find a whole lot of new information beyond their prewar years.

Posted: Tue Feb 10th, 2009 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
113th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Iron Duke, thanks for telling me that. I do appreciate it. I have probably read much of that in the many books I have read about either and both generals.

Posted: Thu Feb 12th, 2009 08:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
114th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm in the process of trying to read Southern Storm by Trudeau.  I had forgotten why I enjoyed his works so much.  His style, his accuracy and honest to god hardcore research reminded me w/in the first 20 pages.

Posted: Mon Feb 16th, 2009 02:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
115th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I've decided to tackle the 3 volume set of Lee's Lieutenants.  I've already read the abridged version so I'm ready for the real thing. 

Posted: Mon Feb 16th, 2009 04:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
116th Post
ole

Mana: 

You're supposed to start that trilogy at the beginning of winter, Duke; not at the end.

Ole

Posted: Tue Feb 17th, 2009 02:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
117th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I've always felt that the ACW was always more of a Spring/Summer topic of reading.  The difference between Freeman's tone of writing and that of Thomas Connelly's is striking.

Last edited on Tue Feb 17th, 2009 05:07 am by The Iron Duke

Posted: Tue Feb 17th, 2009 09:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
118th Post
David White

Mana: 

Iron Duke:

The difference between Freeman's tone of writing and that of Thomas Connelly's is striking

How so? I always thought Connelly is about as close to Lee Lts. we may ever see for the AoT. Enjoyed both throughly but it's been a few years for both.

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 12:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
119th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Freeman's books seem to be more of a narrative while Connelly's are academic and analytical. Freeman's writing is much more positive; even if an officer ultimately fails, most of them at some point during their career did something positive for the Confederacy. With Connelly, most everyone comes off as an incompetent buffoon.

I would never say that the generalship of the Tennessee army was better than Lee's but were they truly THAT bad?

Posted: Wed Feb 18th, 2009 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
120th Post
tr1strev

Mana: 

I'm just finishing "The Last Full Measure" by Jeff Shaara. My next will by "The Impending Crisis" by Potter. I've never read much on the coming of the war.

Current time is 01:38 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > What's everyone reading these days?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4548 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 28 queries executed.