Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Re Johan Steele - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 03:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ole

Mana: 

Hi, my name is Brittany. Shane wanted me to write. I'm a nurse taking care of Shane. Shane has been in a severe car accident and has broken both arms and his right leg and will not be online for awhile. Shane would like you to forward this information to the rest of the mod staff. Shane has asked that I give you my email address if you were to have any questions however I would not be able to give you detailed information about his condition. My address is bmbrown@gundluth.org.

Thought you all might want to know

Ole

Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 03:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Damn. Ole. thanks for forwarding this. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I wish Johan a speedy recovery. Laurie and I will keep him in our thoughts. Please continue to post any other info you get.

Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 08:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Kernow-Ox

Mana: 

Thinking of him and his family, and I hope he is back in action soon.

Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 12:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Darn what a thing to happen right before the holiday. Wishing him and his a speedy recovery. Will miss him til he returns here.
Susan

Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 01:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Marie

Mana: 

My thoughts and prayers are with Shane and his family.

Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 07:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Get well soon Shane, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 08:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 09:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Hang tough, Shane! I'll keep you in my daily prayers!

Posted: Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 11:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Shane, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'll miss your input--you're the guy I turn to for answers on the board!

Pam

Posted: Wed Dec 24th, 2008 12:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

From another board:

I just got off the telephone with Shane and his father.

Here is the latest as of 13:50 hours 23, December, 2008:

Shane Christen is located at:
Gundersen Lutheran
1900 South Avenue
Room #3307
LaCrosse, Wisconsin 54601
-------------
Father Mr. Christen is with son; taking calls if necessary; 1-800-362-9567 ext. 3307
(Cards and letters ok--no flowers of any sort)
Injuries - Had to have surgery, under heavy pain medications, 2 broken arms, right leg, chest injuries (air bag, steering wheel) shoulder (seat belt). Father didn't want to say more; he is watching Shane like a hawk (medically also). Shane is in extreme pain and cannot talk but a minute before he has to stop.

Wife-Bobbi
Suffered facial fracture, concussion and should be released soon with other injuries not specified. She was taken to a separate hospital.

Children - Myra and Aubrey involved - Myra-Rul; is confined to bed with injuries; Aubrey in seat carrier minor scratch.

It may be more than 3 months for Shane to get back into any mobility. He was so (for a lack of better terms) emotional; knowing how many prayers are given and how many people expressed their caring and best wishes.

Potential problems - Mr. Christen (Shane's father) is not sure if either Shane or Bobbi have insurance to cover their inability to work. Shane is a US Air Force veteran so, isn't under active AF coverage. This may be an issue of financial hardship in the near future but, Mr. Christen said priority right now is recovery.

Accident happened on a down grade slope in poor weather conditions and a spot was bad enough to send the mini-van out of control and cross the double yellow.
Van is a total.

-----
Now for all -- just prayers, send letters if you like (include screen name if you will) and or cards.

Note: The poor weather was ice and blowing snow causing occasional white-outs. Just about did one of those myself on Sunday. Drove what ordinarily is 75 miles (and the conditions were not, at that time, as bad as they were in northern Iowa at the same time.)

Those of you unfortunate to have not grown up in the northern plains may puzzle why they were out in that weather. Those of you who grew up on the plains and may still be there will understand that if you have to stay home in bad weather, you aren't going to go anywhere from November to April.

No doubt they were on the way to spend some time with his father who lives in Northern Iowa. This time, it didn't work out as they had planned. It happens.

The outpouring warmth, although he doesn't crave the attention, can't hurt.

Ole

Posted: Wed Dec 24th, 2008 02:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Ole thanks so much for the information.  I will send a card as soon as I can get one .  I was wondering if the family was with him.  This sounds like a major recovery time.  Relieved to know the children and his wife are okay . 

Please keep us informed .  He sounds like he sure doesn't need a lot of phone calls right now.  Just notes to let him know we are all praying for him and have him and his family in our thoughts. 

Susan

Posted: Wed Dec 24th, 2008 01:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ashbel

Mana: 

Shane

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for a speedy and complete recovery.

Posted: Wed Dec 24th, 2008 04:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Thanks for the update Ole.  Wow. Scary. My prayers and best wishes to him and his family.

Posted: Sat Dec 27th, 2008 02:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I am sorry to hear about Johan, but thank God that he and is family are not hurt worse....I hope to meet you again, my freind, on the glorious field of battle!!

Just a side note: if anyone's missed my presence the last month or so, it is because I've been indefinately laid-off from my job and do not have a computer at home. Hope no one thought I was mad!

Anyway, God bless Johan and family and we hope for a full and speedy recovery!!

Posted: Sat Dec 27th, 2008 02:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

Further developments:

A campaign is developing to establish a fund at Shane's bank into which contributions can be made. The re-enacting community is being advised and one might be sure that his local community is also advised.

Bobbi was a full-time mom. As you might imagine, Shane will not be working for quite some time.

More as the structure develops.

Ole

Posted: Sat Dec 27th, 2008 02:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Thanks Ole.  I was wondering if a fund would be developed.  Keep us updated as to when the account is set up and where to send the check. 

Susan

Posted: Sat Dec 27th, 2008 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Albert Sailhorst wrote:Just a side note: if anyone's missed my presence the last month or so, it is because I've been indefinately laid-off from my job and do not have a computer at home. Hope no one thought I was mad!
nope didnt think you were mad, just thought you got to busy for us, as that is happening a lot. you need a home computer, we have had one for years, and last year i learned how to use it. im not big into technology so this year i gotta learn how to use my Wii. it took my 10 year old brother 5 minutes to hook it up and get playing,  and i still dont know what way the disk goes in.

Posted: Sun Dec 28th, 2008 10:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ole

Mana: 

Just now talked to Shane. Send cards and letters. Please do not call.

I was expecting the phone to be picked up by his dad or Bobbi, but was surprised that he answered. Apparently, he is not attended 24/7. He appreciates the calls and concern, but the simple act of picking up the phone was obviously agonizing. When I hung up, I was very sorry I called.

He still has two operations on tap for his leg and foot (the engine block crushed it, and there was a debate about just taking the whole thing off.). He has about 12 pounds of plate and screws and rods already installed with more to come. He is most grateful for the car seats his kids were in, and that Bobbi has been a functioning mother for some days now. And there was only one air bag -- his.

More details when I get them.

Ole

Posted: Mon Jan 5th, 2009 05:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
David White

Mana: 

Wow, sorry to hear this, best wishes and prayers for the best possible recovery.

Posted: Tue Jan 6th, 2009 08:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Hey, I see from the "Who Visited" thing on the front page that Johan was here today! Johan, soon as you're up to it, let us know how you and your family are doing. All the best...

Current time is 12:47 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4323 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.