Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

WWI Doughboy Helmet - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 15th, 2009 07:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

I bought a WWI doughboy helmet from Goodwill for about $12.99 a couple years ago. I'm 80% sure it's not a Brit's helmet, but I don't know how to tell the difference. It still has the liner in it, paint on it, and some triangles on both side of the helmet, which I think is the regimental insignia. I know it has to be more than $12.99, and I have seen some sold for quite a bit. How much might it be worth?                                                                                                

It looks sort of like the one shown below, but with 3 triangles on each side of the helmet.

Last edited on Thu Jan 15th, 2009 10:45 pm by 1861-65

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Thu Jan 15th, 2009 11:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Do you have a picture of the insignia?  The 3rd division of the BEF used the symbol below.

Posted: Fri Jan 16th, 2009 12:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

Nope, that's not it. I took a look at it again, and it has a black circle around one gray filled triangle. Then at the middle of the outside of the triangle there are two black lines going up on an angle. What would that be?

Last edited on Fri Jan 16th, 2009 02:18 am by 1861-65

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Fri Jan 16th, 2009 03:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

That sounds vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

Posted: Fri Jan 16th, 2009 03:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
David White

Mana: 

Well since the doughboy helmets were supplied by the British it might be British, I'm having a hard time imagining your rectangles can you find an example of it on the web somewhere. They did not usually put unit markings on helmets in WW1 that was more a WW2 thing.

Posted: Fri Jan 16th, 2009 07:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

Yes, I finally found it! I did some research, and it is from the WWI US Army 89th Division or the "Midwestern" Division. The one I found is being sold for $249.99! Well, I surely made quite a deal for buying it for about $12.99, and I could sell it for $249.99 or more! Lucky for me it's an exceptionally scarce and hard to find helmet! 
               :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited on Fri Jan 16th, 2009 09:25 pm by 1861-65

Current time is 06:02 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3284 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.