Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Quotes form the Battle of Wilderness - Other Western Theater and Trans-Miss. - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 09:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

I'm doing a report on Wal-Mart vs. the Wilderness battlefield and want to add a quote from the battle to it. Are there any good quotes from the Battle of the Wilderness?

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 11:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

"It's all a damned mess! And our two armies ain't nothing but howling mobs!"
- A captured Confederate private gave this description of the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864.

Ulysses S. Grant on the evening of the first day of the battle of the Wilderness, when told that Lee would surely deliver a devastating counterattack: “Oh, I am heartily sick of hearing what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think that he is going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what we are going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do.”

"Battle be damned. It ain't no battle, it's a worse riot than Chickamauga! At Chickamauga there was at least a rear, but here there ain't neither front nor rear. It's all a damned mess! And our two armies ain't nothing but howling mobs."
        - A Confederate describes a Wilderness battle

Posted: Sat Jan 10th, 2009 05:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
fedreb

Mana: 

"The most immovable commander might have been shaken. But it was in just such sudden emergencies that General Grant was always at his best."---Lt Col Horace Porter.

Posted: Sat Jan 10th, 2009 05:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

" I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."----General Grant

Posted: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 04:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

"Texans always move them!"-R.E. Lee

"...a weird, uncanny contest-a battle of invisibles with invisibles"-federal soldier recounting the battle.

"Sure enough,  Robert  E. hasn't many men, but what he's got are right good ones, and I reckon you'll find it out before you leave here" Confederate prisoner to his Yankee captors.

Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2009 05:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Blue Bellied Yank

Mana: 

This is probably too late for your report, but I'll post it anyway...

"Some of us visited the Wilderness battle-ground and saw there the same sad scenes. The commingled bones of horse and rider, all the possessions of the soldiers, from the envelope with its faint address in a woman's hand, to the broken gun, lie scattered over the ground. Knapsacks, placed together by companies before they made a charge, and for which the owners never returned, remain in decaying heaps. 'Tis a gloomy sepulchre, where the trees, in tenderly covering with leaves the remains of the patriots, alone perform the last sad offices. The wind moans through the pines, tears fall at home for them, but they sleep on, unconscious of a weepeing nation.

An old gray-haired man leaned upon his hoe-handle, trying to quiet his trembling head, as he said, "Ah, sir there are thousands of both sides lying unburied in the Wilderness." 

- by one of Sherman's officers

From On Many A Bloody Field by Alan Gaff, page 420.

You have chosen to ignore sethg. click Here to view this post

Current time is 04:09 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2706 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.