Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > "Memoirs of Service Afloat During the War Between the States"

"Memoirs of Service Afloat During the War Between the States" - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 09:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

For quite a long time I have wanted to read this book because Raphael Seemes seems like a very interesting person to me. Are his memoirs a work of self-defense like Hood or is saying exactly what happend? I also have heard that he wrote memoirs from the Mexican American War, is that a good book?

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 05:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

I haven't read them but they have a reputation of being more a lawyerly like defense of the Confederacy more akin to Jeff Davis' memoirs than a chronicle of his experiences.

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 09:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

What are his memoirs from the Mexican American War like?

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 09:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

I have mentioned before on another thread that I regard Semmes as one of the wars more interesting characters and I love his story, commerce raiding in command of the "Sumter" and "Alabama", his sinking by "Kearsarge", escaping in time to command the James River Squadron before ending his war as an hon. Brig. General. I do have the book you ask about and have tried to read it several times but unfortunately I find it a seriously heavy read and I have never yet got far with it.One day though.....

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

How was it of what you read so far?

Posted: Thu Jan 15th, 2009 05:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

He appears to be telling it as it was but, as I say, it is a book that needs time to appreciate and that is something I don't have at the moment. There is an edited version called The Confederate Raider Alabama ( Philip van Doren Stern) which as its title suggests is mostly about the Alabama that is also sitting on the "to read pile".

Current time is 11:12 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > "Memoirs of Service Afloat During the War Between the States"

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3093 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.