Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Photos By Brady - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 8th, 2009 07:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i am currently reading a book called Photo By Brady. In the captions to the sides of the pictures in the book it tells which one of Brady's employees took the photos but it says that Brady always got the credit for taking all the photos. when looking closely at the photos in the book you can see in the corner a stamp saying Photo By Brady.

why did Brady put that stamp on his pictures? why did he take all the credit for taking all of the photos?

Posted: Thu Jan 8th, 2009 07:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Dixie,

I think it was a business thing, not that Brady wanted to take credit for what he didn't do. I think he was aware that some of the men in his employ (such as Gardner) were good at what they did, but it was his business, nonetheless. The stamp on the carte-de-visites was Brady as in business, not Brady as in "taken by." You know, like most businesses don't give individual acknowledgement for what their employees do as part of the business.

Pam

Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 12:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

oh, i think that makes more sense. i guess i just misunderstood.

Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 09:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I think Pam's right.  Brady had the studio and encouraged the photographers .  He is the one that displayed them and sold them to others. 

Gardener later went out on his own.  Timothy O Sullivan was another one of the great Brady photographers. 

Dixie find Gardener's Scrapbook I believe the book is called.  It has some of the powerful pictures of the battlefield that Gardener took.  I got my copy at Antietam one year but I have seen them other places as well. Also on line at Amazon.com

Susan

Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 09:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Close, Susan. It's 'Gardner's Photographic Sketchbook of the War' (1866).

But I had to look it up. CRS, you know. :D

Posted: Sat Jan 10th, 2009 12:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Thanks Pvt.  I was too lazy to walk in the other room to look at the book.  I just got home from a month in South Carolina .   What ever the title it is a great book of photographs or actually two books .

Susan

Posted: Wed Jan 21st, 2009 11:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

there was an episode of "Civil War Journal" that was quite informative re: Mr. Gardner...second season I believe.

Current time is 10:20 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3237 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.