Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Davis Tillson & Colored Regiments - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 03:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
rublamb

Mana: 

In the Davis Tillson biography  , it mentions his involvement with the 3rd NC Mounted Infantry which is described as a regiment of former slaves that performed scout and patrol duties.  Since the 3rd NC was a white regiment, I am trying to figure this out.  Was there also a colored 3rd NC that later changed it's name?  Or is the wrong name listed in the bio?  I need help because this ended up on a NC Civil War Trails marker and we are trying to correct.  Thanks

Here the link to the bio

http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/Biographies/BiosDavisTillson.htm

Last edited on Fri Feb 20th, 2009 08:40 pm by rublamb

Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 03:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome to the board. The correct Url is http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/Biographies/BiosDavisTillson.htm .

A trivia player wrote most of the bios for us and I believe he's overseas at the moment. I'll do some research and see what I can find.

Edit: I must be missing something :shock: The URL on these 2 posts looks identical, but I get Page Not Found on link in previous post, but the one in this post works. Strange.

Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 04:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I'm going to check into this more, but it does appear to be an error. Possibly the author confused the NC 3rd Regiment Mounted Infantry with the NC 3rd Regiment Infantry (which was colored troops). If so, then the date of formation is incorrect as well.

3rd Regiment Mounted Infantry

Organized at Knoxville, Tenn., June, 1864. Attached to 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, 23rd Army Corps, Dept. of Ohio, to February, 1865. 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, District East Tennessee, Dept. of the Cumberland, August, 1865.
SERVICE.-- Scout and patrol duty about Knoxville, Tenn., and in East Tennessee until December, 1864. Scout from Morristown, Tenn., into North Carolina June 13-July 15, 1864. Camp Vance June 28. Russellville, Tenn., October 28. Big Pigeon River November 5-6. Moved to Paint Rock December 7. Expedition into Western North Carolina March 21-April 25, 1865. Moved to Boone, N. C., April 6, and to Asheville, N. C., April 27-30. Duty in North Carolina and East Tennessee until August, 1865. Mustered out August 8, 1865.

3rd Regiment Infantry (African Descent)

Organized at Norfolk, Va., January 30, 1864. Attached to District of Norfolk and Portsmouth, Va., Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina, to February, 1864. (A Detachment transferred with African Brigade from Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina to Folly Island, S. C., 10th Army Corps, Dept. of the South, July 29-August 9, 1863, and engaged in operations on Folly and Morris Islands against Fort Sumpter and Charleston, S.C., until December, 1863. Designation of Regiment changed 37th United States Colored Troops February 8, 1864.

Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 06:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
rublamb

Mana: 

For the context of the marker we are working on, the 3rd Mounted would be correct as they came into western North Carolina. So maybe the author had the correct Infantry name, but described them incorrectly. However, it doesn't look like Tillson organized the 3rd Mounted, so that would be incorrect as well. I am still wondering if there is another African Descent group organized by Tillson besides the 1st?

Current time is 10:44 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3311 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 26 queries executed.