Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > ThisMightyScourge.com - a new Civil War Blog

ThisMightyScourge.com - a new Civil War Blog - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 05:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Greetings Civil War buffs,

A couple of months ago, I had posted, that I was starting a new blog.  My blog was to focus on soldiers, companies, regiments and brigades, that fought in the Civil War.  My blog went live, in late December, and the content is growing every day.  I would like your opinion on the blog, and would would invite you to add comments to any of my posts.  I will be adding book reviews, over the next couple of weeks - as my reviews, on my other site have been well received.

Here is a link to the blog: http://ThisMightyScourge.com/.

Thanks for the bandwidth, and hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season - and a Happy New Year.

Mike Noirot

Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 12:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

I have one question concerning something on your blog that you have written.

"Longstreet always desired an independent command"

Now are you saying he didn't have one?

"but struggled when he had one." Now you say he has one but can't handle it.  What are you referring to here?

So I am going to say by looking at what you have posted so far is Northern Biased and you show nothing new.

I admire you for undertaking the task.

Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 01:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Perhaps learning a little more about Longstreet would help.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/longbio.htm

Last edited on Sun Jan 11th, 2009 01:18 pm by Old Blu

Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 03:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome to the board Mike.

Old Blu, I would agree with the statement regarding Lomgstreet on Mike's blog. The very page you refer him to says:

By now promoted to be the Confederacy's senior lieutenant general, he led an independent expedition into southeastern Virginia where he displayed a lack of ability on his own. Rejoining Lee, he opposed attacking at Gettysburg in favor of maneuvering Meade out of his position. Longstreet, who had come to believe in the strategic offense and the tactical defense, was proven right when the Confederate attacks on the second and third days were repulsed. Detached to reinforce Bragg in Georgia, he commanded a wing of the army on the second day at Chickamauga. In the dispute over the follow-up of the victory he was critical of Bragg and was soon detached to operate in East Tennessee. Here again he showed an incapacity for independent operations, especially in the siege of Knoxville. Rejoining Lee at the Wilderness, he was severely wounded, in the confusion, by Confederate troops. He resumed command in October during the Petersburg operations and commanded on the north side of the James. Lee's "Old War Horse" remained with his chief through the surrender at Appomattox.

Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 06:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

I think everyone that thinks a general or any officer, didn't do what he was supposed to do could at least post the reasons for their opinion.  Seemed all one sided to me.

Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 06:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Old Blu,

I appreciate you taking time, to visit my blog.  I try to make my blog as "independent" as I can.  I do not take sides with either the Confederacy - or the United States.  Quite honestly James Longstreet is one of my favorite generals, on either side.  He was pragmatic, an excellent judge of terrain and most importantly his men respected him.  He performed exceptionally, in many battles: First Manassas, Second Manssas, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chickamauga, Appomattox Campaign and many more.  I would even go so far, as to to state, that Longstreet performed well, at Gettysburg.  I did not consider him to be walking a "fine line towards insubordination," of Robert E Lee's orders, but offering an opinion, based on his experience - one that if followed, may have resulted in a much different outcome, at Gettysburg.  Robert E Lee considered Longstreet one of his most dependable lieutenants - and trusted his opinion.   The statement I made, regarding his long term desire, for an independent command, and his performance during independent commands, is well documented in many historical works.  By no means am I trying to be critical of him on my own accord.  I am stating facts as I have interpreted them.  There are plenty of commanders, on the Federal side, that I could also be critical of - John McClernand, Benjamin Butler, William "Baldy" Smith, Henry Halleck, etc.  You can count on me providing opinions on them, when I publish articles about their actions.

I would encourage you to sign up, for my blog, and post your opinions there.  My commentary, is my opinion.  It will not always be 100% unassailable, but I will never silence different opinions, than my own.  That is what I love about the Civil War - there are a variety of opinions, conclusions and debates about what happened - or did not happen.  Fortunately, there is plenty of room, for us enthusiasts, to have these differing opinions.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to visit http://ThisMightyScourge.com/ and provide your feedback.

Mike Noirot

Last edited on Sun Jan 11th, 2009 07:00 pm by mikenoirot

Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 07:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

You are welcome. 

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 03:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

The name of the site makes me think of the book by James McPherson.

Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 11:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

I read that book. It was a fairly interesting read. I was actually surprised the domain was available.

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 01:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Old Blu,

I posted an article on my blog, http://ThisMightyScourge.com/ that I believe you will find interesting. It is called, "The death of private James R. Montgomery." Check it out, and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Mike

Enjoyed your blog, especially Lloyd Tilghman. Interestingly, he's one of my ancestors and was born/raised just minutes from where I now live in Talbot Co., Maryland. Another aside, as you mentioned, he was killed at Champion Hill by a shell from the Chicago Merchantile Battery in which another of my ancestors served, Lt. Pinckney Cone.

Doc C

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 02:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Doc C,

Thank you for the kind words, in reference to my blog. I would encourage you to register for my blog, so you can comment on my articles. You may also register for an RSS feed so you will be notified of new articles.

Mike

Current time is 03:34 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > ThisMightyScourge.com - a new Civil War Blog

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3789 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.