Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Octuplets - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 28th, 2009 10:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I'm sure everyone has seen the news of the octuplets in LA. As a neonatologist I think this is a a travesty. I'm glad all the infants are doing fine (they're extremely lucky that they are all about 2 lbs and off the respirator, sounds small but, keepers in my practice). IMHO, the fertility doc should be tarred and feathered. THESE GUYS GOT EXTREMELY LUCKY WITH THE OUTCOME OF ALL THESE INFANTS THUS FAR. This is one of the reasons why I got out of full time neonatology. Sorry to post this on the present blog, but this just pisses me off.

Doc C

Last edited on Wed Jan 28th, 2009 10:53 pm by Doc C

Posted: Thu Jan 29th, 2009 01:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I agree with you, for whatever my opinion is worth.

Posted: Thu Jan 29th, 2009 01:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

if i had that many babies, id run screaming into the night

Posted: Thu Jan 29th, 2009 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

That's just the point, Dixie Girl. Eight infants born at one time present the parents with an overwhelming burden both financially and physically. Better one child a year for eight years than eight at once...better for the babies and better for the parents. 

Last edited on Thu Jan 29th, 2009 01:46 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri Jan 30th, 2009 05:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

The news tonight says the mother already has 6 children.  No ages of those children given.  She is still asking for her name not to be revealed and the hospital of course is honoring her wish.   It amazes me that the doctors gave a mother of six children fertility drugs .  You would think that six children would be enough. 

Shaking my head in amazement

Posted: Fri Jan 30th, 2009 11:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I heard the oldest of the first six children is 7. I don't know if multiple births was involved with the other five.

While I find this story to be appalling as well, I must say that Jay Leno had a funny line the other night about the birth of the octuplets. He said that when her water broke FEMA showed up.

Posted: Fri Jan 30th, 2009 12:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Now that is funny !!!

Posted: Fri Jan 30th, 2009 03:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

The news today is she is a 33 year old single mom living in her parents small three bedroom home and they are not wealthy by any means.  She has got to be mentally unbalanced and as Doc said originally, the fertility doctor should be shot after the tarring and feathering, what the hell was he thinking?

Pvt:  one of the earlier litters was twins.

Last edited on Fri Jan 30th, 2009 03:50 pm by David White

Posted: Fri Jan 30th, 2009 04:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

do yall think she's going for a Duggar clan of her own?? six is more than enough.....i love kids but 14 is crazy.

Posted: Fri Jan 30th, 2009 05:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Don't know her of her mental status. However, as often happens with the procedure multiples occur. Some centers, as is the case here, offered to reduce the number of fetuses but the mother refused. Creates quite an ethical deliema. My opinion for what its worth, the implantation of multiple embryos should be outlawed and some sort of financial help for the parents should be initiated to help with the expense. One of the reasons for multiple embryo implantation is to increase the odds of success and decrease the costs (many can't afford multiple one embryo implantations). We all end up paying for it one way or the other.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Jan 30th, 2009 05:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

One center where i was a neonatologist, had an extremely successful infertility doc. At one time we had 5 sets of twins, 3 triplets, 1 quad. Hell of a time talking to the parents and trying to remember the critters names.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Jan 30th, 2009 05:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

Very much an ethical dilemna, all I'll say as we are getting close to the no no topic.

Current time is 04:25 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3596 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.