Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

"Galvanized Yankees" Question - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 09:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

Many of these men were loyal to the Confederacy when they were rebs, but when they were offered to help the Union in order to get out of their prisoner-of-war camp they quickly accepted. Though many of the “Galvanized Yankees” were now loyal to the Union, I was wondering if any of these "Galvanized Yankees" still had the Confederacy in mind and if they secretly worked for the Confederacy. Also are there cases of them rebelling against their Union officers in large numbers?

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 11:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Most of them were used to deal with the Indians in the west I believe...but honestly other than seeing them mentioned in passing regarding other subjects I haven't read much about G-Yanks. I'll bet someone here knows a bit about them though.

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 11:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

here's an interesting link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HsrhBfiB0RsC&dq=galvanized+yankees&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP9,M1

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 11:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I do believe quite a few came from the Union death camp in Chicago-Camp Douglas.

here's a link to a pretty good book re:

http://www.amazon.com/Die-Chicago-Confederate-Prisoners-Douglas/dp/1565543319/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232930726&sr=8-1

Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 11:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
1861-65
Running Reb

Mana: 

Captain, thanks for the links for the books. I might not get to them for quite a while, but they seem like good books worth reading

That old man...had my division massacred at Gettysburg!" - George Pickett said these words to John S. Mosby shortly after paying Lee a visit in Richmond "Well, it made you famous" - Mosby's reply to Pickett

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 11:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Devils Den

Mana: 

I believe the History Channel did a piece on Camp Douglas called "Eighty Acres of Hell"
Might hold you over until you get to the books!

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 02:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Believe Captain Crow has come closest: many, if not all of the Galvanized Yanks replaced US Regulars in the far western outposts. In any case, they were not expected  to fight against fellow Confederates.

Ole

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 04:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I know of no incident where Galvanized yanks fought CS troops. The Galvanized troops were all stationed at various forts in the west dealing w/ the Lakota, Dakota and other Native Americans. Desertion was a real problem, for both sides of the issue. Ever thought of walking from Ft Abercrombie (South of Fargo ND) to civilization? If the weather, Lakota or Dakota didn't get you the locals might.

I believe the title is: "A Year out west with the Yankee Army" (I may have the title all wrong but saw it at the gift shop in Ft Abercrombie IIRC) written by a galvanized yank on garrison duty on one of the countless forts facing the Lakota. His description of the 1864/65 winter is interesting.

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 05:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Good to see that you've gotten mobile enough to gain access to a computer.

Any winter in Northern Minnesota/North Dakota is interesting. In that northern tier of states, living in a house with a wood-burning stove was intolerable. Living in a tent? I can't imagine.

I have to believe that the galvanized Yanks might have occasionally wished themselves to back in the temperate climes of Camp Douglas or Rock Island. When minus 40 is not unusual (and it ain't), I just jink up the thermostat to 70.

When I think of the Georgia-born galvanized yank walking sentry in a far-north winter ... brrrrr.

Ole

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 07:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

So very glad to see Johan back posting. Hope this bodes well for you.

There is a book at the Drum on Galvenized Yankees. I work tomorrow . Will look at it and see what it has to say.

Ole you are making me feel cold just reading about those kinds of temperatures. BRRRRRR

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 08:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

We had -38 here last week; Ft Abercrombie (sp?) would have been brutal. Wood frame building... insullation, what's that? There are a couple books out there written by men who fought on both sides of the US flag; most seemed to have been proud of what they did, feeling no shame for what others might have called treason. They did what they needed to do to survive and certainly didn't seem to think those who hadn't been what they had been through had anything to say on the matter... I'm tempted to agree w/ them.

Anyway, for me it's day by day hour by hour. i have decided morphine SUCKS!!!!! Some days better than others, and you really would laugh if you saw me in front of this computer.

God Bless you all.

Posted: Tue Jan 27th, 2009 09:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Devils Den wrote: I believe the History Channel did a piece on Camp Douglas called "Eighty Acres of Hell"
Might hold you over until you get to the books!

That's actually a really good documentary...I DVR'd it a while back. 2 hours long and quite well done. I think I might choose dealing with the indians vs dying in wonderful camp Douglas.....Although winter in a tent in the Dakotas does not sound like any picnic.....coldest temp I've ever been exposed to for any length of time was -10 F. And that was working in a refrigerated food warehouse... but I got to go home and warm up in the morning...but then on the other hand over the summers I have enjoyed many 100+ days here in indian territory so it's probably a matter of acclimation.

bottom line: civil war era soldiers= some really tough folks!

Current time is 05:14 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1800 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.